Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
User avatar
fvgazi
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:16 pm
Location: Long Island NY

Re: dsheinem's "MAME Cabinet in a Month" project

by fvgazi Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:04 pm

dsheinem wrote:
fvgazi wrote:I have one concern hooking up that CRT. What video connection are you planning on using?


The monitor is VGA connected to the HTPC with a VGA/DVI connector cable (HTPC only has DVI and HDMI out).

I am not sure where that leaves me with the other stuff you mentioned...

I do think I can build a cab myself for much less than it would take to buy one. I think my wife would even enjoy helping me with the woodworking. I am thinking $350 should be reasonable including the joystick. I also want to sell off some games to help finance it so that it basically costs zero...that will help convince the wife as well :)

Today I am playing around with the PC to get MAME up and running and reacquaint myself with the basics of the program.


Sorry, I was thinking CRT TV that would not have those inputs. I thought you might be dealing with Composite/S-Video/or Component. I was trying to figure out if there was a way you could use RGB or something, but that is more along the lines if you wanted to make it use actual arcade boards as well.

With just the PC, you wouldn't be running into video problems like that. Sorry for adding an extra problem into the mix. :lol:

Now I'm just curious about the audio. Do you plan to use computer speakers and how are you going to mount them?
[ XBL: downedcity | PSN: biggry | Steam: Merchandise ]
Black Lodge Amplification: http://blacklodgeamps.tumblr.com/
Image
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 23079
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: dsheinem's "MAME Cabinet in a Month" project

by dsheinem Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:28 pm

fvgazi wrote:Now I'm just curious about the audio. Do you plan to use computer speakers and how are you going to mount them?


Yeah, I have a spare set of PC speakers (with a subwoofer, too). I figure I can get some kind of mounting brackets to put inside - not sure where I'll put them just yet, though.
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38130
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: dsheinem's "MAME Cabinet in a Month" project

by noiseredux Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:32 pm

dsheinem wrote:
fvgazi wrote:Now I'm just curious about the audio. Do you plan to use computer speakers and how are you going to mount them?


Yeah, I have a spare set of PC speakers (with a subwoofer, too). I figure I can get some kind of mounting brackets to put inside - not sure where I'll put them just yet, though.


I'd think something like this:

Image

inside, and then maybe cut a hole in the cab and put some cloth/mesh/whatever to make it look nice?
Image
User avatar
sevin0seven
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8938
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 12:18 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: dsheinem's "MAME Cabinet in a Month" project

by sevin0seven Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:50 pm

hey Dave, these instruction manuals may help you:

http://www.mameroom.com/manuals/UAIIKit_Manual.pdf (Cab body)

http://www.mameroom.com/manuals/MonitorMount.pdf (Monitor)

good luck. :)
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38130
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: dsheinem's "MAME Cabinet in a Month" project

by noiseredux Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:53 pm

it might also help if you know what NOT to do:

Image
Image
User avatar
sevin0seven
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8938
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 12:18 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: dsheinem's "MAME Cabinet in a Month" project

by sevin0seven Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:55 pm

^ :lol:
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 23079
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: dsheinem's "MAME Cabinet in a Month" project

by dsheinem Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:00 pm

so that 27" monitor is actually 21". oops.

I could put a 27" CRT TV in it, but the TV only has composite and s-video. Not sure if/how I could connect that to the PC...

What would you do?
User avatar
sevin0seven
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8938
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 12:18 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: dsheinem's "MAME Cabinet in a Month" project

by sevin0seven Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:29 pm

dsheinem wrote:so that 27" monitor is actually 21". oops.

I could put a 27" CRT TV in it, but the TV only has composite and s-video. Not sure if/how I could connect that to the PC...

What would you do?


i would get a video card that support s-video.
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 23079
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: dsheinem's "MAME Cabinet in a Month" project

by dsheinem Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:37 pm

sevin0seven wrote:
dsheinem wrote:so that 27" monitor is actually 21". oops.

I could put a 27" CRT TV in it, but the TV only has composite and s-video. Not sure if/how I could connect that to the PC...

What would you do?


i would get a video card that support s-video.


There's no video card or any other card that can be added to the nettop pc.
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38130
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: dsheinem's "MAME Cabinet in a Month" project

by noiseredux Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:42 pm

Image
Return to Game Rooms & Home Theater

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests