Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

Re: Audiophile, Budgetphile, and Dontgiveaphile thread.

by Ziggy587 Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:21 pm

So I can't find AVRs on the Tascam website, but I was just looking at one on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/PA-R200-7-2-Chann ... B00B9ABE32

Looks similar to my Onkyo 5.1. In fact, check out this Onkyo 7.1 for example...

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR636-7- ... o+receiver

They're so similar. Look at the remotes, they're exactly alike. So... Are Onkyo rebranded Tascams? Or the other way around?

TSTR wrote:I think everyone's first recording device was a Tascam 4-track. If not, it should have been. 8)

I loved that thing. I still have some tapes lying around that I need to transfer to PC before they go bad.
jp1
Next-Gen

by jp1 Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:43 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:So I can't find AVRs on the Tascam website, but I was just looking at one on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/PA-R200-7-2-Chann ... B00B9ABE32

Looks similar to my Onkyo 5.1. In fact, check out this Onkyo 7.1 for example...

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR636-7- ... o+receiver

They're so similar. Look at the remotes, they're exactly alike. So... Are Onkyo rebranded Tascams? Or the other way around?

TSTR wrote:I think everyone's first recording device was a Tascam 4-track. If not, it should have been. 8)

I loved that thing. I still have some tapes lying around that I need to transfer to PC before they go bad.

Onkyo bought out Teac a little while back. So, the Tascam would be the commercial version of the retail Onkyo. I read, but can't speculate, that while similar to the Onkyo the Tascam may have sturdier build and a couple extra features. Having real world experience with neither AVR that is just based on some info I found while researching the Tascam, so who knows?

Those particular models just went for ~$100 each from the seller I mentioned by the way. Check his completed listings.

EDIT: More accurately Gibson purchased Onkyo, and then purchased Teac.

AND AGAIN: http://tascam.com/product/pa-r200/
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:56 pm

They're probably the same base build, but if Tascam has extra features those are added (like the rack mountable brackets) and they're just branded differently. From other similar things I've seen, I bet they have the same innards, but the Onkyo might be "missing" some parts and/or the Tascam has different firmware. Similar to how there's one motherboard for a Compaq and HP, but the HP has extra hardware (more PCI and RAM slots, more SATA headers, etc) and a different BIOS, but it's the same mobo otherwise.
jp1
Next-Gen

by jp1 Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:59 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:They're probably the same base build, but if Tascam has extra features those are added (like the rack mountable brackets) and they're just branded differently. From other similar things I've seen, I bet they have the same innards, but the Onkyo might be "missing" some parts and/or the Tascam has different firmware. Similar to how there's one motherboard for a Compaq and HP, but the HP has extra hardware (more PCI and RAM slots, more SATA headers, etc) and a different BIOS, but it's the same mobo otherwise.

That makes sense. I think the Tascam looks a little better too (just preference there), also I was wrong the 7.2 was going for $188 BIN, while the 5.2 went at $75 BIN. I hope he gets more of them. Looking at the back it does look as if there are some added ports, and the Tascam lists Marvell chip while I don't see that on the Onkyo.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:58 am

Ziggy587 wrote:

The new version would bee the Zoom h4n, I have two of those... But who can hate this guy:

I actually used one a couple years ago as a mixing console for a small event, because it was the only thing I had on hand that could take more than one input.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:22 am

This is the one I use to use (and still have)...

TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:26 am

I had this:

jp1
Next-Gen

by jp1 Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:22 pm

:oops: :cry:
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:48 pm

Won't lie, def messed with one of those as a kid.
jp1
Next-Gen

by jp1 Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:30 am

What???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-DCT-A1-pl ... 1c4a0b76a8

Now I will never be happy with my cd deck. $580 is too rich for me, but *jaw drop*.

EDIT: Really losing sleep when I make a typo that bad. :lol:
Last edited by jp1 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Return to Game Rooms & Home Theater