CRT is real life

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: CRT is real life

Post by Jagosaurus »

My Sony Bravia LCD crapped out after 8 years. They don't make em like they use to!

I have another 9 year old Vizio I know is on borrowed time.

+1 for CRTs there!

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Ziggy587 wrote:I have a 27" flatscreen CRT Samsung that's still kicking. And visually I've always liked it. I had an old Samsung 19" bubble screen that always worked well for me. I only got rid of it because I have too many CRTs, but it still worked fine. My parents had a 27" bubble screen Samsung in their living room until just a few years ago. They had it for quite a few years, and it still worked fine (they upgraded to an HDTV). So as far as reliability goes, I've never had a problem with Samsung.

I hear ya, once you go beyond 27" a CRT gets to be a real pain in the ass. My 27" Samsung is as light as a feather (for a CRT). My 27" Sony Wega is heavy, but I can still move it by myself. My 30-something" bubble screen Trinitron takes two people to move.
Sarge wrote:That's my only gripe about my Trinitron. Maybe I should look for something a little smaller... but having component inputs is awfully nice, even if it doesn't really make a huge difference on a CRT.

There are smaller CRTs that have component input, my Samsung TX-P2034 20" CRT has the component input. Even for an SD tube, the component "color stream" video separation do make a difference. Now if you have an HD CRT, a huge difference enabling progressive scan for game consoles that support such as the PS2 and newer consoles.

I do not mind the near 200lb 32" 4:3 HD CRT I have in the front room. The weight not a big deal; has not been moved for years since I performed the twenty dollar chip socket repair. I am so hooked on the outstanding quality of the HD CRT Wega, have a spare in the washroom as a backup. Also have a a few other CRTs of various sizes for backup for the bedroom and kitchen TVs; all flat tubes.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

Just drove 200 miles to pick up my first Wega, a KV-27fs320. It has been really well cared for, is super clean and very sharp. love it, and soon after I tested it at home I decided it was going to replace my PVM 1954Q in my main setup (I had originally bought it as a backup for an older, larger Trinitron in the bedroom). I had to rework my wiring and I ended up moving a lot of things around, but after a couple hours of work it began to come together so I kicked back for some VHS action!

I sit very close to my sets (as you can see), so I never really thought much about larger screens and in fact gravitated toward my 13" screens because they had better PQ. After some time with this screen (along with a nice Sony VCR the guy threw in), I'm starting to appreciate consumer sets a lot more. The difference coming from years of playing almost exclusively on PVMs (aside from a few sessions here and there on the 35" S-video Trinitron I mentioned), the difference is minimal unless viewed side by side, and at recommended viewing distance all but invisible.

Geometry isn't perfect, but it's darn close for a flat tube. Colors also had that trademark Sony wonkiness, but I adjusted that pretty quick. Overall it's a beautiful set and it has me looking for more late-model consumer sets. If I can get some pictures to turn out I'll try to do some screen captures and comparisons between this, my Sony 14-M2MDU and JVC TM-150CG I have set up right now.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Nice! That's an awesome setup you have there.
That screen at that size must be really clean and sharp. I've only used larger flat screen trinitrons.
The geometry on them always bugs me enough that I bring out a yard stick and mess with the geometry in the service menu while testing vertical and horizontal scrolling.
What hardware are you using to interface your consoles with the component input?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

Anapan wrote:Nice! That's an awesome setup you have there.
That screen at that size must be really clean and sharp. I've only used larger flat screen trinitrons.
The geometry on them always bugs me enough that I bring out a yard stick and mess with the geometry in the service menu while testing vertical and horizontal scrolling.
What hardware are you using to interface your consoles with the component input?

Thanks, it's still a work in progress. I've always heard 27" is the perfect balance between size, sharpness, and weight. All I know is screen looks really good and though it's plenty heavy (104lbs/~48Kg), at least I can move it by myself. I feel you on the flat screen geometry, the Sony has a bit of tilt issue and a little waviness in the top left that I corrected as much as I could. I've come to accept minor issues from all screens at this point though.

As for component, I decided a while back that I was sticking to component and S-video rather than SCART for all my consoles. If you look at the picture, the little blue display under the table is a Pelican System Selector Pro, a 6-input component switch.
I have everything running through there aside from the VCR and DVD player. The PS2 and (not pictured) Wii are component, and I use HD Retrovision cables for the Genesis. I'm waiting for a new batch so I can get them for Saturn and maybe SNES. Otherwise everything is S-video. right now and daisy chaining connects the screens.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

chuckster wrote: If you look at the picture, the little blue display under the table is a Pelican System Selector Pro, a 6-input component switch.

I have one of these. It's really nice. I dig it a lot.