Blu's Gaming Corner! Updated 8/13/2014

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Blu
Next-Gen

Blu's Gaming Corner! Updated 8/13/2014

Post by Blu »

Hello Respected Members of the Racketboy Community! This is an old post. My room is all currently in boxes as we'll be moving in December. Update to come in the near future possibly!

We moved in July/August of 2013. That meant a new gaming area! I've finally gotten around to taking some new photographs of our hobby room, which includes my little gaming corner.

Some things to mention outright: My cabinet was crafted by my dad, I love it! The marquee done by my sister-in-law. I built my game shelf out of two oak and maple shipping pallets. It's sturdy; if the photos make it look unstable it's because of the photo angle. It was one of my first carpentry / upcycling projects and I'm satisfied with its outcome.

You can view the album at: http://imgur.com/a/eLjqZ
I did this as to not stretch out the thread with images, and give you the ability to zoom in. I like that about imgur.

Cheers!
Last edited by Blu on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:18 am, edited 12 times in total.
cookie monster
Next-Gen

Re: Suggestions for Storage

Post by cookie monster »

It all depends on if you want to display it or not , book cases work great or if you want a cleaner hidden way a Large dresser or china hutch. you can find lots of things at yard sales,auctions or craigs list. I got alot of game holders driving down the road and painted or stained them. When you move you can always pass them on to some one else or take them with you. to see what i do look for cookie and foxhound games thread
i have a few pictures.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

Thanks for the suggestion, cookie monster! :) I agree, a dresser or hutch of some sort is the route I'm thinking of. I'll have to check into some garage sales when we move, otherwise I'll pick up something cheap at Ikea or Walmart. Given that my girlfriend accepts my hobby, but that we like to have guests over, I'll probably go the route of getting something that hides it well!
cookie monster
Next-Gen

Post by cookie monster »

A storage chest at the foot of the bed also looks nice or you can use one as a coffe table.
Eskimo

Post by Eskimo »

Not sure about others, but I have never had much luck out of the Sterilite drawers, they warp and tend to be quite flimsy. Unfortunately, I'm working out of storage boxes right now, it works for what it is, but I don't recommend it. You may have the solution right infront of you and not realize it. If your father is a good woodworker get him a six pack or a box of golf balls (whatever his intrests are) and a pile of MDF. His skill level and your imagination are your only limits at that point.

Edit: I want to see pics of the cabinet he made.
harper
Next-Gen

Post by harper »

Eskimo wrote:Not sure about others, but I have never had much luck out of the Sterilite drawers, they warp and tend to be quite flimsy.

They're definitely not the best thing for games (except maybe a few) but they can work pretty well for controllers, as long as you don't have like a million of them. haha
cookie monster
Next-Gen

Post by cookie monster »

harper wrote:
Eskimo wrote:Not sure about others, but I have never had much luck out of the Sterilite drawers, they warp and tend to be quite flimsy.

They're definitely not the best thing for games (except maybe a few) but they can work pretty well for controllers, as long as you don't have like a million of them. haha

Yeah i only have a half millon controllers :lol: i keep wires in my plastic totes.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

I believe it was Ryan who suggested it in an earlier thread, and it's worked quite well for me: find a cassette tape drawer set at a thrift store, and put your Genesis and SMS carts in there. They look like this: Image
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

Personally, I'd build a display storage area.

My only issue is, frankly, UV damage. I can't, personally, guarantee my games stay out of the sun and it's very annoying to see some of the labels are slightly fading.

I've considered building a bookshelf-esque display but with UV filtered panels covering things up (like cabinet doors or something) ... though UV plexiglass is expensive ... curious if putting on some sort of coating (acrylic?) would work better on top of more common materials.

Doing an inbuilt display probably wouldn't make sense if you're going to move again, though.

But the most cost effective way to store the games is to get free boxes from the grocery store and put them in your closet. I mean, it's free.
cookie monster
Next-Gen

Post by cookie monster »

Cronozilla wrote:Personally, I'd build a display storage area.

My only issue is, frankly, UV damage. I can't, personally, guarantee my games stay out of the sun and it's very annoying to see some of the labels are slightly fading.

I've considered building a bookshelf-esque display but with UV filtered panels covering things up (like cabinet doors or something) ... though UV plexiglass is expensive ... curious if putting on some sort of coating (acrylic?) would work better on top of more common materials.

Doing an inbuilt display probably wouldn't make sense if you're going to move again, though.

But the most cost effective way to store the games is to get free boxes from the grocery store and put them in your closet. I mean, it's free.

Have you thought about a roll of window tint over regular plexiglass.