mjmjr25's Custom Wood Arcade Cabinet - DONE! 6/17/12

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: mjmjr25's Custom Wood Arcade Cabinet - DONE! 6/17/12

Post by CRTGAMER »

mjmjr25 wrote:Thanks for all the nice comments guys.

On this project, i'm really really pleased. Particularly with the function - so stoked to be playing all these SFC/SNES shooties and beat 'em ups on legit arcade sticks.

Tonight i'll snap some pics of the back - honestly the coolest thing about this is the rotate feature, but also the way the monitor rests in the bezel, sorta cool.

I didn't know about that PCB until this Thread, amazed of how it automatically senses the different consoles. The quick Ethernet cable connect is slick, looking forward to the monitor rotate pics. I wonder if there is a way for the PCBs to sense the rotation of the screen and auto adjust the DPad configuration. Yet another mod tease, Mercury Switches, my head is getting dizzy thru your beautiful panel! :D
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

CRTGAMER wrote:
dsheinem wrote:WTF
Okay kill another thread with your flames. Contribute or just go away.

Sure, as soon as you stop ramrodding your own pet topics into other people's threads. I came to check out mjmjr25's sweet cabinet and see what people thought, not to get yet more spam links to one of your guides (and for something the OP already said they are not interested in).

mjmjr25 wrote:Thanks for all the nice comments guys.

The cab looks sweet, and I am very interested in seeing the back. I have been debating doing a tabletop cab with a TATE-able LCD screen later this summer in an all-stained finish (complete with wood colored ball top, buttons, etc.), so this is a very nice inspiration. I still have some material left over from my own MAME cabinet project last year, so this thread is a kick in the pants to get moving again.

Very nice work so far, and I am really looking forward to seeing it with all the finishing touches.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Man, I really wish I had the know-how to put something together like this. It looks so good man.

Not sure if you mentioned this or not, but what did this project run you? I know you had to buy some stuff like CPs and sticks.

Can't wait to see that guide, I may just attempt this myself!

Also, excellent color scheme on those CPs.

So cool!!!
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Total cost (leaving out the spare CP, because it is a luxury and not necessarily needed)

Prices include shipping on parts that were shipped in:
Aluminum Control Panel - 65
Overlay - 25
Bubble tops (2), Seimitsu Sticks (2), Buttons (14) - 80
McC PCB's (2) - 70
Misc. wiring / solder / bolts / some labor - 50
Controller wires w/CAT 6 connectors - 12ea so, 24 per system you want compatibility with - I have 14 cables currently.
R45 Jacks (2) - 12 each
Wood / Glue / wood stock - 24
Total for (1) 2p Control Panel = $380-400 range

This is the bulk of the cost by far, but conversely, buying a dual high quality arcade stick for every console I own would run about $2,400 - basing this off the cost of home-build, or the best market dual stick (HSS-0130, which runs $400).

Wood for the cab itself:
(1) sheet of birch and (1) sheet of maple 4'x8'x3/4" plywood
1"x4"x8' Mahogany
(4) 2"x4"x8' const. lumber
(2) 3/4" corner casing trim mahogany
(2) rolls of 8' maple veneer 3/4"
(2) 2"x2"x8' furring strips (pick out decent / straight ones) for the rails
Right around $100 in wood

$40 for polyurethane, stain, screws, glue

And the monitor I actually got at my church in exchange for a small donation to our sanctuary. Normally this monitor would run in the $250-300 range. I do plan on getting an actual arcade LCD monitor at some point, those run in the $450 range.

So had I not done the second control panel, it would be about $500, or maybe $800 if you needed a brand new monitor to use.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

mjmjr25 wrote:an actual arcade LCD monitor

Enlighten me. What is different about them, where does one get them, what size/price ranges do they come in, etc.?
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Mainly ability to sync with different boards (15/24/31 khz), provide proper color saturation and replicate scan lines. No delay while up (or down) converting signals.

Many models to choose from, some don't offer a full range of "proper" compatibility, some may require XXX>VGA (or other) converters, depending on what console your trying to hook up. Sadly (for my purposes), they are ideal for MAME, but console AND JAMMA boards are benefitted as well.

There are a couple guys w/access (ie, arcade wholesalers) on KLOV, but your best bet is to contact one of the main ebay stores, message them and go their website or a private paypal deal to save a few bucks.

Some links (when listing compatibility, they are referring to install of that actual cab, meaning some of these are LCD's designed to specs of actual cabs, can mount and replace your dead (and impossible to find) monitor :shock: :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360453849067?ss ... 1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360362467197?ss ... 1438.l2649

And this is the one i'm leaning to...and built mine with this one in mind, but obviously a bit of sticker shock:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/26-Arcade-Game- ... 4cf5bf077c
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

This thing is spectacular mj. Truly nice work.

I'm looking forward to the step by step, even though I'll probably be intimidated out of trying this. :lol:
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
DinnerX
Next-Gen

Post by DinnerX »

That sounds amazing. I had no idea such a thing existed.

If I understand the specs correctly, you'll be connecting old consoles to this monitor via RGB if you get it then?
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

^In most cases, that is the ideal, yes. A few of my consolized arcade systems and my supergun already have RGB, i'd need RGB mods in other cases where connectors / converters aren't available, etc.

Ok, now for TATE mode :mrgreen:

Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Post by Bradtemple87 »

Awesome work Mike, great craftsmanship! 8)
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739