CRT is real life

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: CRT is real life

Post by bmoc »

chuckster wrote:To continue this thread, does anyone have solid recommendations on a 25"-27" shadow or slot mask CRT with component input? I have a few JVC and Sony PVMs, and I really prefer the look of the shadow-mask JVCs. I also have a big 35" Trinitron but it's aperture grill of course, and s-vid only.

I ask because my wife and I are putting together a retro room and I'd like something larger than my 20" PVMs (Melee or 4 player splitscreen can get a little cramped) but smaller than the behemoth trinitron, with component and a shadow-mask.

I assume the JVCs are good, and Panasonic. I've heard bad things about Samsung reliability and had a Sanyo 20" set that recently crapped out on me (I wish I knew how to fix it/ where to start). Toshiba gets good press too on most forums, but I was just wondering if anyone could give me some first hand experience, preferably from owning a PVM as well.

A Sony PVM-2950Q would probably fit the bill. Good luck finding one locally though. The model number implies that it is 29" but it is really only 27" viewable. It will do component or RGB. I may have one to sell in a few weeks but it needs some work. It has some color accuracy problems and I can't find anyone to work on it. It still looks great mind you, but I would have a hard time replacing it when it finally goes. As such, I am getting an OSSC soon and assuming it works well, I will make the switch to modern displays for my retro consoles. I'm in western North Carolina if you want me to hit you up when I am ready to sell.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

The pic is from another website I use to catalog my collection so why it shows the whole room. You can see I have a CRT setup for retro games.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

That is amazing.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Xeogred wrote:That is amazing.

Thank you!
marurun

Post by marurun »

Just to be kind to those of us who sometimes browse on mobile data plans, it might be a good idea to avoid regular use of 4 MB animated GIFs, or at least use the spoiler tags to let people decide when to view them.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

marurun wrote:Just to be kind to those of us who sometimes browse on mobile data plans, it might be a good idea to avoid regular use of 4 MB animated GIFs, or at least use the spoiler tags to let people decide when to view them.

To add to the 4mb animated GIF issue, even in a spoiler the image still loads slowing down the connection and hidden from view. Spoilers sometimes are not even viewed since it requires enabling Java, reloading the page and clicking the tag. I leave my PC Java disabled to greatly speed up page loads and eliminate animated ads; click Quick Java only if a spoiler tweaks my curiosity.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

marurun

Post by marurun »

You mean JavaScript, not Java, right?

Yes, JavaScript is used to hide and reveal the element that is "spoilered". So if you browse with NoScript or with JavaScript disabled, you will probably have a different experience.

I guess the lesson is to try to avoid posting 4 MB images :)
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

marurun wrote:You mean JavaScript, not Java, right?

Yes, JavaScript is used to hide and reveal the element that is "spoilered". So if you browse with NoScript or with JavaScript disabled, you will probably have a different experience.

I guess the lesson is to try to avoid posting 4 MB images :)

The pictures my cell phone takes are 4MB. That's what I'd then use to post pics here of my gameroom, etc. You're in a sub forum where images are expected. If you're on mobile data and worried about usage, I'd avoid this subforum altogether.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

chuckster wrote:To continue this thread, does anyone have solid recommendations on a 25"-27" shadow or slot mask CRT with component input? I have a few JVC and Sony PVMs, and I really prefer the look of the shadow-mask JVCs. I also have a big 35" Trinitron but it's aperture grill of course, and s-vid only.

I ask because my wife and I are putting together a retro room and I'd like something larger than my 20" PVMs (Melee or 4 player splitscreen can get a little cramped) but smaller than the behemoth trinitron, with component and a shadow-mask.

I assume the JVCs are good, and Panasonic. I've heard bad things about Samsung reliability and had a Sanyo 20" set that recently crapped out on me (I wish I knew how to fix it/ where to start). Toshiba gets good press too on most forums, but I was just wondering if anyone could give me some first hand experience, preferably from owning a PVM as well.

I have a 27" flatscreen CRT Samsung that's still kicking. And visually I've always liked it. I had an old Samsung 19" bubble screen that always worked well for me. I only got rid of it because I have too many CRTs, but it still worked fine. My parents had a 27" bubble screen Samsung in their living room until just a few years ago. They had it for quite a few years, and it still worked fine (they upgraded to an HDTV). So as far as reliability goes, I've never had a problem with Samsung.

I hear ya, once you go beyond 27" a CRT gets to be a real pain in the ass. My 27" Samsung is as light as a feather (for a CRT). My 27" Sony Wega is heavy, but I can still move it by myself. My 30-something" bubble screen Trinitron takes two people to move.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

That's my only gripe about my Trinitron. Maybe I should look for something a little smaller... but having component inputs is awfully nice, even if it doesn't really make a huge difference on a CRT.