Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Audiophile, Budgetphile, and Dontgiveaphile thread.

by samsonlonghair Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:52 pm

Sennheiser is a reputable name brand that has been making quality headphones for many years, but the seventy-four dollar price tag seems suspiciously low to me.

Please let us know how well these work for you.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:39 pm

I think the MSRP is $100 or $120 even, Amazon just has a good price on them right now.

IDK, I'm kinda scared. They're RF, I wish they were Bluetooth. The only time I used them, they sounded like an FM radio station (hmm, wonder why?). I was thinking maybe the battery way at low life (I used them right out of the box without charging it at all first) so I'll have to give them another shot. The thing that scares me though is all the 4 and 5 star Amazon reviews, then there's that one guy that's like "WAIT!" He explains that he's baffled why there's so many 4 and 5 star reviews because it's RF and sounds like a radio station, but everyone is going on about how great they sound.

Well, like I said, I'll give them another go with a fully charged batteries. Also, I only tried them on one source so far (digital piano). I'll try them out on other things and see what's what.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:55 pm

I recently set up a desk at the radio station with my own audio production workflow. I mostly used stuff that I had collecting dust at home to build this mini-studio.
On the right side is my old Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop with an IBM keyboard, a Dell USB mouse, a WD external HD and a Samsung Syncmaster 215tw. This computer is connected to a logitech 5.1 surround system.

On the left side is my macbook pro a1150 with an Apple USB keyboard from a G4 imac, a Microsoft optical USB trackball, and a Hanns•G DVI monitor. This Mac is connected to an oldschool LXI Model 594 Integrated Tuner/Amplifier which in turn can output to my set of JVC stereo speakers, my set of RCA stereo speakers, or my Pioneer center speaker. I can change speaker outputs with the touch of a button.

I also keep one of those Crosley retro radios so I can monitor the signal from my desk.

Not too bad for a bunch of Garage sale and goodwill crap, eh? I'm a budgetphile for sure.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:24 pm

What version of Audition do you have?

I was using Cool Edit Pro 2.0 for a while, then I upgraded to (the rebranded) Audition 3.0. IIRC, Adobe made it subscription based now, so I'll probably never update. I mean, I wouldn't mind if it was something I was using every day, or at least a few times a week. But just as a hobby, subscription based stuff sucks (I'll easily go months without using it). Which sucks because I love Audition, it's so easy to use.
jp1
Next-Gen

by jp1 Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:30 pm

samsonlonghair wrote:I recently set up a desk at the radio station with my own audio production workflow. I mostly used stuff that I had collecting dust at home to build this mini-studio.
On the right side is my old Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop with an IBM keyboard, a Dell USB mouse, a WD external HD and a Samsung Syncmaster 215tw. This computer is connected to a logitech 5.1 surround system.

On the left side is my macbook pro a1150 with an Apple USB keyboard from a G4 imac, a Microsoft optical USB trackball, and a Hanns•G DVI monitor. This Mac is connected to an oldschool LXI Model 594 Integrated Tuner/Amplifier which in turn can output to my set of JVC stereo speakers, my set of RCA stereo speakers, or my Pioneer center speaker. I can change speaker outputs with the touch of a button.

I also keep one of those Crosley retro radios so I can monitor the signal from my desk.

Not too bad for a bunch of Garage sale and goodwill crap, eh? I'm a budgetphile for sure.

It looks like a nice setup Samson. I like the Cake poster too. Do you queu up playlists ahead of airtime or work on the fly? I ask because of the collection of CDs. Anyway, nice, clean, budget setup.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:32 pm

Posted this on Facebook and got nothing...will try here:

Has anyone who's bought one in the past few years make a good turntable recommendation? My "vintage" 1980s Sony one is past its prime and I want something to replace it. I don't want/care about something with MP3 conversion tech, something for mixing/DJ tables, or anything with an internal speaker - this will need to be hooked into a stereo system via RCA stereo cables. I want something that is dependable and easily serviceable, has whatever requisite bells and whistles they come with these days, etc. Everything I've seen in Target/Best Buy/FYE/etc. fails to meet these requirements...so suggestions would be helpful!
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:08 pm

It'd really depend on your budget I think.

I feel like the most affordable good stuff is still going to be used equipment from the 80s and such. My Technics SL-D2 has held up well for me, cost me around $80.

You'll need to buy a new cartridge/needle right away most likely though and if you don't have a phono input on your receiver you'll need a separate preamp.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:00 pm

Interestingly, you always hear how direct drive is better than belt driven turntables. I work with a guy that's a super turntable enthusiast. Aside from just having a massive vinyl collection, he's actually planning a business right now for pressing vinyl so I'd assume he knows a thing or two about the medium. Anyway, he mentioned to me that, for listening to music, belt drives are the way to go. I didn't have the time to get into it more than that (we were at work).

AppleQueso wrote:You'll need to buy a new cartridge/needle right away most likely though

I know you meant this about a used turntable from the 80's, but I thought I'd mention this as well. I read once that tables meant for DJs have a somewhat different needle then what you'd find on a home table. It's heavier or something. I read that it'll wear out your records faster, so if you have such a table then you wanna get a different needle for it. I say this because there's a lot of tables currently being manufactured, but a lot of them are made for DJs. If you're gonna buy a new table, these are the kind to get. The others are mostly pure junk.

AppleQueso wrote:and if you don't have a phono input on your receiver you'll need a separate preamp.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good preamp?

I currently have this cheap one. It gets the job done, and the music doesn't sound awful. My only real complaint is that the volume output is pretty low. I got it because my old turntable had a preamp built into it. When I got my new table, I needed a preamp fast and I couldn't afford anything better at the time. I meant to eventually upgrade it, but I haven't yet. Mostly because I don't know what to get. I wanna get the last phono preamp I'll ever buy, but I don't wanna spend a fortune on it (budgetphile).

I've had this one on my wishlist for a while. I have a couple ART products (headphone amp, phantom power supply, and a passive direct box) and I love them. They do what they're suppose to do, and well, and they're built like tanks (pretty sure you can drive over them with the car and they'd be OK).
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:23 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:If you're gonna buy a new table, these are the kind to get. The others are mostly pure junk.

I wouldn't go that far, necessarily, but yeah the basic turntable you'll find a at a big box retailer is typically going to be junk and not worth the money.

Most of the 'budget' brand new non-DJ turntables I see that still get respect from hi fi enthusiasts and such seem to start near the $300 range. A bit much for my taste.

A lot of the older used stuff you can buy is just as good though, so idk. It's also been a while since I've been looking. I kinda got the equipment that works for me at the budget I wanted to work in after a lot of research and didn't really bother much since.

Preamp wise, I have the TCC-750 from here:
http://www.phonopreamps.com/

That stuff is generally pretty well regarded despite the very web 1.0 site design.

and I know y'all didn't ask, but needle wise I got stuff from here:
http://www.edsaunders.com/reded.htm

It's p. much the best bang for your buck if you're on a budget. Pretty much the best in its price range.

also I think I have that same ART direct box you mentioned. It does its job well.
jp1
Next-Gen

by jp1 Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:47 am

Sorry Dave, I haven't got a clue. I'm just getting into vinyl and fortunately my uncle had some extra tables, I am going with an older high end Technics. Supposedly no preamp is necessary if you ate using a modern avr. My challenge will be finding quality vinyl. Post some follow up on were you land on this if you don't mind. I'm wondering if updating is worth the expense.
Return to Game Rooms & Home Theater