TV Advice

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
oxymoron
Next-Gen

TV Advice

Post by oxymoron »

I'm looking to get a new TV for gaming and I'd thought I consult the pros at RB. What are some good TV's from 29" - 32". 720p is also exceptable. I thing I'm really looking for is a good amount of ports. A few composite, component, and HDMI are must. S-Video and VGA are optional. I had one In mind, the Hitachi L32A403. Is it any good? Thanks in advance.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Re: TV Advice

Post by TSTR »

I'll just leave this here: http://www.displaylag.com

EDIT - Also, what do you plan on running through this new TV (console wise)?
Last edited by TSTR on Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

I find s-video to be the most important port on a TV for retro gaming. S-video covers a significant range of consoles and unless you want to: have converters, system mods, or spend a lot of money on proprietary cables - it provides the best picture for:

SNES
GEN
JAGUAR
N64
SAT
DC
GCN

Component, HDMI, VGA are nice, for sure, particular for the last 2 generations, but I wouldn't overlook the s-video as optional - i'd seek it out.
oxymoron
Next-Gen

Post by oxymoron »

Ah, gotcha. I haven't really gotten into any besides N64, DC, NGC on that list so it wasn't too high up on the list. I will keep it in mind as I plan to get to those consoles in a bit. Thanks.

@TSTR

N64, PS1, PS2, PS3, occasionally PS4, DC, Wii/Gamecube, PSP.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

From my perspective, running any console that outputs 240p (N64/PS1 and previous) is gonna look and play like curry butthole on an HDTV without the aid of a scaler or some such device. Lag and scaling issues may be a concern to keep in mind with those.
oxymoron
Next-Gen

Post by oxymoron »

I know but I only have room for 1 TV and since I play more 5th gen and up consoles I can't justify buying a CRT.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Is there a HD Sony WEGA that has a VGA port?
Plasma TVs have better scaling than other types of displays (IMO) tho the image retention and unavoidable ABL on large ones can be annoying if you need the brightest whites. They're still better than LCDs.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

oxymoron wrote:I know but I only have room for 1 TV and since I play more 5th gen and up consoles I can't justify buying a CRT.
Anapan wrote:Is there a HD Sony WEGA that has a VGA port?
Plasma TVs have better scaling than other types of displays (IMO) tho the image retention and unavoidable ABL on large ones can be annoying if you need the brightest whites. They're still better than LCDs.

Definitely the HD WEGA. I also read good things about Plasmas though they too are not as common compared to LCDs and LEds. On the HD CRT, you'll find both SD and HD signals all display crisp. Also has tons of inputs including the nowadays rare SVideo connection. The only input I have not seen is VGA in a HD CRT, weird since there were VGA CRTS as computer monitors.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

TSTR wrote:I'll just leave this here: http://www.displaylag.com

Great informative, eye-opening site. Thanks for posting!
Weekend shmupper
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Nyukki wrote:
TSTR wrote:I'll just leave this here: http://www.displaylag.com

Great informative, eye-opening site. Thanks for posting!

No prob! Four Wude knows what he's doing with that Leo Bodnar lag tester and all, and he keeps everything super organized.

CRTGAMER wrote: The only input I have not seen is VGA in a HD CRT, weird since there were VGA CRTS as computer monitors.

I have seen HD CRT's with DVI inputs; could a VGA-DVI adapter be used in the case of like a DC VGA box, for example?