TV Advice

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: TV Advice

Post by samsonlonghair »

TSTR wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote: The only input I have not seen is VGA in a HD CRT, weird since there were VGA CRTS as computer monitors.

I have seen HD CRT's with DVI inputs; could a VGA-DVI adapter be used in the case of like a DC VGA box, for example?

DVI is an unusual connection. DVI can carry a digital signal, an analog signal, or both. When the question is about DVI, the answer is almost always, "it depends".

If the Television set is designed to accept an analog signal over DVI, then yes a VGA-DVI adapter can be used.
Wikipedia has more info on the subject.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

samsonlonghair wrote:
TSTR wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote: The only input I have not seen is VGA in a HD CRT, weird since there were VGA CRTS as computer monitors.
I have seen HD CRT's with DVI inputs; could a VGA-DVI adapter be used in the case of like a DC VGA box, for example?
DVI is an unusual connection. DVI can carry a digital signal, an analog signal, or both. When the question is about DVI, the answer is almost always, "it depends".

If the Television set is designed to accept an analog signal over DVI, then yes a VGA-DVI adapter can be used.

My Sony HD CRTs both have the DVI input. I have a direct wired HDMI adapter hooked up which indicates a digital video feed, but you have to use the RCA inputs for the audio portion. I doubt a VGA to DVI cord would work.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

DVI is weird. My 32" Samsung LCD has just about everything, minus S-Video of course. I'm keeping that one around for the future, but right now I'm just using my 40" and it's all mostly HDMI with some upscalers.

Are there affordable S-Video to HDMI converters or anything out there? I'm guessing not since that'd probably be more commonly brought up all over around here if it were...

I do have a Dell monitor that has S-Video though and tons of connections, I guess I could consider using that someday for a retro setup with a few things. Namely, for the longest time I've wanted access to S-Video for Saturn gaming.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Xeogred wrote:Are there affordable S-Video to HDMI converters or anything out there? I'm guessing not since that'd probably be more commonly brought up all over around here if it were...

X-RGB mini? Guess it depends on what affordable means :lol:

Mid/high end A/V receivers with S-Video in and HDMI out may be able to do it as well. Most current models don't have S-Video, and very early models with HDMI usually just did a pass-through for HDMI video while pulling the audio off to decode. The better models in-between that, however, could often take any input they accepted and output it over HDMI via an integrated scaler (the one I have does but likely doesn't fall under "affordable" either).

A dedicated scaler would have more options if that was the only purpose though.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Quick wiki search on Trinitron/WEGAs revealed no models were made with VGA.

My father-in-law's 16:9 HD WEGA has a DVI input. As others have said, DVI is tricky. Like component... can carry analog or digital.

Even more tricky IMO is the device outputting the VGA signal... you have 15 vs 31 Hz, 9pin vs 15pin... VGA signals were often catered to a specific type of monitor.