Audiophile, Budgetphile, and Dontgiveaphile thread.

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
ProxyCell

Re: Audiophile, Budgetphile, and Dontgiveaphile thread.

Post by ProxyCell »

Howdy y'all, I have a PS1 related audio question that I'm hoping you fine people can answer for me.

I plan to run the video through s-video but there appears to be 3 options for the audio. I own a SCPH-1001 model PS1 console and wondered if there was a difference between the "AV Multi Out" out or the RCA audio ports?

The third option is to go with the COMPONENT cables for the ps2/3 systems. I have read online that they do still work with the PS1.

So how about it? Which would be your preferred option in terms of quality in sound (and video!)? The cost isn't much of an issue as all of these cables are pretty cheap.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

ProxyCell wrote:Howdy y'all, I have a PS1 related audio question that I'm hoping you fine people can answer for me.

Howdy Proxy! Welcome to the forum! :mrgreen:

Let me see if I can help answer your questions...

ProxyCell wrote:I plan to run the video through s-video but there appears to be 3 options for the audio. I own a SCPH-1001 model PS1 console and wondered if there was a difference between the "AV Multi Out" out or the RCA audio ports?

That SCPH-1001 model is legendary for its digital-to-analog converter, but I'm assuming you already knew that. You may not know that the same console has an infamous defect in the plastic sled slide-rail mechanism that the optical drive uses. SONY updated subsequent models with a metal sled but an inferior DAC. Damned if you do; damned if you don't.

For your intents and purposes, the audio would be identical from the AV Multi Out as from the RCA jacks. The AV Multi Out is mostly there to give you different video options like S-Video or RF (not that I recommend RF).

ProxyCell wrote:The third option is to go with the COMPONENT cables for the ps2/3 systems. I have read online that they do still work with the PS1.

I'm afraid you have been misinformed, Proxy. The PS1 cannot output component irrespective of which cable you use. The PS1 supports RF video (bad), Composite video (acceptable), or S-Video (good).

ProxyCell wrote:So how about it? Which would be your preferred option in terms of quality in sound (and video!)? The cost isn't much of an issue as all of these cables are pretty cheap.

My preferred option would be to use different hardware altogether. The Playstation 2 can output digital sound via optical TOSLINK straight to your receiver. The Playstation 3 can output digital sound (and video) straight to your receiver via HDMI. Assuming that your receiver has a quality digital-to-analog converter, either of these options will give you better sound fidelity than any PS1 (even the legendary SCPH-1001).

Hope that helps. :D
ProxyCell

Post by ProxyCell »

samsonlonghair wrote:My preferred option would be to use different hardware altogether. The Playstation 2 can output digital sound via optical TOSLINK straight to your receiver. The Playstation 3 can output digital sound (and video) straight to your receiver via HDMI. Assuming that your receiver has a quality digital-to-analog converter, either of these options will give you better sound fidelity than any PS1 (even the legendary SCPH-1001).

Great reply samsonlonghair! I do have a PS2 and may play some PS1 games on that but there is are some other reasons for me to use the PS1 over the PS2 still:
1 - The gun-games - I'm not entirely certain that the light-gun games work the same on the PS2
2 - Fan translated games - I'm pretty intent on playing a bunch of these like Brigandine - I'm not sure if I can play a modified PS1 game on a PS2 - Not sure if this even is kosher with the rules of this forum either! But it does require a modded console to play and I do not have a modded PS2 right now. I do have a disc-swap thing with the PS1 though...

EDIT: okay.. a quick google search turned up enough results to make me understand that the two light guns for the ps1 do work with the ps2... HOWEVER they likely require the use of the PS2's multi av out cable which means NO component cable... though I suppose I could still use the TOSLINK audio out and s-video on the ps2's multi av out?
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

So its been over a week and fully dried and cleaned everything several times. Smoke test went off without an issue.

Even better, I found out my VE1 Vocal Eliminator did not get wet at all. I paid $5 for it years ago and through magic it lowers the volume on the primary vocal track only. I have no idea how it works, I have asked several Grammy winning sound engineers and they dont know either. Its magic and it works well for sampling.
marurun

Post by marurun »

fastbilly1 wrote:So its been over a week and fully dried and cleaned everything several times. Smoke test went off without an issue.

Even better, I found out my VE1 Vocal Eliminator did not get wet at all. I paid $5 for it years ago and through magic it lowers the volume on the primary vocal track only. I have no idea how it works, I have asked several Grammy winning sound engineers and they dont know either. Its magic and it works well for sampling.

Does any of this answer your question?

http://ethanwiner.com/novocals.html
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

marurun wrote:Does any of this answer your question?

http://ethanwiner.com/novocals.html

See magic!

Jokes aside, that is a great read and now I have an idea of how it works. Thank Marurun
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

fastbilly1 wrote:So its been over a week and fully dried and cleaned everything several times. Smoke test went off without an issue.

Awesome sauce! Glad everything works, fast!
ProxyCell wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:My preferred option would be to use different hardware altogether. The Playstation 2 can output digital sound via optical TOSLINK straight to your receiver. The Playstation 3 can output digital sound (and video) straight to your receiver via HDMI. Assuming that your receiver has a quality digital-to-analog converter, either of these options will give you better sound fidelity than any PS1 (even the legendary SCPH-1001).

Great reply samsonlonghair! I do have a PS2 and may play some PS1 games on that but there is are some other reasons for me to use the PS1 over the PS2 still:
1 - The gun-games - I'm not entirely certain that the light-gun games work the same on the PS2
2 - Fan translated games - I'm pretty intent on playing a bunch of these like Brigandine - I'm not sure if I can play a modified PS1 game on a PS2 - Not sure if this even is kosher with the rules of this forum either! But it does require a modded console to play and I do not have a modded PS2 right now. I do have a disc-swap thing with the PS1 though...

EDIT: okay.. a quick google search turned up enough results to make me understand that the two light guns for the ps1 do work with the ps2... HOWEVER they likely require the use of the PS2's multi av out cable which means NO component cable... though I suppose I could still use the TOSLINK audio out and s-video on the ps2's multi av out?

Hi Proxy, another racketboy regular named CRTgamer typed up a lengthy explanation about lightguns and what works with what. Let me see if I can find that thread...

Here it is:
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=18367&hilit=lightgun+crt

This should cover everything you need to know about playing lightgun games.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

My okyno 7.2 receiver from 2007 is dying. Any video, and therefore audio too, going through it stutters and I don't have this problem with anything directly plugged into the tv.
I am on a budget, under $300, and will only use it for tv/movies not really music. I am looking for advise on these two receivers (fyu, my tv is only 780 not 1080 or 4k)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-1015w ... Id=4914601

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-725 ... Id=5017800

I think the cheaper one is fine and the other is not worth the extra money for what I need...right?
So, any advise?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

While I have somewhat limited experience with 'em, personally, I'd buy a Yamaha receiver over a Sony any day of the week. Setting up the Sony one at my brother's house has always been like visiting a parallel dimension where nothing works like it's supposed to. Yamaha ones I or others in my family have owned, on the other hand, have been very solid.

Otherwise, there are certainly offerings from other manufacturers in that range, unless you're deliberately avoiding Onkyo/Pioneer and Denon/Marantz. I know Onkyo had a range with rampant HDMI board problems, but I think those were slightly newer than yours (2009-2012 or something). Or maybe that was just the ones they did the extended warranty program for.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

SpaceBooger wrote:My okyno 7.2 receiver from 2007 is dying. Any video, and therefore audio too, going through it stutters and I don't have this problem with anything directly plugged into the tv.
I am on a budget, under $300, and will only use it for tv/movies not really music. I am looking for advise on these two receivers (fyu, my tv is only 780 not 1080 or 4k)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-1015w ... Id=4914601

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-725 ... Id=5017800

I think the cheaper one is fine and the other is not worth the extra money for what I need...right?
So, any advise?

Hi Booger, How's the fam? You still encouraging the little one to get interested in retro gaming?

Stuttering video can sometimes be a symptom of an overheating receiver. Does it get warm when you're using it? I'm assuming that you haven't changed the location of your Onkyo, so the amount of airflow hasn't changed. Your old receiver must be long out of warranty, so there's no harm in busting out the screwdriver and taking the case off your Onkyo. See if you can clean out the dust from the inside. While you're in there, give it a quick visual inspection for things like leaky capacitors and broken solder. I think 2007~ish was the timeframe when manufacturers were transitioning from lead solder to lead-free solder. Some of the electronic stuff from this timeframe had bad soldering because the manufacturers hadn't refined their lead-free process yet. But that's not really what you asked for, is it?

SONY receivers vs Yahmaha receivers

You didn't ask about fixing the old one; you asked about buying a new one. Let's talk about SONY receivers vs Yahmaha receivers. I have owned both, and I feel confident that I can give you a meaningful impression of one vs the other.

Design Philosophy

Having owned both, I can say that SONY receivers are built with a different design philosophy and a different user experience in mind compared to Yamaha receivers. SONY builds a wide range of products that offer a good value proposition to the consumer, and SONY receivers are no exception. For the price range, SONY receivers offer an excellent value. Can you buy a better receiver? Sure you can! There are myriad better receivers, but they all cost more money. I see that the SONY receiver you linked is currently on sale for two hundred dollars. I feel confident in saying that you won't find a better brand new receiver at the two hundred dollar price point than what SONY is offering.

Yamaha includes every possible feature into their receivers. For this reason, Yamaha receivers always look really attractive on a spreadsheet. Name a feature you want out of your receiver; chances are the Yamaha receiver includes this feature. The Yamaha receiver can decode every kind of surround sound encoding and video format you can name (plus a dozen more you never new existed). A Yamaha receiver is the swiss army knife of the Audio/Video world. The Yamaha can do practically everything, but it isn't necessarily the best at doing anything. Sometimes Yamaha falls short on the implementation. Does it have bluetooth? Sure it does. Will that bluetooth connect to your phone? Eventually. Does the Yamaha have a USB port? Sure it does. Will that USB port charge your device while syncing? Maybe.

User Experience

The user experience between a SONY receiver and a Yamaha receiver may seem similar, but they're really worlds apart. The Yamaha receiver gives you a hundred thousand options to tune every detail exactly to your liking. The menu tree is laid out in a logical fashion, but it helps to have the manual handy for reference. Yamaha also includes a "YPAO" that (in theory) should help you setup your system automatically. This "YPAO" is a little plastic microphone that somehow tunes the system for you, but to be honest, I never used mine. I trust my own ears more than the five dollar microphone. I figure, what's the point of having a thousand options if you're going to leave everything set to automatic anyway? I defeats the purpose, don't you think?

The SONY receiver gives a completely different user experience. SONY designs their receiver to be setup and ready to play your music as quickly and simply as possible. Everything is plug and play; don't overthink it. You could probably setup the whole shebang without looking at the manual twice. For instance, If you turn on your Blu-ray player, then your SONY receiver will turn on, switch to the Blu-ray input, and turn on your television too. You don't have to program the SONY receiver to do that; it just assumes that's what you want to do. Now to be fair, the Yamaha probably includes the same function, but you're going to have to navigate the menu to program the Yamaha receiver to do this.

Conclusion

This may sound like I'm putting the SONY receiver above the Yamaha, but I'm not. The truth is, I personally enjoyed spending days on end fine-tuning my Yamaha receiver. I admit it was frustrating sometimes, but it was also satisfying when I got every aspect of my surround system set up exactly the way I wanted it. I'm also sufficiently self-aware to know that not every consumer wants what I want. I think most consumers wouldn't mind one bit for the SONY receiver to hold their hand through setup. The SONY consumer will be playing music and movies while the Yamaha consumer is still fiddling with settings buried four levels deep in the menu tree.

Buy the Yamaha receiver if you desire exacting control over every aspect of your surround system; Buy the SONY receiver if you want to forget you own a sound system while you watch the Avengers save the Universe. 8)