Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: dsheinem's "MAME Cabinet in a Month" project

by dsheinem Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:49 pm

probably...but I'm not sure if the $ is worth the increase in size. The 21" monitor may actually make it more compact/portable, too.
fedexin
32-bit

by fedexin Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:58 pm

Congrats on starting a MAME project! You can get it done in a month, easy.

I highly recommend using http://hyperspin-fe.com/ as your frontend. Super easy to tweak, and supports the X-Arcade Tankstick and others right out of the box. Remember, it's just a PC in an elaborate case! If you can build a birdhouse and a computer, you're set.
Consoles owned currently: Lynx model 1, Lynx model 2, TG-16, Turbo Express w/TV Tuner, PS3, PS2, XBox 360, Neo-Geo AES (UniBios), Neo-Geo AES (U), Virtual Boy, PSP, GBA, DS, DS Lite, N64, Saturn, Wii, Mini Neo-Geo MVS (MAME), Asteroids standup, Defender cocktail, Street Fighter II CE dedicated, Neo-Geo MVS 4-25, CPS2 USA system
fedexin
32-bit

by fedexin Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:59 pm

I built the prototype of this in 3 weeks, blinky lights an all:

http://www.mineoarcade.com
Consoles owned currently: Lynx model 1, Lynx model 2, TG-16, Turbo Express w/TV Tuner, PS3, PS2, XBox 360, Neo-Geo AES (UniBios), Neo-Geo AES (U), Virtual Boy, PSP, GBA, DS, DS Lite, N64, Saturn, Wii, Mini Neo-Geo MVS (MAME), Asteroids standup, Defender cocktail, Street Fighter II CE dedicated, Neo-Geo MVS 4-25, CPS2 USA system
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

by sevin0seven Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:14 pm

dsheinem wrote:
sevin0seven wrote:
dsheinem wrote:so that 27" monitor is actually 21". oops.

I could put a 27" CRT TV in it, but the TV only has composite and s-video. Not sure if/how I could connect that to the PC...

What would you do?

i would get a video card that support s-video.

There's no video card or any other card that can be added to the nettop pc.

hmmm, then your options are limited. the item that noise linked would work, but in my opinion it's better to work with a built slim/mini pc that can handle multiple outputs from the video card. that's how my mini talking classic cab is built.
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
fedexin
32-bit

by fedexin Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:23 pm

fvgazi wrote:.....Repurposed cab = $0-$300? assuming you would get a junky POS to gut.

Try not to use an existing arcade cab, but if you have to I wouldn't spend more than $50 on one. If you find one with a monitor mount/frame, you could strip a similar sized TV's guts out and place it in the arcade monitor's frame, creating a seamless look with a bezel.
avrame
128-bit

by avrame Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:42 pm

I would suggest something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Lake-Converter-co ... 796&sr=1-3

I have a silver one, and used it to play emulators off my netbook onto my 27" CRT tv, worked wonders. I can make a video if you wanna see how it performs.
If you aren't having a good time, why are you playing?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:50 am

Hmm, that $10 part + the adapter I already have looks to be just the ticket to go from DVI>VGA>S-Video. Very tempting idea - how necessary is it to actually take the old TV apart if I go this route?

Morning of Day 2 - I got MAME up and running last night with a few ROMs to try and my Mayflash arcade stick. Today I plan to start looking into a few different Frontends and to finish installing the needed drivers for the nettop.

fedexin
32-bit

by fedexin Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:45 am

Hyperspin front end (as well as others) allows you to set up button presses to exit/shut down the machine with ease. Also, you can download video previews to watch for almost every game made! Very handy when just surfing around the list wondering what the gameplay is like for a random title. The videos and other artwork are available at http://emumovies.com/forums/
fedexin
32-bit

by fedexin Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:50 am

One more thing! You can load other emulators with ease to play console games. I've placed a PC Xbox360 controller dongle in my personal mini neo geo and can play wirelessly away from the machine.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:53 am

I don't like Hyperspin
Return to Game Rooms & Home Theater