Will you buy an OLED tv.

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
scottykick
32-bit

Will you buy an OLED tv.

Post by scottykick »

Sure at the moment you can only get an 11 inch model from Sony, but this year should see a 27 inch model, and that should be followed by more respectible sizes 32 inches and higher. OLED's seem to merge the strenghts of LC & Plasma into one super slim TV, I am sure it will be pricey, but atl east once they start coming out, it should knock the prices of LCD's down even more.
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

Re: Will you buy an OLED tv.

Post by Dakinggamer87 »

Yep.. this is the TV I plan to buy to replace my current HDTV when prices and sizes are at a good price.. till then my LCD/DLP will be fine.. but also may considering keeping mine and get as a second TV for the bedroom..
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
Flak Beard
Next-Gen

Post by Flak Beard »

Not any time soon. I just got my LCD in November. I like my TVs to last me a good 7 to 10 years.

I'm still using a CRT I bought back in 2002 in the other room.
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

I'll probably be rocking the analog CRTs for as long as I can find them.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
RadarScope1
Next-Gen

Post by RadarScope1 »

Definitely want one, but I'm not getting anytime soon. Saw the 11 incher on display at a BB Magnolia center and it looked sooo sweet. I just a 46 plasma, so in about 8-10 years when it comes time to get another set hopefully they'll be affordable enough for me.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

Hatta wrote:I'll probably be rocking the analog CRTs for as long as I can find them.

Hell yeah I just got my 27 in. JVC overhauled last week so now it looks all new & shiny.

By the way if you need to get a standard def. crt fixed/overhauled the time is now because it took me about a month to find a repair shop that would even touch a CRT if it needed major repair, or the tube/other major parts to be replaced, because apparently no picture tubes are currently being manufactured new, and hardly anybody repairs/rebuilds/rejuvinates them anymore.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
ThunderPrince
24-bit

Post by ThunderPrince »

what is an OLED tv? it sounds pretty fancy
scottykick
32-bit

Post by scottykick »

Well here are some links that will catch you up to speed, on the future of HDTV, but remember way back when the Sharp Aquos 20 inch was the only LCD on the market and it was like $1,500 or something, OLED will be like that times two. It is basically a screen format that can be LESS then paper thin, that has a million to 1 contrast ratio, Samsung has gone so far as to say they can make a bendable OLED, I guess that would be good for commercial ads, on the corner of buildings, but I would see little home use for something like that. Another drawback to early OLED's will be similar to early LCD's and Plasma's that their life span will be short, maybe 5-7 years before they burn out. It is also tricky tech, because it is hard to develope large screens and monitors, which is why right now the only one available is an 11 inch model from Sony, although they say they will have a 22 ond 27 Inch model out this year.

OLED Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_li ... ting_diode

Sony 27 iNCH OLED
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/06/vide ... jaws-open/

Enjoy
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

So when's the timeframe when these will be a decent competition for LCD in terms of price and size?
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Why not , its an amazing picture
But as you see, its too early
I guess the problem with the world today is that companies announce a technology too early making a consumer wait. Can you think of the first people who heard about HD tv's and waited for them to get low price?
Now OLED , prices are going to be okay maybe in 4-5 years at least.
It is same with gaming, honestly, Wii's and PS3 showed so much novelty on motion control and the ps3 on bluray capacity and power, now to or 3 years after their release we hardly see any game taking advantage of that. There is nothing wrong with the 360.
Not to mention long waits for games, like since when did Sony announced Home? It is still not out, and little big planet.

As for lifetime, they expect me to change my tv every 5-7 years?
Things that make you appreciate the CRT. I think the CRT was made to
last you a lifetime.