Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
SegaVega
24-bit

by SegaVega Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:34 am

baphomet_irl wrote:is there anywhere online they can be bought ye think?

You can still get them at www.streetfightercontroller.com . Ebay has some new ones at half that price - but it's eBay.

does that SFII stick have that proper crisp, clicking feel that the DC stick has? - also is it square or octagonal gate?

It's octagonal, and about as high quality as you could get. I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed. If you want to go the extra mile, they're also selling a HAPP 360 edition (not for Xbox 360, it's just the name) which is the stick-standard many of Capcom's refurbished SuperTurbo cabinets are usually outfitted with. It's $30 more. But for the best ones, http://www.massystems.com/ProStick.html . They've gotten a lot cheaper (believe it or not) and they custom build them with Perfect 360 sticks, which are optical, and used in most tournament ready arcade cabinets. You can also choose between getting JPN convex or US concave buttons (the SF Anniversary stick has convex buttons). It's a bit extreme, but they've always been the best.

Because I lose when I use a stick and I win when I use a gamepad. That simple. Some things in life just don't work for everyone

Thanks for the life lesson :wink: :wink: Whether you've taken the time to learn a stick or would just rather play with standard controllers, there are some things quite impossible on a pad.

It makes no sense to me because a stick requires more movement than a pad does, and more movement means slower response. I'd rather move my thumb, instead of my entire arm, because my thumb is going to do the job twice as fast.

Try holding the arcade stick differently (looser maybe). You shouldn't be using your entire arm, just your wrist - you must be clenching it completely. It's just two rapid taps for a high jump "up-down". I don't see d-pads being quicker because thumb movements like "up-down" are much slower than jolting your wrist lightly as you would for an arcade stick.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

by Mozgus Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:28 am

SegaVega wrote:Thanks for the life lesson :wink: :wink: Whether you've taken the time to learn a stick or would just rather play with standard controllers, there are some things quite impossible on a pad.

That statement is just as subjective as my own. Outside of some of the top 3% most complicated moves of Virtual Fighter 2, I can't think of a fighting game that had moves which I wasn't able to learn and rely on after a few attempts from the start. The matches me and a buddy have had in GGX, using that supposedly weird Dreamcast controller, have been just as intense and impressive as the finest brawls which I've been able to find from youtube'd tournament matches.

It comes down to practice, and that's it.
SegaVega
24-bit

by SegaVega Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:20 am

Mozgus wrote: The matches me and a buddy have had in GGX, using that supposedly weird Dreamcast controller, have been just as intense and impressive as the finest brawls which I've been able to find from youtube'd tournament matches.

Guilty Gear will always look that way. It's great that you're having fun with it and doing cool flashy things, but please don't undermine what you see from tournaments. I don't play GG too deeply, but I know a lot of the top US players, and I can say that it's a game played to an unbelievable complexity. The fast and frenetic action doesn't translate the techniques being used -- trust me, the people you've seen have taken it to another level but you wouldn't know it from just a video.

Keeping things short, I'll leave out all the things I've never seen anyone do with a standard controller.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

by Mozgus Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:28 am

SegaVega wrote:Keeping things short, I'll leave out all the things I've never seen anyone do with a standard controller.

And I'm just going to continue to respectfully disagree. I think a controller is just as capable.
baphomet_irl
128-bit

by baphomet_irl Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:08 am

SegaVega, what do you think of people that say u should hold the stick (if its a ball obviously) with your palm facing up?

when i was young there was always these 1337 little bastards that would play SF that way...
baphomet_irl
128-bit

by baphomet_irl Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:12 am

When I tried go to order on streetfightercontroller.com - it came up with a database error - maybe its one of those pages you have to open in IE :s

Jesus theres a lot of options on that MAS joystick page, sorry now im gonna have even MORE questions :p

the Perfect 360 joysticks - do they still 'click' or is the stick just kind of floating around in the gate?

Which spring setting option would be closes to the Agetec DC stick? - cos I love that, although my one is supposed to have Sanwa buttons
and stick (yes I got it on eBay (the buttons and stick aren't green and they're convex)) - but yeh I love the feel of it...

PS - is it possible to get those MAS controllers with ball sticks?
SegaVega
24-bit

by SegaVega Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:17 pm

SegaVega, what do you think of people that say u should hold the stick (if its a ball obviously) with your palm facing up?

when i was young there was always these 1337 little bastards that would play SF that way...

It's hard to talk about how players hold the JPN "ball" stick, because most interrupt whatever method they use with "pushing" and tapping during certain moves.

If anyone tells you that holding it from the bottom is the de facto way for experts, they're wrong. If they are clenching the stick like that completely and not letting off, they're missing the point. A lot of the expert Japanese players I've seen or played manage the stick in something you could consider to be what you described, but will often let off of it. The ball stick is meant to be versitile, and the most successful users will interchange how they manage it. "Ghost" tapping or "quick" tapping it from the sides is easily a proven way, as you'd only actually touch the stick with strong degree when making a movement, and you'd do so very quickly. That's a lot like what the US "bat" stick affords, except the ball allows other ways of controlling it during the use of that method. Ultimately, if you're trying to use a ball stick most effectively in SF you'd have to hold it from the bottom, yet also from the side.

While the effectiveness of those methods will vary between games, the Japanese VF players are proof that "palm up" isn't the only way to play - some of the top VF players not only hold the stick from the top, but hit the buttons with the same hand. This is of course on the JPN cabinets with the condensed control panels, but it's proven to be effective for the players who do that (and it's really impressive).

the Perfect 360 joysticks - do they still 'click' or is the stick just kind of floating around in the gate?

Which spring setting option would be closes to the Agetec DC stick? - cos I love that, although my one is supposed to have Sanwa buttons
and stick (yes I got it on eBay (the buttons and stick aren't green and they're convex)) - but yeh I love the feel of it...

PS - is it possible to get those MAS controllers with ball sticks?

The Perfect 360 sticks don't actually "click" -- if you hear anything at all, it'll be just the movement and tapping of the stick. If you're looking to replicate your DC stick, the normal SuperPro (sans Perfect360) would be the closer of the two they offer. I also don't believe they make them with ball sticks, but I'm sure there are some Japanese retailers with a similar equivalent. I wouldn't know where to find them though...
baphomet_irl
128-bit

by baphomet_irl Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:33 pm

thanks for all the info :)

Ill go about ordering one of the MAS Sticks soon I think :)
shallowgamer
128-bit

by shallowgamer Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:50 pm

EB and Gamestop are getting rid of their SF sticks for 30 bucks. I picked up a couple and are very pleased with them. Just call around and you may get lucky.

Best of all, they're pre-mapped for the street fighter anthology collections for the xbox; no messing around with the options menu.

And just to clear up any confusion, these are NOT anything like the Nuby sticks that came out for Soul Calibur, King of fighters, etc.. Those had an analog stick and vibration built in. I didn't like the feel of them at all.

Another gem in the "closeout" category is the Tekken 5 ultimate edition package (30 bucks at EB). This contains the game and a HORI joystick for the PS2. Excellent stick, very durable. Hori has made a name for themselves in Japan, but never did much over here. Works great with Gradius 5, but strangely enough, is NOT supported by Silpheed for the PS2. Looks like working designs lets you use the digital pad on dual shock, but doesn't allow for a digital stick to be used on that one. Nice job, boys.
baphomet_irl
128-bit

by baphomet_irl Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:08 am

shallowgamer wrote:EB and Gamestop are getting rid of their SF sticks for 30 bucks. I picked up a couple and are very pleased with them. Just call around and you may get lucky.

Best of all, they're pre-mapped for the street fighter anthology collections for the xbox; no messing around with the options menu.

And just to clear up any confusion, these are NOT anything like the Nuby sticks that came out for Soul Calibur, King of fighters, etc.. Those had an analog stick and vibration built in. I didn't like the feel of them at all.

Another gem in the "closeout" category is the Tekken 5 ultimate edition package (30 bucks at EB). This contains the game and a HORI joystick for the PS2. Excellent stick, very durable. Hori has made a name for themselves in Japan, but never did much over here. Works great with Gradius 5, but strangely enough, is NOT supported by Silpheed for the PS2. Looks like working designs lets you use the digital pad on dual shock, but doesn't allow for a digital stick to be used on that one. Nice job, boys.

unfortunately I don't think those promotions are happening over here :S

yeh I dont like the feel of my SCII stick at all - too mushy
Return to Game Rooms & Home Theater