Which style Arcade unit should I buy?

Stand up arcade unit
64%
Horizontal table unit
36%

Total votes : 11
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Which kind of Arcade unit should I build?

by lordofduct Sun May 14, 2006 5:47 pm

So I am buying a house. Originally I was going to turn this Den area in the back of the house into a game room, but a little problem arose. I inheritted a LARGE amount of antiques and have no where to put them... except this den.

So I changed it up. I am now going to convert the garage into a game room. I will be carpeting it, putting AC out there, building a bar and buying a kegerator, Billiards table and small air hockey table....

I was then discussing this last night with my girlfriend and her eyes went wide eye because I didn't say arcade machine. She asked if I would get a Pac Man machine or Tetris because she loves those two games (she isn't much of a gamer).

Due to the amount of money that these boxes usually go for I told her I would build a MAME box out there that looked like an arcade machine. The dilemna is what style arcade machine!?

She likes the little horizontal table ones that two people can sit across from eachother of. I don't like how uncomfortable the controls are on it though... something similar to this one in this pic.

I like the standup units. But she hates having to stand at it as that is uncomfortable and she has to stand at work all day long already. (I sit at my office job).

What do you think I should get?

My cousin who lives with me is a carpenter and can build just about anything... so the ability to build it isn't the problem.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
grittykitty
forever 16-bit

by grittykitty Mon May 15, 2006 11:00 am

i like horizontal tables... they're a rare breed and sitting down and playing games as opposed to standing makes it a winner. i once saw king of fighters 95 as a horizontal and it was pretty cool and easy to play
Ivo
Next-Gen

Looks bad for your neck (or back)

by Ivo Mon May 15, 2006 11:51 am

Sitting down for a while to play those horizontal ones looks to be worse for discomfort (I haven't tried, but I can't imagine how you'd not strain SOMETHING to look at an horizontal screen... Either you bend the back, the neck, or have to have your eyes looking really down at it).

I never liked arcade machines a lot myself, but in Portugal some of them have these sloping seats which make it a bit better to stand up. It's not a full horizontal chair, but a near 45º angle platform so you can distribute some weight off your legs and into your behind.

Or you can also have those tall chairs like they have at some bars...

I think one would be better off going for a stand up and trying to get proper chairs or other seats - that way you can play standing up if you want to, or bring the chairs in for longer sessions or for your girl.

Ivo.
oizukitom
8-bit

cab building

by oizukitom Mon May 15, 2006 6:52 pm

Hi,
The cocktail table image you have pictured is sweet. I see maybe $250 just in controls if you plan to make a 3 sided table. I am shopping for a nice spinner myself and those look like top switchable joys ( 3 x $25 ). IMHO you get more out of a stand-up cab. The only negative is size. How much do you want to spend ? and what kind of games do you like ? Fighters on a sidebyside cocktail table stink unless you make the table long enough. HeadtoHead 'Mr. Do' would be fun and Tempest h2h with 2 spinners now that's cool. All depends on the games you play. If this is your first dive into cab building, I would get a stand-up cab and go to work. I currently use a Midway Sports Station with a 25" TV. The stand-up is more flexible. That cocktail is sweet and for goodness sake please don't mame a Ms. Pacman - that machine is cherry. :D
Tom
Long Live The DC...
Majors
128-bit

by Majors Tue May 16, 2006 3:03 am

Cocktails all good, but uprights are *ARCADE*...so it's more of a g'f vs. ...(you could get a stool?)

If you go cocktail, why not supergun? Get the S-Vid and roll. Much more area to custom the controller setup. You can go pads, sticks, multi-setup type of config. My 2-bits...
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Tue May 16, 2006 7:26 am

Money isn't really a problem (I have about 300K to my name at the moment and a very good paying job).

oizukitom makes a good point about the kind of games that would be on it. For myself it'll be sh'mups... for my girlfriend it'll be mostly old school crap like Qbert, Tetris, Pac-Man... I bet my friends will want mostly fighters though.

oizukitom
8-bit

by oizukitom Tue May 16, 2006 9:56 pm

Yes !!! now we can talk lordofduct,
Shooters - sing to me. Here is a test, if you have mame turn your computer monitor on its side and set mame to rotate the screen. This makes a HUGE gigantic improvement over playing vertical games on a horizontal monitor. I still say a stand up cab is more flexible but old-school vertical games look great when the monitor is vertical and a cocktail gives you that bonus.

If you have the coin shoot for both :D you can't go wrong with a stand up horizontal mount cab and a vertical mount cocktail table. That would be very manly lordofduct, very manly.

You can do fighters in the 3-sided cocktail table no big deal - the controls are tight (as in close together.)

Important Side Note - I don't know how to make a consoles rotate to vertical video output ??? so don't plan on any of the cool shooters on consoles working in your vertical cocktail. Any help on that one ?

Tom
Long Live The DC...
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Wed May 17, 2006 10:53 am

First off.. you hit the nail on the head. It will be a MAME box.

As for your question about the console issue. Some games on the DC I know will swap the angle for you (i.e. Ikaruga). As for ones that don't have it... Not very possible unless done in software (unlikely for consoles as you'd have to hack the code of the game... each game individually!). As your consoles put everything together and depend on your televisions restrictions... problems arise.

A TV puts out horizontal lines that scan vertically. The information for those lines is held in the color (RGB) part of the composite signal. The order and space between lines is determined by the vertical sync. On top of that it is drawn interlaced (skipping every other line per full sweep across the screen vertically and drawing the other half of the lines in the second sweep vertically). You'd now have the problem of having to segment the lines and reordering them together vertically... then swap those new vertical lines to what is now horizontal (as you rotated the screen) and THEN who knows if the vertical sync will work with these new segmented lines(which will technically be horizontal by viewing perspective... but the monitor will still consider it vertical). IF you got it, the picture would be wavey and ugly looking.

SO! Technically... impossible. (though there are LCD screens that I've seen that do something like this... but this is because of how it uses a digital matrix instead of analog signals to draw the screen. It can be implemented through a simple chip programmed properly... EXPENSIVE and requires a Computer Hardware Engineering background).

Other best bet would be to just feed the console into the MAME box through a capture card and then just force the computer into an awkward resolution and viewing angle. BOOM! fast acting tinachtin!

racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Fri May 19, 2006 9:52 pm

You see stand-up cabinets everywhere, so I may go with the table.
Its has some character and would be easier to transport when needed.

Have you seen this puppy?
http://www.racketboy.com/roomplay/2006/ ... table.html
Looks sweet
Conn
24-bit

by Conn Sat May 20, 2006 2:59 am

Personally, I think Standup units are nicer.. and don't hurt your neck as much.

You could always get chairs for it, anyway.
Return to Game Rooms & Home Theater