Genesis RGB SCART to Component

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
fredthezombie
24-bit

Genesis RGB SCART to Component

Post by fredthezombie »

Hello I want to get the best picture from my Genesis to my HD TV I could go HDMI but I don't know what is better for this situation. HDMI or component? Also I see tons of converters on ebay but I dont want to buy the wrong cords. Any suggestions for which Scart cable is meant for US model 1 Genesis? 32x would be helpful also, and which converter box is the best for a bargain? I dont want to spend too much on all of this but I understand it can be pricey. Thanks guys :)
theclaw
Next-Gen

Re: Genesis RGB SCART to Component

Post by theclaw »

Component is great for CRT SDTVs. But the simplest boxes don't upscale, be positive your HDTV model accepts 240p component. (PS1 games on a PS2 are one way to check)

32x uses the Genesis 2 cable. Yes both scart cables are required if you own it and the Power Base Converter.

Generally in the US, scart cables/devices are European pinout.
Except XRGB out of the box needs Japanese ones.

Don't concern yourself too much with composite video sync vs c-sync right now. That'll make things needlessly complicated at this point.

The below scart example is:
Genesis 1
c-sync
uses headphone jack audio
European pinout
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161575853221
Lum fan.
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

fredthezombie wrote:Hello I want to get the best picture from my Genesis to my HD TV I could go HDMI but I don't know what is better for this situation. HDMI or component? Also I see tons of converters on ebay but I dont want to buy the wrong cords. Any suggestions for which Scart cable is meant for US model 1 Genesis? 32x would be helpful also, and which converter box is the best for a bargain? I dont want to spend too much on all of this but I understand it can be pricey. Thanks guys :)

Not sure when these will be out for purchase,

http://www.hdretrovision.com/genesis/

You won't then be needing any SCART leads or separate converter boxes.

I'm sure others will soon chime in with what's currently the best for your budget and needs.
(Edit: I see there's a reply above my post already)

Hopefully your setup turns out a little less cluttered than what I have when going SCART to Component wrt my retro systems, :P

"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
fredthezombie
24-bit

Post by fredthezombie »

theclaw wrote:Component is great for CRT SDTVs. But the simplest boxes don't upscale, be positive your HDTV model accepts 240p component. (PS1 games on a PS2 are one way to check)

32x uses the Genesis 2 cable. Yes both scart cables are required if you own it and the Power Base Converter.

Generally in the US, scart cables/devices are European pinout.
Except XRGB out of the box needs Japanese ones.

Don't concern yourself too much with composite video sync vs c-sync right now. That'll make things needlessly complicated at this point.

The below scart example is:
Genesis 1
c-sync
uses headphone jack audio
European pinout
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161575853221
fredthezombie
24-bit

Post by fredthezombie »

Thierry Henry wrote:
fredthezombie wrote:Hello I want to get the best picture from my Genesis to my HD TV I could go HDMI but I don't know what is better for this situation. HDMI or component? Also I see tons of converters on ebay but I dont want to buy the wrong cords. Any suggestions for which Scart cable is meant for US model 1 Genesis? 32x would be helpful also, and which converter box is the best for a bargain? I dont want to spend too much on all of this but I understand it can be pricey. Thanks guys :)

I'm sure others will soon chime in with what's currently the best for your budget and needs.

Hopefully your setup turns out a little less cluttered than what I have when going SCART to Component wrt my retro systems, :P

fredthezombie
24-bit

Post by fredthezombie »

Thierry Henry wrote:

I have seen that cable, very excited for it. I heard they will be out around June. I am very impatient though ha. I am very jealous of your PC Engine setup, been wanting one for quite sometime.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

fredthezombie wrote:I want to get the best picture from my Genesis to my HDTV [...] I don't want to spend too much on all of this

That's oil and water right there. Do you want the best picture, or do you not want to spend a lot of money? You have to pick one, you can't do both.

If you truly want the best picture quality, save your money for an XRGB Framemeister. Let me tell you, I didn't wanna spend that much money on one. So over the years I bought all these different cables, adapters, converters, scalers, etc, only to never be satisfied with any of them. In total, I spend almost as much as the XRGB costs! I finally got an XRGB, and after using it, I wish some one told me exactly this. I wish I saved my money and got one from the start instead of buying all that other shit.

If you don't actually need the BEST, but you just need something that allows you to use your HDTV and not look like total shit, then there's plenty of things in the $50 range. I was using this for a while, and it really wasn't terrible. There's also SCART-to-HDMI versions of that same chipset. I was using it with S-Video from my SNES and N64 and it wasn't bad. Not amazing, but not bad. It got the job done.

If you decide to do something with component, like Claw said, be sure that your HDTV can accept 240 over component. Easiest way to do this, if you have the stuff, is to play a PS1 game on a PS2 over component.