CRT is real life

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

CRT is real life

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

So I've been unwilling to play older games lately because they are unbearably laggy on HDTVs. This week I got a CRT/VCR from work - the boss used it for the security cameras but he is upgrading to digital this year.

This thing has mono sound and the image isn't square when the resolution goes about 300 lines but STILL.

No delay - when you tell your ship to move you see it immediately. When attacked, you get almost twice the response time compared to the average LCD.

Bright colors. Easy to TATE. Convergence almost right. When a CRT flashes, its light fills the whole room. When a boss explodes, its ghost lingers on the screen.

If you're still playing 8-bit and 16-bit games on an LCD screen you're gimping yourself. It's not even a matter of visual quality. Playing shmups with 3 frames of delay on a badly upscaled image filled with dot crawl is like playing shmups with an Atari 5200 controller. Why would you even do it? Seriously I doubled my score in Eliminate Down. You probably don't TATE your LCD either. I mean, how could you?

A lame CRT is better than the best LCD. We all knew that...probably...but I wanted to make sure no one would miss it.

>
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: CRT is real life

Post by fastbilly1 »

Valkyrie-Favor wrote:You probably don't TATE your LCD either. I mean, how could you?

Though I know it was stated as a joke, they do make stands that rotate fairly effortlessly.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

yeah, I love my Dreamcast on CRT (via S-Video).

I was able to mostly fix the overscan, but it's still not perfect. Gonna keep my eyes peeled for a replacement at yard sales this year. I have a Trinitron in the basement, but it's slightly smaller than this one.

You probably don't TATE your LCD either. I mean, how could you?

Well I also play my DC on my LCD monitor via VGA. And I TATE'd it like this:

neorocker

Post by neorocker »

CRTs won't last forever! That and they're not exactly the most convenient screens insofar as room real estate goes. While I love the screens I have, I'm at the ready with an LED screen as well. I think you could stand to see how an SD signal looks scaled up to HD via something like an XRGB. :wink:
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

I have five CRTs. Two weigh around five hundred pounds it seems and the other three are 150lbs. or less.

Plus, ever try to play on a LCD outside? Garbage. A CRT on the other hand...

flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

there are so many CRT tv's out there its ludicrous.

You can to a fleamarket/thrift store and get a little tv for less than $20 and a real big one for less than $50.

Hell, you can get one for free if you look outside a dumpster!

I've heard stories about free working tvs outside in yards/alleys/streets. People dont know what to do with them anymore.

And for many all it takes is a $10 remote to make them work again.

There is a new generation of kids today that dont even know what a CRT tv is. All they've known is plasma/LCD tvs.

They will never know about VHF/UHF and turning the knob on the big old console TV to the U to get channels above 14.

I guess its just a generation thing.

Putting the big TV on channel 4 to play NES games. Getting the old VCR to play videogames composite since the old tube doesnt take it directly.

playing any light gun games!

There are still good TV's out there. Lots of them still have S-video and some have Component in the back.

You may not get a TV signal from them, but they're still damn good for games!
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
01toubib
32-bit

Post by 01toubib »

Just a heads up if your LCD is Laggy playing video games it's because its trying to enhance the picture which causes a lag. Most LCDs have in the menu a "Game mode" so when you play video games there is no lag.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

Took the plunge and chanced buying a S-Video cable for my DC off ebay finally, my CRT doesnt have VGA and not quite sure i want a VGA box or that new Tomee VGA cable yet, going to see how this S-Video cable works out first.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370575864998?ss ... 1439.l2649

Would prefer to play on my CRT over my LCD that does have VGA.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

Is it worth getting VGA for DC?

I just have mine hooked up through composite.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

01toubib wrote:Just a heads up if your LCD is Laggy playing video games it's because its trying to enhance the picture which causes a lag. Most LCDs have in the menu a "Game mode" so when you play video games there is no lag.

I use "Game Mode" all the time for everything if it's available.

@Noise
That monitor is pretty cool.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while