Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
User avatar
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 18594
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Michi's Game Collection - *UPDATE: 7/11/2013*

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:46 pm

Aren't Sailor Moon DVDs pretty rare? I've never been able to find any.
User avatar
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 21718
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:28 pm
Location: Under a pile of retro stuff in H-town

Re: Michi's Game Collection - *UPDATE: 7/11/2013*

by Hobie-wan Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:28 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Aren't Sailor Moon DVDs pretty rare? I've never been able to find any.


The US company that was releasing them here lost the license a long time ago as I recall.
User avatar
Michi
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4382
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:47 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Michi's Game Collection - *UPDATE: 7/11/2013*

by Michi Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:05 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Aren't Sailor Moon DVDs pretty rare? I've never been able to find any.


The US company that was releasing them here lost the license a long time ago as I recall.

Essentially, yes.

The first two seasons were released by ADV: First with dub only DVDs, then as the sub only boxed sets. The second two seasons, as well as the movies, were released by Pioneer/Geneon as stand alone sub and dub DVDs (as was the practice back then) and then later as boxed sets. Both companies also released VHS tapes.

I cannot speak for the ADV releases, but I know all of the Pioneer/Geneon DVD's received a "Signature Series" re-release. The problem of finding them arises because not only are ADV and Geneon now officially 'defunct', but from what I understand Toei hasn't been offering the license for a few years now. And even if the two companies were still around Toei may have just let the license expire anyway.

So I wouldn't say they're "rare", at least as far as the Pioneer/Geneon releases go. I suspect people are just holding onto their copies.

Of course, with the re-boot in the works I suspect Toei will be willing to talk about licensing again soon. I know Funimation had a poll up a couple years ago that mentioned a re-dub of Sailor Moon, so who knows.
User avatar
GirlGamer55
64-bit
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 11:50 pm
Location: Hyrule

Re: Michi's Game Collection - *UPDATE: 7/11/2013*

by GirlGamer55 Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:21 am

I hope that because of the reboot prices will drop for Sailor Moon stuff (fat chance I know because that just makes people want the original stuff so much more). Or at least collectors will be more willing to part with their collections now that they know it's coming back and they might get more money for it?

In the end i'm going to end up buying the show off of ebay...like everything else lol.
User avatar
pierrot
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3406
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:54 am
Location: Banned

Re: Michi's Game Collection - *UPDATE: 7/11/2013*

by pierrot Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:09 am

Michi wrote:I've got Paprika on a UMD. I really need to get around to finishing it. Every time I start it I get interrupted and have to turn the PSP off and don't get back to it. I must fix that.


Eeeeee--. I shouldn't knock it before trying it, but watching movies on the PSP seems like it would be lacking. Regardless, it deserves watching, yeah. I think it's hard to jump into the middle of Paprika, but I don't really like watching movies in segments to begin with. It's hard for me to pick a favorite between Paprika and Millennium Actress, but I think I might like the latter a little bit more. Paprika is still a good, trippy, mind-bender, though.

One of these days I'll finally get around to watching Perfect Blue. I seem to have this mental block with it, because I perceive it to be Kon's 'popular' work. Also, a friend of mine in middle school mentioned a rape scene in that one, and--well--maybe it's handled well--.
Image
User avatar
GirlGamer55
64-bit
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 11:50 pm
Location: Hyrule

Re: Michi's Game Collection - *UPDATE: 7/11/2013*

by GirlGamer55 Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:30 am

pierrot wrote:
Michi wrote:I've got Paprika on a UMD. I really need to get around to finishing it. Every time I start it I get interrupted and have to turn the PSP off and don't get back to it. I must fix that.


Eeeeee--. I shouldn't knock it before trying it, but watching movies on the PSP seems like it would be lacking. Regardless, it deserves watching, yeah. I think it's hard to jump into the middle of Paprika, but I don't really like watching movies in segments to begin with. It's hard for me to pick a favorite between Paprika and Millennium Actress, but I think I might like the latter a little bit more. Paprika is still a good, trippy, mind-bender, though.

One of these days I'll finally get around to watching Perfect Blue. I seem to have this mental block with it, because I perceive it to be Kon's 'popular' work. Also, a friend of mine in middle school mentioned a rape scene in that one, and--well--maybe it's handled well--.


Actually your right about the PSP movies. I own a select few because they are my favs and when i'm on the go they are easier to pack then dvd's and my laptop.

They are fine for an on the go thing but they just don't pack a punch...maybe its the tiny screen or the meh sound...but I would pick dvd's over UMD movies any day.
User avatar
Michi
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4382
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:47 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Michi's Game Collection - *UPDATE: 7/11/2013*

by Michi Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:04 pm

Update

Added new photos to the Xbox, Wii, PS3 and Gamecube sections.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Hazerd
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3377
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Michi's Game Collection - *UPDATE: 8/24/2013*

by Hazerd Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:23 pm

Once again, very nice collection!
Image
Image
User avatar
Michi
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4382
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:47 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Michi's Game Collection - *UPDATE: 7/11/2013*

by Michi Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:04 pm

pierrot wrote:
Michi wrote:I've got Paprika on a UMD. I really need to get around to finishing it. Every time I start it I get interrupted and have to turn the PSP off and don't get back to it. I must fix that.


Eeeeee--. I shouldn't knock it before trying it, but watching movies on the PSP seems like it would be lacking.

I only have a handful of UMDs for traveling purposes (Part of the reason why I keep getting interrupted while watching it). Obviously it's not the ideal situation to watch movies in because of the smaller size, but the picture's crisp and the PSP outputs some pretty decent sound through the headphones.

Hazerd wrote:Once again, very nice collection!

Thanks! :)
User avatar
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 18594
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Michi's Game Collection - *UPDATE: 8/24/2013*

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:10 pm

I need to know how and why you have a CD-I.
Return to Game Rooms & Home Theater

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests