Is it time to start collecting the obscure?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
8bit
Next-Gen

Is it time to start collecting the obscure?

Post by 8bit »

Okay guys. I have been thinking about this a lot recently... and I want to know the opinions of my fellow "collectors". Right now I have all of the systems in my signature along with a grand total of over 550 games... but I have been considering starting to collect the oddball systems and the popular and rare titles for them. These are the systems I am considering:

Turbo Grafx 16/Duo --- looks well rounded and fun
Panasonic 3DO -- cheap and cheap to burn games for
Phillips CDi --- I almost bought one of these with my grandfather from Conns as a child
Atari Jaguar --- eh... temptest?
Sega 32X ... ive got every other sega system...
N64 DD ... because this was the biggest cock tease in gaming history (for me at least)

I know some of these are money sinks, kinda b.s. for gameplay, and can honestly just take up space but I am wondering if I should just go for it and enjoy what each of these has to offer? Some would be decent investments also because there value should stay up there and I could get most of my money back if needed...

Is these something that I am missing that is a better choice? Which system do you think I should I start with first or do you think I am set with the primary collection of great systems already?!
Last edited by 8bit on Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Re: Is it time to start collecting the obscure?

Post by flojocabron »

go for what makes you happy!

it should always be fun and not a chore when it comes to collecting

Part of what I like about collecting is finding it "out in the wild"

its all about the thrill of finding that good deal, bartering with the seller, and other stuff.

now that you will be getting rarer systems, its not about buying it, but how you came across it.

Personally, most of my collection has been bought in yardsales, pawnshops and fleamarkets.

thats what makes it fun for me. Others shop on-line or bid for their items and thats ok, but for me I like getting up early and finding those good deals before someone else.

All of those systems have their good and bad qualities.

dont worry tho, you will have them all soon enough.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
Lokkenjawnz
128-bit

Post by Lokkenjawnz »

I'd recommend the 3DO or the 32X, because they're both fairly cheap, and cheap to collect for. And like you said the 3DO has the added advantage of burning games which lets you try out games first. The 3DO doesn't have a huge library, or necessarily the best library in the world, but there's plenty of good games at cheap prices available for the system, and a decent community of other collectors to help you out.

As far as the best library though, I'd say you should go for the TG-16. I don't know a whole lot about the system, but I know it's got a pretty amazing library from what I hear. Damn, I need to pick one up actually.
My Want List!

Consoles: Sega Master System, NES Toploader, Genesis/32X, Sega CDX, SNES, 3DO FZ-1, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Sony PS2, Nintendo Gamecube, Xbox Halo Edition, Wii, PS3
Handhelds: Atari Lynx, Sega Nomad, Neo Geo Pocket Color, GBC (Atomic Purple, Pokemon Edition), GBA (Pink OG, Silver SP, Spongebob SP+), DS (Phat, iXL), 3DS, PSP (1000, Go)
final fight cd
Next-Gen

Post by final fight cd »

generally speaking, all those systems suck minus the turbo 16. and unless you are a hardcore nintendo or n64 fan i don't see the point in wasting your money on a n64dd.

so my vote is tg16.
if you took a shit, please put it back
saturnfan
128-bit

Post by saturnfan »

Get a jaguar so you can shoot fireballs from your crotch in kasumi ninja.

But in all seriousness, go for the t-16 first.
t0yrobo
Next-Gen

Post by t0yrobo »

Either TG16 or PC Engine. Of all those they have the most/best games, especially if you're interested in shmups. It easily has the most games you'd actually want to play.
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

I'd say get the TG-16 or PC Engine, then 3DO. Skip the rest unless you can get them for dirt cheap.

You could easily skip the 3DO as well, but I wouldn't pass it up if I found a good deal.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

The 64DD is expensive and there really is only one "game" or good game; F-Zero Track Editor.

I'd recommend the TurboGrafx/PC Engine Duo. Great games too. :D
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
robbievgb
16-bit

Post by robbievgb »

I'd go for for the TG (or even a Duo!), followed by the 3DO, and then the Jaguar.

the 3DO and Turbo Grafx have a much more well rounded library and you're bound to find something you enjoy on them. I like the Jaguar just for its historical perspective, it's got a few good games, but certainly is a little bit more of a niche system. the 32X also has some decent games and maybe is a bit more affordable to collect than the aforementioned.

CD-i games are hard to come by and finding a proper gamepad that's not essentially a TV remote is pricey, and I'm not sure entirely worth it. If you find a good deal then go for it but I think you'd be better off getting a 3DO, Turbo Grafx, or Jag first.

I'd say do some research and find a handful of games exclusive to each system that you just have to try, then go hunting and see what deals you can find.

Good luck on your quest!
Dylan
Next-Gen

Post by Dylan »

Like pretty much everyone else, I'll suggest the TG16/PC Engine. Not always cheap, but has a much more substantial library than the others. You'll want to do some research on that one before you buy, though.