Cord management/ distance issues in Game Rooms

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
shallowgamer
128-bit

Cord management/ distance issues in Game Rooms

Post by shallowgamer »

Hi All,

I'm putting a game room in my basement. I'm thinking of putting a 48" screen in it, so it would be nice if I could sit at least 10 feet away from it. I'm steering away from putting the consoles by the TV, since

a) controller cables for old school consoles are 6 feet or less
b) I'd really like to have everything ready to play, instead of pulling it from a shelf and setting it on the floor so the cords would reach.

My good friend got around this by getting cordless controllers for all of his current gen stuff, but that still leaves the older units corded.

My only solution right now is to put the consoles on a 2-tier table by the couch. Then I would have to put all the AV and power cords in a conduit running to the TV (I'll try to post a beautiful MSPaint rendering below)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

In my first appartment, I thought about having pretty much the identical setup.
But clutter in/on the table just wasn't attractive and keeping the video cables hidden was a challenge.
I still think having them by the TV is the best route to go and try to get extension cables for the controllers if possible.

Or have it easy to pull the console you want out into the middle on demand with some long video cables and some availible slack.

Just my thoughts.
Cerulean
64-bit

Post by Cerulean »

Duck tape the cords down if you are gonna run the av/power cables from the coffee table.
shallowgamer
128-bit

Post by shallowgamer »

Duck tape the cords down if you are gonna run the av/power cables from the coffee table.

That's the beauty of the conduit. It would be a 2" diameter tube to hold all of the A/V and power. Of course, you'd still have a 2" tube to trip over..
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

This was a problem I always had as well... the other problem was also sending power to it too!

What I imagined was a hard top coffee table in a half circle shape. It had compartments along the curve of the half circle for placing my video game consoles and then on the other side was a door that opened to a cabinet area for storing controllers and access to all the cabling. The cabling would then go into a switch box mounted into the coffee table and the buttons are accessable on the top side of the coffee table in the middle with a bit of a cork display area around it for placing remote controls and also lowering the chance of people placing there stuff there and screwing up the switch box.

The switch box would then all go into a VGA upscan box OR Component converter box. These cables would then be sent towards the TV in the most nonintrusive manner. I always assumed I did this in a home I owned so that I can send the wires through a conduite under the floor boards. But alas most people probably don't even want to do this in their own purchased homes.

When I was 16 and lived in my parents garage my stereo and computer (which I sent video to my TV from) were on the other side of the room from the TV and video games. I used these rubber floor things that hid wires (used mostly in offices) and hid them under the floor rug I had. I left a light bulge under the carpet, but nothing bad and it protected the wires if someone stepped on them. You know, like these things:

Anyways here is a MSPaint rendition of the coffee table.

I also sometimes thought about making some compartments drawers on the front. Placing them in aesthetically pleasing places like maybe the top far left and right compartments. Then the one diagonal down to its respective right or left. This would look nice and be very functional. You'd need to be a carpenter though!

I know me and how I am and I would go all out on top of it too. I'd add a small halogen bulb, permanent powerstrip/surge protector into the wiring compartment. I'd also add extra A/V inputs next to the switch box on top of the coffee table for quick access (like a GP2X and it's TV out, or a friends console he brought over). And knowing my uber geekiness I'd build a small linux thin client into it with a keyboard and mouse on the coffee table along with a DVD rom mounted up there for movies and web surfing from the couch. (the thin client would run off my Linux LTSP server... yeah already have one)

I'm lazy... eh whatever.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
shallowgamer
128-bit

Post by shallowgamer »

also lowering the chance of people placing there stuff there and screwing up the switch box.

Hadn't even thought of that. The first thing people are going to do is put their drinks on the coffee table in front of them. With my proposed setup, one spilled soda could damage 5 consoles..

Since I'm not a carpenter, I was initially going to go with a simple 2-tiered table. The accessories were going into a built-in chest/bench on the wall to the right.

But, your proposed setup would protect the systems by keeping them under the table surface. Good call, and thanks for the drawings!
shallowgamer
128-bit

Re: Cord management/ distance issues in Game Rooms

Post by shallowgamer »

Super bump!

I jettisoned the "20 systems to main tv" approach because:

a) it was cluttered as hell
b) all the pre 2005 systems looked like ass on the 52" 1080p.

I picked up a 36" Trinitron Wega for dreamcast, Neo Geo MVS, Gamecube/SNES, CoinOP'd XBOX.

I picked up a 27" Trinitron Wega for all my light gun needs (Genny, Saturn, PS2 Guncon, another dreamcast). I found a TV cart that puts it right at head level for the arcade feel. Think grade school TV/VCR cart for watching movies in health class. And since it's on wheels, I can roll it right by the couch if I feel like playing old school sitting down.

I'll take new pictures for my game room thread soon.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Cord management/ distance issues in Game Rooms

Post by fastbilly1 »

shallowgamer wrote:I found a TV cart that puts it right at head level for the arcade feel. Think grade school TV/VCR cart for watching movies in health class. And since it's on wheels, I can roll it right by the couch if I feel like playing old school sitting down.

Ive been combing craigslist, ebay, and local stores for one ever since seeing this:
http://retrorgb.com/rgbcart.html

But I would set it up for two or four consoles at a time instead of nine.