Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
indecks
Next-Gen

Re: dsheinem's "MAME Cabinet in a Month" project

by indecks Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:00 am

dsheinem wrote:
indecks wrote:Not sure if it was mentioned already, but Maximus Arcade is a decent Front End and it isn't all bloated like Hyperspin is.

What do you mean by "bloated"?

In what ways is it better?

Hyperspin is graphics INTENSIVE. Borders, sound effects, animated game art, animated menu switching, etc. It's got all the flash and glitz, but if you're running an older machine with something like a 3gHz CPU and a gig of RAM it will bog down when switching menus because of all of the crap happening on screen. Its just too much if you ask me.

Maximus Arcade is more basic, I guess. Still does everything that you'd need a front end to do, just not as... I dunno, annoying, lol.

There's an article on RB's site here: Racketboy Maximus Arcade

EDIT: Also, I just skimmed this thread, but has anyone here mentioned the Ultimarc J-PAC and the ArcadeVGA cards?

If you have an actual arcade cabinet, with a real arcade monitor, then that's the way to go. There's even a PCIe version of the ArcadeVGA card. Also, don't waste your money on an X-Arcade stick. The parts in those things are cheap and horrible.

The J-PAC will allow you to hook up your actual arcade sticks/buttons to a PC and you dont have to modify the cab. You can even take the PC out in seconds to slap an arcade PCB in there. I think someone posted a picture of an I-PAC, which is similar, but a J-PAC is less work - providing you have a running arcade cab.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:56 am

indecks wrote:
dsheinem wrote:
indecks wrote:Not sure if it was mentioned already, but Maximus Arcade is a decent Front End and it isn't all bloated like Hyperspin is.

What do you mean by "bloated"?

In what ways is it better?

Hyperspin is graphics INTENSIVE. Borders, sound effects, animated game art, animated menu switching, etc. It's got all the flash and glitz, but if you're running an older machine with something like a 3gHz CPU and a gig of RAM it will bog down when switching menus because of all of the crap happening on screen. Its just too much if you ask me.

Maximus Arcade is more basic, I guess. Still does everything that you'd need a front end to do, just not as... I dunno, annoying, lol.

There's an article on RB's site here: Racketboy Maximus Arcade

EDIT: Also, I just skimmed this thread, but has anyone here mentioned the Ultimarc J-PAC and the ArcadeVGA cards?

If you have an actual arcade cabinet, with a real arcade monitor, then that's the way to go. There's even a PCIe version of the ArcadeVGA card. Also, don't waste your money on an X-Arcade stick. The parts in those things are cheap and horrible.

The J-PAC will allow you to hook up your actual arcade sticks/buttons to a PC and you dont have to modify the cab. You can even take the PC out in seconds to slap an arcade PCB in there. I think someone posted a picture of an I-PAC, which is similar, but a J-PAC is less work - providing you have a running arcade cab.

Thanks for the great info and clarification, indecks. I do have just 1GB RAM, so maybe Maximus is worth looking into instead. Of course, it might be just as cost efficient to upgrade to 2 GB of RAM and not pay for the frontend...

-What's wrong with the X-arcade parts? Is there a better plug and play solution. I know that wiring up buttons is easy enough but I really just want to plug in a USB cable and go. It might be lazy, but frankly working with all the parts and wires. drilling holes properly, etc. - it is not worth the aggravation and second guessing it would inevitably cause me (even if it isn't aggrivating to someone else). I also like the idea of the trackball with the X-Arcade.

-I don't think I will have an arcade monitor/cab, so I am probably going to use a 27" CRT TV instead (running through a converter box). There is a place around here that repairs cabinets, though, so I may check with them first.

-PCI cards and the like are a no go with the nettop PC. I want to use the nettop because A) I am not using it for anything else and B) I can build a separate tabletop cabinet and easily swap it out from cabinet to cabinet.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:12 am

X-Arcade is fine for a plug-in-play solution I think, and iirc the Trackball on it is actually pretty decent.

You can always swap out the parts in the future. People do it all the time.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:08 pm

Day 4: Each day I have been doing a little research and a little creation. Today I priced some tools and materials and ordered the VGA>S-video adapter suggested above to try out with my 27" TV. I also decided where to put the cabinet when its done, though I will have to do some rearranging to make it work.

As for creating, I built some sawhorses. This is a project I have been meaning to do for at least a year as they can come in handy with a ton of things. I figure they will be useful with this project, too.

fvgazi
Next-Gen

by fvgazi Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:27 am

dsheinem wrote:Day 4: Each day I have been doing a little research and a little creation. Today I priced some tools and materials and ordered the VGA>S-video adapter suggested above to try out with my 27" TV. I also decided where to put the cabinet when its done, though I will have to do some rearranging to make it work.

As for creating, I built some sawhorses. This is a project I have been meaning to do for at least a year as they can come in handy with a ton of things. I figure they will be useful with this project, too.

You will be happy you made those saw horses. Greatest invention ever.
[ XBL: downedcity | PSN: biggry | Steam: Merchandise ]
Black Lodge Amplification: http://blacklodgeamps.tumblr.com/
indecks
Next-Gen

by indecks Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:45 pm

AppleQueso wrote:X-Arcade is fine for a plug-in-play solution I think, and iirc the Trackball on it is actually pretty decent.

You can always swap out the parts in the future. People do it all the time.

Yeah, AQ is right, for a PnP solution, the X-Arcade is pretty much a home run. I just dont like their parts, the sticks are stiff, and sometimes unresponsive, compared to a nice set of Happ sticks, and their buttons aren't as nice as a real arcade control panel.

I'm a bit of an Arcade fan so I always prefer the 'real' thing. AQ is also right in the switching suggestion. Swapping the sticks and buttons on the X-Arcades is pretty easily done, and painless.

But if you spend the money on the sticks/buttons, you could easily build yourself a little CP and probably save the money. I dunno, it's a bit of a tossup, really.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:19 pm

indecks wrote:
But if you spend the money on the sticks/buttons, you could easily build yourself a little CP and probably save the money. I dunno, it's a bit of a tossup, really.

Ok, well the next obvious questions is: How much would you charge me for a custom made CP? :mrgreen:
indecks
Next-Gen

by indecks Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:40 pm

dsheinem wrote:
indecks wrote:

Ok, well the next obvious questions is: How much would you charge me for a custom made CP? :mrgreen:

lol it may seem daunting but it's pretty simple! You can totally build one and make it look awesome. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to build very often anymore, much to the displeasure of my nephews. I promised them a bartop MAME cab last year and I haven't even started it, other than the PC (which I already had, lol).

You can check out BYOAC for ideas, or just google Arcade Control Panel Plans and it will come up with a wealth of info. As long as you have a saw, and the gumption, it's pretty easy to do. Also, for control panel parts (sticks and whatnot) you can't go wrong with LizardLick. Just pray you don't order from them (or anyone else) during a major fighting franchise release otherwise everyone and their mother is ordering parts from there and you can wait a while for your parts.

Sorry to turn down the offer, but thanks.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

by D.D.D. Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:29 am

dsheinem wrote:Image

:shock: Backyard???
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:44 am

indecks wrote:
dsheinem wrote:
indecks wrote:

lol it may seem daunting but it's pretty simple! You can totally build one and make it look awesome. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to build very often anymore, much to the displeasure of my nephews. I promised them a bartop MAME cab last year and I haven't even started it, other than the PC (which I already had, lol).

You can check out BYOAC for ideas, or just google Arcade Control Panel Plans and it will come up with a wealth of info. As long as you have a saw, and the gumption, it's pretty easy to do. Also, for control panel parts (sticks and whatnot) you can't go wrong with LizardLick. Just pray you don't order from them (or anyone else) during a major fighting franchise release otherwise everyone and their mother is ordering parts from there and you can wait a while for your parts.

Sorry to turn down the offer, but thanks.

I registered on BYOAC and am waiting for approval. I do have a few questions for them right off the bat, so hopefully they take as kindly to newcomers as we do :)

The X-Arcade site claims it uses arcade parts and materials...is this not true?

D.D.D. wrote: :shock: Backyard???

Not sure what you are asking....the grass in the background? That's part of a side yard on the NW corner of my property.
Return to Game Rooms & Home Theater