Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Breetai
Next-Gen

Re: Is it time to start collecting the obscure?

by Breetai Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:38 pm

8bit wrote:Thanks for all of the input guys. Good feedback and made me think about how I should go about adding more systems.

I think I will continue to look for good deals on some of these and forget the CDi and Jaguar. the Turbo Duo will be high on my list as well as a NeoGeo CD system.

Again, thanks for everyones comments. :D

Not Turbo Duo. Get a PC Engine Duo, Duo-R or Duo-RX (or PC Engine original, Core Grafx, Core Grafx II or Super Grafx with either a CD-ROM2 w/Interface Unit and System 3.0 (or Arcade Pro) card or the Super CD-ROM2 add-on). Honest, it is less complicated than it seems!

Japanese HuCards are were it's at.

The Japanese HuCard library kicks the US libraries ass, and you can still play US CD-ROM games on it where you'll find the majority of RPGs (Ys!) as CD games are region-free.
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

by Dakinggamer87 Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:38 pm

I would skip the 64DD due to the lack of games and it's very expensive. I would go for either the TG-16, Jaguar, or 32X. The Philips CD-i library is nothing special mostly composed of learning and educational games. The Jaguar and 32X have some good games such as Tempest 2000, NBA Jam, and Aliens vs. Predator and for the Sega 32X it has some ports of arcade titles such as Virtual Fighter and classics like Knuckles Chaotix. TG-16 has some great games and the best library of the systems listed. I would definitely look at each system's library and compare which you are most interested in then go for it!! :D
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
BlackDS
Next-Gen

by BlackDS Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:50 pm

Turbo grafx is not that obscure, is it?

also get a 32x, becasue they are so cheap and you can find games in the wild for it
Ack wrote:You WILL be respectful of each other, or I WILL shove my mod foot so far up your Internet ass that your avatar will wince. Do you understand, children?

My Sale thread, lots of nintendo, neo-geo, and sega stuff!
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=24526&p=305373#p305373
Octopod
Next-Gen

by Octopod Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:39 pm

I vote PC-Engine also. I need to start buying more games for mine. :?
Hatta
Next-Gen

by Hatta Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:52 pm

BlackDS wrote:Turbo grafx is not that obscure, is it?

Depends on what crowd. Every gaming nerd has heard of Turbografx or PC-Engine. Few non-gamers know of anything beyond Nintendo or Sega.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
8bit
Next-Gen

by 8bit Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:59 pm

Hatta wrote:
BlackDS wrote:Turbo grafx is not that obscure, is it?

Depends on what crowd. Every gaming nerd has heard of Turbografx or PC-Engine. Few non-gamers know of anything beyond Nintendo or Sega.

Well I agree with what yall have both pointed out. But I want to clarify that I am a gaming nerd 100%. :shock: I have lots of experience with and fully know about each system, its games and good and bad points.... By "obscure" I think I meant to reference just these systems are not the mainstream.

I will not be getting the cdi or n64dd over anything anytime soon... its just that these systems are on the back of my mind and maybe at the end of my list. I think my actual purchase order is going to end up being:

1) Neo Geo CD(z)
2) 3DO
3) PC ENGINE Something-er-other
4) 32X
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread | My Collection Spreadsheet
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

by AmishSamurai Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:28 am

Get the PC-Engine, not the TG-16.

Look at that sexy thing. It's beautiful.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:17 am

Get a TubroGrafx-16, not the PC-Engine.

Just look at that beast.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Hifeno
16-bit

by Hifeno Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:28 pm

What is a good price for a 3DO
Hatta
Next-Gen

by Hatta Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:49 pm

I paid $60 shipped for my FZ-10 with controller. I think that was fair. I probably could have gotten a better deal on a bare console through eBay, but I hate getting sniped, and I got confirmation that it ran CD-Rs from the seller. Being able to play Road Rash 3D0 is worth $60 easily.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
Return to Game Rooms & Home Theater