Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
kelsoanim
32-bit

Re: Shelf / TV stand recommendations

by kelsoanim Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:56 pm

Hmm, no there were some stands that had 4x2 rectangular cubbies, or maybe it was 3x3. They looked more like a tall, standard TV stand with cubbies sized to hold DVD players and receivers.
A-B-P. A-always, B-be, P-platforming. Always be platforming! Always be platforming!!
My Game Room - My Game Collection
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:13 pm

Besta series? (like this). Standard A/V width is about 20" so the Expedit ones seem like they'd be a bit narrow (though likely fine for a lot of consoles).
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:32 pm

That Besta series I will vouch for. I think that's extremely close for what you're going for, too. If you stack two next to each other it gives the illusion of having the same thickness as that center support.
kelsoanim
32-bit

by kelsoanim Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:24 pm

Thanks for all your ideas. Yeah, I'm thinking Besta series might be the right way to go. Two of these might fit the bill.

Last thing I'm concerned about is one of them supporting my CRT, but maybe I could reinforce it somehow.
A-B-P. A-always, B-be, P-platforming. Always be platforming! Always be platforming!!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:15 pm

My 27" CRT really damaged a similar stand to what you're showing.

Back around '04/05 I upgraded to a larger CRT & also had to upgrade to a sturdy glass & metal stand (after my other stand was falling apart due to weight). Still have that TV & stand in my retro room. I'd hunt something like this. Most products today are made for light LCDs & will crumble under our beloved CRTs:D My rig:

kelsoanim
32-bit

by kelsoanim Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:44 pm

I picked up and assembled the Besta shelves and I've gotta say, they are just what I had in mind. They are *much* beefier than they look in the product photo. The thickest planks are I think 1.5+ inches thick and the others are at least 1 inch. The shelf didn't creak, flex or make a sound when I put the 100+ lb CRT on it. Definitely up for the job.

It turns out this is actually the same TV shelf that emwearz got from Ikea a while back. I noticed in this thread that he wasn't sure what model the shelf was because he got it from the damaged/opened item section, so I thought I'd mention that this is the same model and is actually quite good for use as a game console entertainment shelf. I just drilled holes in the back for each shelf for the cords using a hole drill bit and they were good to go.

I still have some work and tidying to do on my game room this week / weekend but I should be able to post some pics of it to show by next week.
Return to Game Rooms & Home Theater