Sony WEGA CRT - HD or SD preferable for classic gaming?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Para
128-bit

Re: Sony WEGA CRT - HD or SD preferable for classic gaming?

Post by Para »

Hobie-wan wrote:I don't have SMB3

:shock:
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

You honestly don't mave Super Mario Bros. 3 Hobie? It's arguably the best game ever made, and you can buy a cartridge for a buck.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

samsonlonghair wrote:You honestly don't mave Super Mario Bros. 3 Hobie? It's arguably the best game ever made, and you can buy a cartridge for a buck.

As I state from time to time in various threads, I don't care for platformers. No Mario or Sonic for me. I also don't like Deus Ex or care for the *Shock games either. Sacrilegious, I know. :lol: Just means more copies available for people who do like them. :)

{listens for the sound of Mr Popo coming to tell me I'm crazy}

We now return you to you regularly scheduled TV program
ATARI800XLfan
128-bit

Post by ATARI800XLfan »

I was wondering if the TV I recently got for free would be good for classic consoles like my Sega Saturn. I have recently recieved for free a 2006 Sony Trinitron, it is 42-44 inches diagonally across including the whole front not just the screen, so I would say 36-40 inches diagonally total for the screen. 35 inches wide. not to sure what resolution it is probably 480i or p seeing as if I remember correctly it has the red, blue, and green video hookups and two sets of red, white, and yellow plus s-video. What tv's do you guys use for classic consoles, it is flatscreen. Thanks for your time.
ChuChu Flamingo
64-bit

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

I would need a model number please.

The best sets for gaming would be standard definition. The HD ones do upconverting and are digital based, which means picture quality will be lost. Additionally, a tiny bit of input lag.
LugNutX
8-bit

Post by LugNutX »

Side note on this topic...

Is anyone running both their retro consoles and newer gen machines (360, PS3, etc.) on the same TV? If so, what do you use? It seems the predicament is that retro games look and play best on older SD CRTs, while the newer stuff obviously likes HDTVs. Though they made widescreen CRT HDTVs (best of both worlds, if you don't mind the light-gun thing), you can no longer buy these in stores. They can also be very tricky to track down locally.

In that situation, do you run two different TV sets - one for retro and one for newer? Is anyone piping everything into a flat-panel HDTV?

I'm looking to consolidate my consoles into one game room and I'm torn on what to use as a display, since the technologies of yesterday and today are so different.

Thoughts?
DrCirno
24-bit

Post by DrCirno »

LugNutX wrote:Side note on this topic...

Is anyone running both their retro consoles and newer gen machines (360, PS3, etc.) on the same TV? If so, what do you use? It seems the predicament is that retro games look and play best on older SD CRTs, while the newer stuff obviously likes HDTVs. Though they made widescreen CRT HDTVs (best of both worlds, if you don't mind the light-gun thing), you can no longer buy these in stores. They can also be very tricky to track down locally.

In that situation, do you run two different TV sets - one for retro and one for newer? Is anyone piping everything into a flat-panel HDTV?

I'm looking to consolidate my consoles into one game room and I'm torn on what to use as a display, since the technologies of yesterday and today are so different.

Thoughts?

Mostly because of laziness I run both my retro games and newer games on my HDTV. I don't usually have problems because I have a Panasonic 42'' TV. I'm lucky too because Panasonic plasma panels usually have a great track record with up-scaling content, and I don't perceive any lag on the set either with games such as Waku Waku 7 or Comix Zone.

That said, All my retro connections have to be running through at least a S-Video connection. My Genesis is S-video, SNES & 64 are S-video, PS1, 3DO. Any of my consoles that don't do S-video are hooked up to my Trinitron in the bedroom(NES, 32X, Atari).

Back on the HDTV, I play the retro stuff in 4:3 mode, with all the video enhancements on the TV turned off. The 240P signal being up scaled still gets a small amount of pixel blending/smudging, but for the most part it is very sharp.

With all that considered, I still play my Genesis primarily on the Plasma TV along with the SNES. I wouldn't suggest using composite, and I wouldn't suggest it with anything other than a Panasonic or Samsung plasma (Or a Pioneer if you got one).
Boy I tell you what, are those some god dang video games?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

ChuChu Flamingo wrote:I would need a model number please.

The best sets for gaming would be standard definition. The HD ones do upconverting and are digital based, which means picture quality will be lost. Additionally, a tiny bit of input lag.

The lag connotation is from the refresh rate of older or cheaper LCDs resulting in Dot Crawl. Newer HDs don't have this problem, especially if a Plasma or LED. There is also the uncommon HD CRTs with a 4:3 screen. This is perfect for older consoles that do not support widescreen, as well as HD support for newer consoles.

I was fortunate to have purchased a Sony Wega HD CRT with a 4:3 screen brand new, it is model number KV32HS500. I run numerous consoles from an Atari 5200 RF all the way up to a Wii Component, all displaying clear pics. When the first HDs starting hitting the market, most of the HD CRTs were widescreen and the only way to get one now is used. Same with computer monitors, lucky to get a now uncommon LCD with a 4:3 screen, again because most my gaming and JPGs are in the 4:3 mode.

More info on HDs, Anamorphic and Input Choices at my CRT vs LCD signature link.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

ATARI800XLfan
128-bit

Post by ATARI800XLfan »

ChuChu Flamingo wrote:I would need a model number please.

where would the model number be listed on the TV, can't really move it to much since it weighs 200 pounds at least.
Jamisonia
128-bit

Post by Jamisonia »

There are WS SDCRT, but you lose FS screen size. There are lots of considerations when buying one though.

Some newer SD CRTs have new options like Velocity Scan Modulation. My opinion is you should turn all additional processing like VSM off. Especially if you want to use light guns.