Anybody Have A HDTV?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
racketboy
Site Admin

Anybody Have A HDTV?

Post by racketboy »

Just thought I'd ask if anybody has one.
I'm hoping to pick up my first in the coming months...
neohx_7
64-bit

Post by neohx_7 »

I have one. Maybe you should wait to see whats required to run Blu-Ray 1080p before you pick one up...
crisis
16-bit

Post by crisis »

I have a Panasonic CT-30WX54 30" Widescreen HDTV. This is somewhat of a hulking tube model (when you compare it against all the plasma and LCD units out there). It's still the brightest screen I've seen thus far. Check out the CNet review at http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_CT_30WX54_TV_30/4505-6481_7-30994993.html.

The TV supports 480i/p and 1080i. It does not support 720i/p. It has an HDMI input, two component inputs and four Composite/S-Video inputs. One of the Composite/S-Video inputs is on the front of the TV. There are also separate audio inputs and outputs if you're tying everything into a receiver. The television's sound is excellent for a standard-sized (14x10) room.

Over the past several months, I've spotted this television at a couple of retailers (Circuit City, Best Buy, H.H. Gregg) for $550-$650. That is an incredible deal unless you just have to have the svelte appeal of the thin displays.

The television matches my entertainment center furniture. I'm going to be taking some photos soon for the forums.
** some natures catch no plagues **

Recent music charts and such
Image Image
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I love CRTs, but I'm looking at the thin CRTs like Samsung's SlimFit models.
They are still a bit heavy, but the footprint is much smaller -- as little as 16 inches deep for a 30-inch widescren
P1TCH BLACK

Post by P1TCH BLACK »

i just bought a dell 37in. lcd. I'm still messing with my picture settings, but it seems to have problems with its black level. On the 360 it looks fine, put ps2 games don't look to good. I wonder if it'll make a difference with some component cables?
neohx_7
64-bit

Post by neohx_7 »

racketboy wrote:I love CRTs, but I'm looking at the thin CRTs like Samsung's SlimFit models.
They are still a bit heavy, but the footprint is much smaller -- as little as 16 inches deep for a 30-inch widescren

I have a Westinghouse LVM 37w1. Theres newer versions out, and you can find it for 1,000-1,500. Get the newer version for 1080p DVI and HDMI. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... tnG=Search
solidunit
8-bit

Post by solidunit »

I'm using a Dell 2407WFP LCD panel. Just got it last week, got the PS2 and 360 hooked up to it. Here's some pics I took of it running SC3 and GT4:

The 360 is hooked up on the VGA port and looks incredible.
neohx_7
64-bit

Post by neohx_7 »

Just so you know, HDTVs make 2D fighters look awful. An old skool tv with big 240i scanlines is the way to go for those games. I'm able to simulate them on my monitor through some trickery.

consoles -> Yamaha a/v reciever -> s-video input Mac G3 with ATI-XCLAIMVR (All-in-wonder) AND specially crafted pic with scanlines overlayed -> 800x600 VGA -> 37" 1080p monitor. It looks so much more "arcade perfect" than pure pixels that you get out of component or especially dreamcast vga. I will upload some pics.
durkada
64-bit

Post by durkada »

It's not an HDTV, per se... But it does do 720p, can take 1080i signals and looks amazing. We wanted the theater experience, without all the ghetto crap which goes with it -- commercials, overpriced snacks, crying babies and idiots talking over the dialog. So, a few fears ago I plunked down some change for a projector, now mounted to our ceiling and sending us an image 110" wide -- not horizontal. Its bright enough to work with ambiant light -- but even so, we have a theater room painted flat black with nice drapes over the windows. I Bought an Onkyo surround sound system which is amazingly awesome for the price -- particularly so, in that it plays music as well as the usual DTS/Dolby signals.

All my consoles are hooked up to it, including my Sega Saturn and an Atari 800 -- both of which look amazingly cool on the big screen. The Dreamcast, however, is draw-dropping gorgeous.
Wuyie

Post by Wuyie »

Im also looking into buying an HDTV...in fact I was going to get it this past week but i brought a new Mac instead...I'm looking at an LG plasma between 42-50''...If youre going to get an HDTV go all out and get something that will be outdated in 6-8 months as opposed to 3-4 months...Image