Tube TV Picture

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Snatch1414
Next-Gen

Tube TV Picture

Post by Snatch1414 »

So my aunt/uncle donated a tube TV for my basement and retro set up. To make a long story short it's really big. I don't know how big exactly but it's a JVC and it took two of us to carry it (it was a shade too awkward for my 6'5", 250 lb friend to carry himself).

Anyways the problem I'm having is the screen is actually a little too big. There is a border around the gameplay going on on screen. With a Genesis the border is slight, maybe 1/4" to 1/2" around, but still distracting and a little unsightly. I was playing the Master System and the border was more like 1" around.

I can't find any setting with using the remote to 'stretch' the screen or anything. Is there any kind of known fix for this? Thanks
Subscribe to the Snatch Gaming podcast on iTunes!
SnatchGaming.com
Twitter: @SnatchGames
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: Tube TV Picture

Post by Hobie-wan »

It depends on the model. Maybe there's a menu for it, maybe it is only adjustable inside with the cover off (dangerous voltages inside, don't just go poking without reading about it first). Each console will be aligned a little different so you're going to have to live with some being cut off a little or some having blank space.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

The genesis sends an odd video signal to begin with.

Is it a FD tru-flat screen (not bubbled)? This can also be caused by this on certain model. Border you're seeing was likely off screen on bubble, on screen on "flat"

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Snatch1414
Next-Gen

Post by Snatch1414 »

No this is your standard curved glass tube TV. Unfortunately I don't have a pic as I'm not at home.
Subscribe to the Snatch Gaming podcast on iTunes!
SnatchGaming.com
Twitter: @SnatchGames
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

Dont know how bad it is without a picture.

I think you just have to get used to it.

theres been other threads where TVs have overscan and blank areas.

Some tv's hide this better than others.

Atari and NES games did this alot with even old tvs. There were areas with different expanded colors, usually to the sides or bottom of the tv. It does not affect gameplay.

Post some pics if you can
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

flojocabron wrote:Post some pics if you can

Also a model number of the TV
Older CRTs have potentiometers on the back that can tweak the horizontal and vertical size. Newer CRTs have the adjustment built into the hidden service menu.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Ah, overscan and picture size/geometry problems are my least favorite things.

I'll just echo, post pics and the model number.

Do you have the remote that original came with the TV? You will probably need it if you need to access the secret menu.

Also, if you have the means, search your local thrift shops and Craigslist for a Sony Trinitron Wega. They're the king of CRT TVs. Not only do they have great pictures, but finding help online is a lot easier. If you cared enough to get a CRT for your retro setup, then why not get one that will make the experience even better?

Snatch1414 wrote:To make a long story short it's really big. I don't know how big exactly but it's a JVC and it took two of us to carry it (it was a shade too awkward for my 6'5", 250 lb friend to carry himself).

My aunt and uncle once gave me a TV, and it was a bad mistake...
It was a rear projection TV, so it had a 50 or 60 something inch screen. Big. Carrying it downstairs to the basement wasn't fun at all. I also had to rearrange my room a little to make it work. Then I realized it was not the TV I thought I was getting, it was another rear projection TV they had that I didn't know about. The picture was blurry as hell and you couldn't have any lights on unless you didn't mind an awful glare on the screen. So long story short, it had to go. Bringing it down the stairs was one thing, but getting it back up was something entirely different. It was not fun at all.