whats the best crt for lightgun games?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Jamisonia
128-bit

Re: whats the best crt for lightgun games?

Post by Jamisonia »

When looking for a TV from the Sony Wega line of SDTVs look for an "FV" model over the more common "FS". The FVs have a 3D digital comb filter. This will make your composite sources look damn close to s-video quality.
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

Jamisonia wrote:When looking for a TV from the Sony Wega line of SDTVs look for an "FV" model over the more common "FS". The FVs have a 3D digital comb filter. This will make your composite sources look damn close to s-video quality.

I always knew that 3D digital comb filters were the best, and I knew the basic concepts behind it, but I didn't know exactly what the difference between types of comb filters was. I just read a very illuminating article precisely describing the difference.

Apparently, a 2d digital 3 line comb filter should provide virtually the same output quality as a 3d digital comb filter for video games. The benefits of a "3d" filter are only applied to static horizontal lines in an image. If there is any difference in a particular scan line between two frames, the filter reverts back to the regular 2d filter mode for that scan line.

I suspect there are very few components of a video game image where a significant number of horizontal scan lines would be static during game play. To top it off, there are slight chances of a 3d filter introducing errors that do not occur with regular 2d filters.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
Jamisonia
128-bit

Post by Jamisonia »

could you post this article. You don't think that a system like the NES has a lot of static horizontal lines?
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I want to bring up an old thread for a new problem. I never had a lightgun issue before this week.
I had a interact ps1/saturn lightgun that worked on my TV. My kids played with it and broke the trigger. I purchased a Nyko Cobra (no yellow plug) that is both PS1 and Saturn Compatable on ebay. I tried VC and V. Cop 2 on the Saturn and the gun is only registering every shot as "off the screen" I can reload like a boss, but cant hit anything.

I though it was the TV (The TV is: Magnavox 27ms4504/17) but then I tried a PS1 game and it worked fine. Any suggestions on why this gun wont work with my Saturn?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

I remember having the same issue the same light gun on the Saturn a while back. It wouldn't work with any game that recommends using the official Stunner gun. I believed it worked with SAT version of Area 51.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

CD AGES wrote:I remember having the same issue the same light gun on the Saturn a while back. It wouldn't work with any game that recommends using the official Stunner gun. I believed it worked with SAT version of Area 51.

So I tried SCUD and it now doesn't do anything. The start button is the only thing that works on both SCUD and V. Cops. Still works on PS1.

Edit: I also noticed that the LEDs on the side will only light up when there is a controller plugged into the 2nd port on the Saturn.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

SpaceBooger wrote:I want to bring up an old thread for a new problem. I never had a lightgun issue before this week.

Oh this piece of shit! This thing drove me nuts for a few days as a kid trying to get it to work with point blank and time crisis. It's more like a big blue turd instead of a functional light gun. I kept in my dresser drawer for a many years until I finally threw it in the trash.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I'm starting to feel the same way since it won't work on my Saturn games. I will keep out because it's comfortable and works perfect for PS1 games. At least I now know it's not my tv.

I wish I could figure out how to make it work on my Saturn.
BLOG | BST
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

So I played around with this again tonight. I cleaned the Saturn connector and cant see anything wrong. I don't get how this gun works with the PS1 but not the Saturn. I first thought it was the fact that the TV was a flat screen CRT but once it worked on the PS1 I thought it was the gun.
Now I am wondering if anyone knows if the TV will matter between a Saturn lightgun game and a PS1 game? Maybe the PS1 (tested with Elemental Gearbolt) is better and less finicky than the Saturn when it comes to TVs... or because it works with the PS1 it's not the TV and the light gun itself.
BLOG | BST
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Definitely sounds like it's the gun itself. The TV shouldn't matter.