Michi's Game Collection - *UPDATE: 10/9/2016*

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Michi
Next-Gen

Re: Michi's Game Collection - *UPDATE: 8/24/2013*

Post by Michi »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I need to know how and why you have a CD-I.

Um, okay...

How:
I was walking around a thrift store one day and as I was making my way towards the electronic section I saw a plastic crate scotch-taped to a large, black box. And lo, twas the CD-I with an assortment of controllers and "games." It was a little dirty, but it worked and it came with Voyeur, so I asked how much it was.

Why:
It was $30 for the lot and I have a bizarre fascination with outdated technology. You should have seen my moms face when I came home with the Laserdisc player and the 50's slide projector.

Plus, I thought it was an interesting part of gaming/multimedia history. A failed one, maybe, but an interesting one non-the-less.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

That's cool. I have a 3DO, but without the Jaguar and CD-I I feel like I haven't truly experienced "generation 4.5" yet.

btw - any tips on how you got such crisp, clear photos? I'm trying to take similar pics of my game collection but it's not going so great - especially when I try to get close pics of Game Boy carts and other tiny objects.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:btw - any tips on how you got such crisp, clear photos? I'm trying to take similar pics of my game collection but it's not going so great - especially when I try to get close pics of Game Boy carts and other tiny objects.

What kind of camera are you using?

I use a Cannon Rebel XT on the Deep AV setting. It lets in more light and doesn't need a flash so I don't end up with 'ghost carts.' I tried using my Sony Cybershot before, but those didn't turn out so hot. That camera takes great pictures outside, but inside...not so much.

For the most part, though, lighting is the key. If you can take them outside (which would be ideal, but probably a huge pain) or under a nice, bright, open window you might have better luck. But really, any bright light source will help. For instance, almost all of my pictures are taken directly below a lamp. Without enough light any photos taken with a camera with an auto-focus setting has a tendency to come out blurry (not enough light means the shutter has to stay open longer and shaky hands mean blurry photos) unless you have a tripod or you're really lucky.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

My wife just got a Nikon Coolpix.

I want to take cart pics as you've done - my game room is a tiny bedroom so most of my stuff is stored in the closet so the traditional "game room" pics don't really work.

But yeah - thanks for the tips!
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

Your pictures are missing, use Imgur instead of Photobucket, a picture on Imgur only needs 1 view every 6 months to stay up.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Hazerd wrote:Your pictures are missing....

Yes, I know. I got an email telling me I'd gone over the free bandwidth limit. I'm going to try to transfer some photos over to different hosts to help lighten the load so maybe the pictures won't disappear every other month. It's that, or I have to re-re-size the photos and I don't want to do that again. Any smaller and the quality will start do really degrade...plus it was a huge pain :?

I've already switched over a couple of the smaller sections to Imgur (some were already under Imageshack). Everything under Computer games and under should be visible now. I also updated the computer section with a couple things while I was at it.

I'll work on the other sections soon.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

I've moved a couple more sections to other image hosts. Most everything under Sega should be visible except the Master System section and a few manual photos. The DS/3DS, N64, NES and SNES photos should also be visible.

And here's a small update to the Sega CD section:

Having to re-link has reminded me that I need to update a few systems with new pictures.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I want to take cart pics as you've done - my game room is a tiny bedroom so most of my stuff is stored in the closet so the traditional "game room" pics don't really work.

But yeah - thanks for the tips!

Yeah, I know what you mean. My room's dark too. When taking those few shelf pictures I have up I had about 3 different lights and a flashlight aimed at them and I still had to use a tripod because it was too dark. That's why I have to take the pictures directly under the lamp light.

But the window idea should work. You may have to experiment a bit with angle and distance, but the natural sunlight will probably be your best bet.
Michi
Next-Gen

Re: Michi's Game Collection - *UPDATE: 11/18/2013*

Post by Michi »

Semi-large update:

You know what happens when you store SNES games in shoe-boxes in the closet? You forget the hell they're there and have to update the SNES section. (I knew I had Space Invaders around here somewhere.)

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Nice. Dragon Warrior III (GBC) is such a sweet game. Be sure to spend some time with that one.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Update time for Gamecube, Wii, WiiU and PS3.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Nice. Dragon Warrior III (GBC) is such a sweet game. Be sure to spend some time with that one.

I'm sorry. I don't know how I missed this.

You needn't worry though, as I've heard nothing but good things about this game. I found the guide for it long before I found the game and many hours were spent flipping through that book in eager anticipation :)