Michi's Game Collection - *UPDATE: 10/9/2016*

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Michi's Game Collection - *UPDATE: 7/11/2013*

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Aren't Sailor Moon DVDs pretty rare? I've never been able to find any.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Aren't Sailor Moon DVDs pretty rare? I've never been able to find any.

The US company that was releasing them here lost the license a long time ago as I recall.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Hobie-wan wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Aren't Sailor Moon DVDs pretty rare? I've never been able to find any.

The US company that was releasing them here lost the license a long time ago as I recall.

Essentially, yes.

The first two seasons were released by ADV: First with dub only DVDs, then as the sub only boxed sets. The second two seasons, as well as the movies, were released by Pioneer/Geneon as stand alone sub and dub DVDs (as was the practice back then) and then later as boxed sets. Both companies also released VHS tapes.

I cannot speak for the ADV releases, but I know all of the Pioneer/Geneon DVD's received a "Signature Series" re-release. The problem of finding them arises because not only are ADV and Geneon now officially 'defunct', but from what I understand Toei hasn't been offering the license for a few years now. And even if the two companies were still around Toei may have just let the license expire anyway.

So I wouldn't say they're "rare", at least as far as the Pioneer/Geneon releases go. I suspect people are just holding onto their copies.

Of course, with the re-boot in the works I suspect Toei will be willing to talk about licensing again soon. I know Funimation had a poll up a couple years ago that mentioned a re-dub of Sailor Moon, so who knows.
GirlGamer55
64-bit

Post by GirlGamer55 »

I hope that because of the reboot prices will drop for Sailor Moon stuff (fat chance I know because that just makes people want the original stuff so much more). Or at least collectors will be more willing to part with their collections now that they know it's coming back and they might get more money for it?

In the end i'm going to end up buying the show off of ebay...like everything else lol.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Michi wrote:I've got Paprika on a UMD. I really need to get around to finishing it. Every time I start it I get interrupted and have to turn the PSP off and don't get back to it. I must fix that.

Eeeeee--. I shouldn't knock it before trying it, but watching movies on the PSP seems like it would be lacking. Regardless, it deserves watching, yeah. I think it's hard to jump into the middle of Paprika, but I don't really like watching movies in segments to begin with. It's hard for me to pick a favorite between Paprika and Millennium Actress, but I think I might like the latter a little bit more. Paprika is still a good, trippy, mind-bender, though.

One of these days I'll finally get around to watching Perfect Blue. I seem to have this mental block with it, because I perceive it to be Kon's 'popular' work. Also, a friend of mine in middle school mentioned a rape scene in that one, and--well--maybe it's handled well--.
GirlGamer55
64-bit

Post by GirlGamer55 »

pierrot wrote:
Michi wrote:I've got Paprika on a UMD. I really need to get around to finishing it. Every time I start it I get interrupted and have to turn the PSP off and don't get back to it. I must fix that.

Eeeeee--. I shouldn't knock it before trying it, but watching movies on the PSP seems like it would be lacking. Regardless, it deserves watching, yeah. I think it's hard to jump into the middle of Paprika, but I don't really like watching movies in segments to begin with. It's hard for me to pick a favorite between Paprika and Millennium Actress, but I think I might like the latter a little bit more. Paprika is still a good, trippy, mind-bender, though.

One of these days I'll finally get around to watching Perfect Blue. I seem to have this mental block with it, because I perceive it to be Kon's 'popular' work. Also, a friend of mine in middle school mentioned a rape scene in that one, and--well--maybe it's handled well--.

Actually your right about the PSP movies. I own a select few because they are my favs and when i'm on the go they are easier to pack then dvd's and my laptop.

They are fine for an on the go thing but they just don't pack a punch...maybe its the tiny screen or the meh sound...but I would pick dvd's over UMD movies any day.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Update

Added new photos to the Xbox, Wii, PS3 and Gamecube sections.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Re: Michi's Game Collection - *UPDATE: 8/24/2013*

Post by Hazerd »

Once again, very nice collection!
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

pierrot wrote:

Eeeeee--. I shouldn't knock it before trying it, but watching movies on the PSP seems like it would be lacking.

I only have a handful of UMDs for traveling purposes (Part of the reason why I keep getting interrupted while watching it). Obviously it's not the ideal situation to watch movies in because of the smaller size, but the picture's crisp and the PSP outputs some pretty decent sound through the headphones.

Hazerd wrote:Once again, very nice collection!

Thanks! :)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Michi's Game Collection - *UPDATE: 8/24/2013*

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I need to know how and why you have a CD-I.