Do you store your game consoles when not in use?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Re: Do you store your game consoles when not in use?

Post by TEKTORO »

AznKhmerBoi wrote:I try to keep most of them hooked up, i would only store the console if it needs works (sega saturn needs modchip solder on) and my n64 ( the painted flower one).

Just curious does leaving the game cart push in damage the console? Im afraid to damage my snes so whenever im done playing i usually just give it a pop so its not making any contacts.

Leaving your cart popped up off the contacts is a good idea,advice through the forums have suggested to as it can warp,corrode,expande then it can damage or need replacement.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
J_Wil
32-bit

Post by J_Wil »

I generally keep the current gen stuff hooked up to the TV, depending on how much use I get out of it. I don't use the Wii so much so I box it up until I feel like playing it. Older stuff stays in the box on a shelf (if I have the original box) or other wise stacked on a shelf, sorted my manufacturer.

In the past I have tried to keep the number of systems hoked up to a minimum because, honestly it's not what I want the ladies to see when they step foot in my apartment. I'm coming up on 32 yrs old now and don't give a shit anymore. I am planning on getting a nicer set up to keep my systems readily available and closer to the TV because it really is a pain in the ass to unbox them every time I want to use them and being that I actually care about the condition of my system's boxes I would rather not risk the wear constant boxing and unboxing causes.
"Oh great, another box of useless sh*t."

Main Collection: http://connect.collectorz.com/users/ynjmwil/games?viewCollection=in-collection - Not looking to move anything on this list but would entertain offers.
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

did a search and i found this...

so how do you store your old consoles especially those without boxes?
do you wrap it plastic wrap (so you can still see/display the console) ?
do you wrap in bubble wrap (to protect from bumps) ?
store in a glass cabinet display?
how about the controllers, av cables and adapters?

of the course the most important i could think of is to ensure they are away from sunlight.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

I keep everything boxed up these days, except the PS3 and 4. Dorm rooms simply don't have enough space to keep things out that I'm not using.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I don't have the room to keep everything hooked up without it becoming a mess so I tend to have one or two consoles out at a time. When not in use they go on the shelf in the closet and look pretty with the rest of my collection.
hobbes_182
8-bit

Post by hobbes_182 »

CFFJR wrote:Nah, I don't store them.

I have everything hooked up all at once. It creates one hell of a pile of wires, but considering the number of systems its pretty well organized.

I get sudden urges to play certain games at random times, and I don't want to have to set up a system each time I have a whim.

Totally agree, it is nice to be able to be able to play with just a simple click of the power button.

It is a bit harder to keep clean though :D
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

yeah at first i have them in a display cabinet, since my entertainment center table could not accommodate all of them. i would bring them out during use and probably leave it out maybe a week or two before deciding to rotate which consoles to play. but as seeing some of them started to have problems (not dead yet, the cd based most especially) i started becoming cautious. and would bring them out lesser and lesser until i got things running via emulator on wii. now they really dont go out anymore. but i dont want them just gathering dust in the cabinet too. so i plan to clean the insides and then probably wrap em up. and will open them like only when i have new games to try. i sure wish we live in a world where "dust" does not exist!