fast's geekhouse in progress

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: fast's geekhouse in progress

Post by samsonlonghair »

Yo fast, I saw this gameroom on Imgur, and it made me think of you.
http://imgur.com/a/lv7uK

Kind of uncanny, don't you think? Dude has rackmounts, custom woodwork, arcade cabinets, and Tom Servo. Is this guy your evil twin?
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Now that is scary, definitely Evil twin territory. Then again, I like his style and his cab selection. Despite him being evil, we could probably get along.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

he walks like you, and talks like you, and even has an evil twin like you!
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

You are just mad because now I have a Homestar Runner puppet that sits next to Tom.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I was following along for a while then nixie tubes came up, and then I couldn't figure the picture here:
Ghostcontainment.jpg
Ghostcontainment.jpg (30.99 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Anapan wrote:I was following along for a while then nixie tubes came up, and then I couldn't figure the picture here:
Ghostcontainment.jpg

Looks like an Oscilloscope to me, dude.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

samsonlonghair wrote:
Anapan wrote:I was following along for a while then nixie tubes came up, and then I couldn't figure the picture here:
Ghostcontainment.jpg

Looks like an Oscilloscope to me, dude.

Thats the ghost in the machine...

In geekhouse related news: wife is in year end cleaning mode so we got rid of the table the tvs were sitting on and I was told to reorganize the gaming area. So the arcade table has coat one of paint on it, despite not having a CP. And now we are debating on building a stand so we can use the 37inch 4:3 plasma for DDR, and get rid of the other CRT.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Year end cleaning mode is serious business. No jokes.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Two quick updates.
The fence door to the backyard finally broke. Being 40inches wide and the frame was made out of 4x4s, it was hauled off. I opted to replace it with double doors, since they would be easier to open. But ofcourse, I bought wrong type of latch and realized after putting it up that the pole that the original door was on is now bent and I dont have the capability to replace the pole right now:
So if you look closely, they dont matchup perfectly. But its close enough and with the new drop bolt into the concrete I will be installing tonight, they will not open from the outside. Doors are made out of 2x4s instead of 4x4s. Also only a middle brace, not low and high (since the doors are shorter and weigh a quarter of what the old one did).

Next to the door is the other new addition:
This ladies and gentlemen is Glass Slag. It is a byproduct of colored glass production. Some people claim it is for crystal healing, but it is literally just colored glass in chunks. One of my grandmothers use to make glass for a hobby (long story) and she always had a stack of slag by her front door with a light in it. If you look this stuff up online, it gets expensive quick. So when I found a vendor that had it by the pound on the side of the road, I bought a lot. That big green piece is the size of my head and is about 30lbs. At night, it looks awesome, even with a crappy picture:

And now that the workshop is getting back into shape it is time to start more crazy projects. The main one this year is a new table for the grill area and a sitdown arcade cabinet.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

At our local festival, I found a guy with three Parklane styled 50s lawnchairs. I love 50s style, so after I gave him $100, I loaded them into the truck.
Also a broom made out of a tobacco stick and a 60s Tonka truck that is O gauge (aka close enough to wargaming scale/28mm)

About two hours with an angle grinder with a blade for removing rust and a power driver with a wire brush for the hard to reach areas, they got their first coat of primer:

It was all surface rust, except one of them had an actual hole about the size of my pinky tip. I bondod the hole and will sand it down and bondo again tonight. I did fire the rust fighting primer in the hole in every direction.

Then the test coat for each color:
I am not sold on the yellow, but the "seagreen" and "coral" are staying:

And that ladies and gentlemen is how you save something from the trash in an afternoon. Even though they will get three more coats of paint and a coat of sealant.