fast's geekhouse in progress

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: fast's geekhouse in progress

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Man, yall are way more creative/patient/handy than I am...Makes me so jealous, lol.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

noiseredux wrote:raceway looks slick.

Thanks chief, I know you have been eyeballing them.

Word to the wise, if you get one, screw it in aswell as use the glue, atleast on any part that can fall a good distance. While installing it, I snagged something and one of the sides above the door just popped up. I am going to assume that the glue had not cured yet, but it was disconcerting enough for me to reinforce.

Just so you know, we watched House 4 and A*P*E on it later that night.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Man, yall are way more creative/patient/handy than I am...Makes me so jealous, lol.

I will give you the same advice my father gave me when I first tried making something:
"so what if you screw up?"
That is my fathers own paraphrase of the iconic "It is better to love and loss than never love at all" though dealing with woodworking. It is just like anything else. Take music for example, when you start playing the piano you dont start with Beethoven, you start with chords. In woodworking, you dont start with a making a dining table, you start with a candle holder or shelf. To be honest, if I had a better work life, I would not build things as often as I do. Workshop time is my detox.

If you ever want tool advice, there are several people here who know alot more about it than I do.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

fastbilly1 wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:Man, yall are way more creative/patient/handy than I am...Makes me so jealous, lol.

I will give you the same advice my father gave me when I first tried making something:
"so what if you screw up?"
That is my fathers own paraphrase of the iconic "It is better to love and loss than never love at all" though dealing with woodworking. It is just like anything else. Take music for example, when you start playing the piano you dont start with Beethoven, you start with chords. In woodworking, you dont start with a making a dining table, you start with a candle holder or shelf. To be honest, if I had a better work life, I would not build things as often as I do. Workshop time is my detox.

If you ever want tool advice, there are several people here who know alot more about it than I do.

I don't have the tools or the space to do any woodworking even if I had the motivation for the time commitment, unfortunately. I'll just content myself to stand in awe of your work. :)
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

On Saturday it got warm enough to throw a coat of stain on the PC case. Last night it stopped being tacky and I did an updated proof of concept photo:

I opted to change from the vintage speaker cloth to the metal design because in testing scraps I had on hand, the thickness of it would not let enough air through. I am planning on a black filter to slot in behind the metal, to hide everything completely. I still have not found a fan controller with a screen I like enough to slot in, so I am tempted to go screenless or just mount it inside on the utility shelf. I am also only going to host three computers now instead of four, so the shorter, utility shelf can store portable harddrives and optical drives. This means each gaming PC will have 10 inches of overhead and the fileserver will have just shy of 8 inches, which should be more than enough space to allow for proper airflow (the average midtower case is 8 inches wide).

So close...
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Doors:
A couple months ago I was hired to make some doors for a friend of mines wedding. She is having an outdoor wedding and wanted a way to be presented. So a pad of designs on paper later, we finally had it designed. I found some similar to her desired styled wooden screen doors that I had to repair, then adapt, then paint and fill. So here they are stabilized by my roof rack - they are standing on pipe clamps:
The stack of similar colored 4x4s behind them are the bulk of the frame. Since this photo, we have stapled cloth into the frame gaps. I did some testing with it and a single strobe directly behind her at ground level gives her pretty much the silhouette she wants. It will be gone this weekend, opening back up my schedule and build space to build my second arcade table.

Dry Bar:
But on to more fun projects. Last year we picked up a curious device out of a neighbors trash. After alot of investigation, we found out it was a dry bar for a resort. So I stripped it, disassembled, repainted it, and cable tied on some spare grates and we used it to finish out the summer. I finally got around to ripping boards to fit so now it matches the egg:

GONK:
My wife is getting upset about the mess of spare wires I have under my ottoman for my gaming pc, so she asked me to build a storage place. Well I cant just have a standard box can I? So here is our newest friend:

Body = 2x HDX (Home depot brand) 48qt clear containers
Feet = 2x 4x4s screwed together
Legs = 2x4s and left over dry vent
Panel = Old cooking tray, serial cable wire routes, ps2 ports, parts from a sewing machine, and a toy bubble half.

He is going to be a limited use storage container in a corner of the computer area. Mostly ethernet and video cables.

Stainedglass:
Also on the slow blow are those faux stainglass panels.
They have all been cut, just not designed. One will be hot air balloons and another will probably be a peacock. The original plan was to do a big design that went over all the panes, but the wife decide she might want to swap them out over time. These are made on plexi or acrylic with Plaid Gallery Glass.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

such a cool idea on the faux stained glass.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I like the one depicting the galleon(?) ship.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

noiseredux wrote:such a cool idea on the faux stained glass.

Appreciated. Anyone can do it, it just takes planning and the ability to source images. If you dont do it freehand, it is pretty much tracing then paint by number.

Exhuminator wrote:I like the one depicting the galleon(?) ship.

It is my favorite aswell. My wife does the "mermaiding" thing that is trendy now. She has a latex tail and about a dozen other types, that she uses when swimming in pools. So a mermaid had to be there. I figured since she got a mermaid, I got a ship. The humming birds were part of a larger design that that I paired off, which is why there is so much dead space on it.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

fastbilly1 wrote:My wife does the "mermaiding" thing | She has a latex tail | about a dozen types

PLAY KING'S FIELD.