Audiophile, Budgetphile, and Dontgiveaphile thread.

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Ziggy

Re: Audiophile, Budgetphile, and Dontgiveaphile thread.

Post by Ziggy »

Wow, they're talked up quite a bit. Do they make a slightly smaller speaker? I've been looking for something to use as desktop speakers. Although I'd have to get or make a small amp.

Which reminds me, I'll have to get a (good) pair or studio monitors one day. I don't record much, but when I do I have nothing good to mix on. Desktop speakers never give you a good mix, and I'm not a fan of mixing on headphones.

What do you all use for desktop speakers? This is another one of those situations that I feel trapped in the No Man's Land situation. On my main desktop, I currently have cheap (about $25) Altec Lansing 2.1 desktop speakers. I really don't mind the way they sound, but the 3.5mm cable always craps out on me and the volume knob has dead spots in it (something that I've notice happens to almost ALL desktop speakers). I really don't need amazing speakers for the computer. I mainly just need it for basic computer sounds, and I'll occasionally listen to music when I'm too lazy to put the stereo on.

Speaking of which... I was thinking about upgrading my audio card. Currently, I'm just using the motherboard's on board audio (I have a separate USB interface for recording). I have 0 issues with it for the speakers, but on a rare occasion I'll use headphones. When I use headphones, there's a lot of white noise and interference. When music is playing it's not really noticeable (although the sound quality isn't amazing) but when the music stops there's a constant low buzzing. Also, there's some white noise that occurs when you click on stuff.

It's really annoying, but since I only rarely use headphones I haven't ever wanted to spend the money on a decent sound card. But also, I really like the way the software works for my current on board audio. I can plug anything into any audio jack and I'll get a pop up window on my computer, then I can select WHAT I want it to be. For example, I can plug a cable into any audio jack in the back and then select it as an additional stereo output. Or, when I plug my headphones in the front jack, I select that I want it to be a stereo output and mute all other outputs. Or I could plug in a cable and select it to be line in, or mic, or whatever. It's really useful. I'm sure other sound cards have software similar or exactly like this, but I've been too lazy to investigate. :lol:
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

jp1 wrote:Anyone looked into these?

http://www.cnet.com/news/dayton-b652-ai ... like-this/

I'm intrigued.

I haven't, but I've built most of my speakers that I'm using now with Dayton drivers. I'm sure the speaker building folks on the Parts Express forums have tested them, or will.

Ziggy587 wrote:What do you all use for desktop speakers?

Mission m70s with a sub I build, using an Audiosource AMP100 (plus a plate amp in the sub). Not exactly near-field optimized. :lol: I've seen some designs out there to build ones that are though.
jp1
Next-Gen

Post by jp1 »

Check out the micca mb42x they are tiny, have awesome reviews, and there is an eq correction profile available online for near perfect linear response. I haven't bought a pair (yet), but I've yet to see a bad review.

See below:

http://noaudiophile.com/Micca_MB42x_Bookshelf_Speakers/

http://www.amazon.com/Micca-MB42X-Books ... B00E7H8GG2

These also supposedly reach pretty deep in the bass for their size which is important if you don't want to invest in a sub.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Those look nice, and not too expensive. I wonder what my results would be like using that $20 amp that was being talked about on the second page.
jp1
Next-Gen

Post by jp1 »

Just watched a set in perfect condition go for $30 on eBay. That is a killer deal for a set with carbon fiber woofers and a complex crossover. I don't know if the lepai can push them though, they are rated 85 sensitivity so they aren't very sensitive. I guess it depends on how loud you want them.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Ah, I was just reading some Amazon reviews on the lepai and it doesn't seem like it'd work good for those speakers.
jp1
Next-Gen

Post by jp1 »

Yes, unfortunately cheap, high quality, and powerful don't come in one package for any amp I've found so far. I would love to find a nice 50-100 watt clean power amp for $75 or less.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Added a second Sony SA-W303 to my setup this weekend. Found it a yardsale for $10, figured it was worth it. It took about 30 minutes to clean it, put it in phase, and realign everything for the best bass I can get out of the pair. Now the system roars pretty powerfully for movies and gives a great balance for music.

I still plan on upgrading the system to pro audio when we get our next house (dedicated theater room or standalone theater on property depending on the price). This setup will endup in our Living Room/Library for audio only.
jp1
Next-Gen

Post by jp1 »

fastbilly1 wrote:Added a second Sony SA-W303 to my setup this weekend. Found it a yardsale for $10, figured it was worth it. It took about 30 minutes to clean it, put it in phase, and realign everything for the best bass I can get out of the pair. Now the system roars pretty powerfully for movies and gives a great balance for music.

I still plan on upgrading the system to pro audio when we get our next house (dedicated theater room or standalone theater on property depending on the price). This setup will endup in our Living Room/Library for audio only.

Can't beat $10. I have been pretty fortunate with my subwoofer dealings as well. I am more than satisfied with the Infinity 12" I picked up at goodwill for $30, it does a very serviceable job. I keep looking at stuff from HSU and SVS but the price is just too high right now. As it is my receivers auto eq wants to drop the sub to -12 or -15 db.
beatnix
64-bit

Post by beatnix »

I'm in the process of cleaning up my listening area. I don't have anything that special... Don't know much about specs... But I've got some old vintage equipment with clean needles and good enough sound. My real reason for jumping into this thread is the general lack of pictures. I keep popping in hoping to see set ups in action. Since I'm building my own space I'd love to see what other people do with theirs.

So... Come on folks. We are a community that likes to share! Where are the pictures?

If I ever finish my shelving unit, I'll definitely be adding one for everyone to see.