This is what a COMPLETE US Atari 7800 set looks like

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: This is what a COMPLETE US Atari 7800 set looks like

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

BoringSupreez wrote:It must be odd knowing you own every 7800 game. No matter how much you want to, you can never buy a new one you don't have.

He could go after the homebrews now.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Jagosaurus wrote:
Did you keep your boxes?

no. I upgraded some of my old carts (xevious, Dig Dug, etc.) to CIB copies. Original carts in this pic from my childhood are Choplifter, Mario Bros., and Pete Rose Baseball.

MrPopo wrote:So how many are worth playing? :P

When the system is considered on its own merits, I'd say a pretty healthy percentage are worth playing. That said, for games with multiple ports the 7800 is rarely the place to get the best experience.

Retrogamer0001 wrote:What would you say was the hardest game for you to track down? Which one do you enjoy playing the most?

The last two were Titlematch Pro Wrestling and Kung-Fu Master. Mean 18 is hard to find, especially sealed. The sealed Tank Command is the crown jewel (probably of my entire collection, for that matter).

I've not played everything. My favorite games are mostly arcade ports that appear on other systems (Commando, Joust, Xevious, Dig Dug, Mario Bros, etc.). As for originals, Midnight Mutants, Super Skateboardin', and Food Fight are some of my favorites.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

dsheinem wrote:The sealed Tank Command is the crown jewel (probably of my entire collection, for that matter).

I was going to mention that game. In light of its extreme rarity, the fact that you have a sealed copy is amazing.

(Also, congratulations on the complete set! I know it was a lot fo work tracking down some of those rarities!)
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Atari Age has Mean 18 and the lone Froggo game for the system, Tank Commander, as the highest rarity non-prototype/diagnostic cartridge values (7 on their scale)

MrPopo wrote:So how many are worth playing? :P

Owning a 7800 for... 25 years now (no joke!) I would suggest these games --

Asteroids
Centipede
Choplifter!
Commando
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Joust
Mario Bros.
Tower Toppler
Xenophobe
Xevious
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

So how many games are in a complete 7800 set?

I'd like to get your opinion on something else. I was talking about the 5200 with my friend, Kevin. He made the assertion that "Every good 5200 game is also on 7800". Having admittedly little knowledge of the 7800, I didn't know how to respond. What are your thoughts?
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

samsonlonghair wrote:So how many games are in a complete 7800 set?

I'd like to get your opinion on something else. I was talking about the 5200 with my friend, Kevin. He made the assertion that "Every good 5200 game is also on 7800". Having admittedly little knowledge of the 7800, I didn't know how to respond. What are your thoughts?

Around 60 (more likely 55-59) from what I've seen. I was so inspired by this I did a ton of research (not to mention playing) of 7800 games. It's unfortunate it didn't come out in '84 as originally announced - it would have done much better pre-NES. Some of the arcade ports are top notch, especially those that have 2 player simultaneous modes not found anywhere else (Asteroids & Centipede). The accessories that were going to be available looked really nice too. That high score cartridge would have been great for the arcade games.

That 5200/7800 argument can be true. Joust, for example is a great step up from the already decent 5200 port. Other games like Ballblazer, Centipede, Dig Dug, Ms. Pac Man, and Robotron 2084 were all good on the 5200 and are even better on the 7800. It's a shame that the 7800 got saddled with the 2600's sound chip. A couple of games used an optional POKEY sound chip, such as Ballblazer and Commando, that generated music and sound effects directly from the cartridge.

Fast fact: 7800 boxes and cartridges have purple lettering supposedly because the 2600 had used red and the 5200 used blue. This I got from a podcast interview I downloaded that had ex-GCC personnel (who were behind the 7800 design) years ago.

The 7800 holds a very special place in my heart, if only because I got in 1988 when all the cool kids were playing NES, I was playing Choplifter and Hat Trick and Tower Toppler :lol: It's a "what could have been" console for me.
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

Awesome! I love seeing these small library complete collections.

I really took to my 7800 after picking a boxed one up at a book store sale (found it tucked away with the board games iirc). I've found some carts in the wild, but will eventually need to order some of them. Seems like a good system to go for a complete set (kinda like that nice 32x collection you have). My copy of Dig Dug (one of my personal favorite games - used to play on my Grandpa's computer when I was little) sounds god-awful though.

DSH, have you tried the European model controller? I find the U.S. ones to work well-enough for some games, but strain the hell out of my hands for many others (Xevious) or just make the controls unbearable (Karateka).
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Did you set out to get sealed copies of the 7800 games or did you just happen upon them?

ExedExes wrote:Asteroids
Centipede
Choplifter!
Commando
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Joust
Mario Bros.
Tower Toppler
Xenophobe
Xevious

I like that you remembered the exclamation point. ;)
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

GSZX1337 wrote:Did you set out to get sealed copies of the 7800 games or did you just happen upon them?

ExedExes wrote:Asteroids
Centipede
Choplifter!
Commando
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Joust
Mario Bros.
Tower Toppler
Xenophobe
Xevious

I like that you remembered the exclamation point. ;)

That's how it is on the cartridge and the title screen; I take my 7800 stuff very seriously. 8)