Checkmate New Retro Monitor

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Checkmate New Retro Monitor

Post by Jagosaurus »

So I referenced this on the CRT thread as it's been tossed around if any one would ever make a new retro focused display...

Looks like that time is here... or in development rather:
https://youtu.be/iUKQhCGUHWc

... the modular AV I/O design and MiSTER "pod" definitely got my attention. In addition to RGB, will support some of the more oddball retro PC resolution and refresh rates.

Funded Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ch ... w-systems/

Thought we could use this thread to follow progress 8)

Y'all see this thing yet? Was news to me personally.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
marurun

Re: Checkmate New Retro Monitor

Post by marurun »

I worry the various panels you can choose won't have the proper resolution to truly massage out visual artifacts resulting from upscaling content. That was one thing the Analog Pocket gets right: massive resolution so that upscaling can be properly filtered and processed to make it look good as gold.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Right on, Jag! Thanks for posting this thread. I would love to follow the progress of it.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I hear ya @marurun. I think the driver to this is convenience. Proper inputs, many options, low latency, & upscaled on nice IPS monitor.

The 15 Hz PC options are actually really interesting to me. For example the Jaguar (and many other retro PCs) support RGB at 15 Hz over a 15 PIN (VGA style) connector. You're SOL these days.

Lots of potential in the pods from MiSTER to OSSC tray ... I imagine the community will take off on 3D printed modules.

@Ziggy ... well my OG Poly Omega thread ended with mixed reception :lol:

But I've seen SUPER limited coverage on this unit comparatively so just wanted to bring to folks attention.

Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I saw some videos about it. High quality IPS for sure. Low latency, and great image, but it's still just a tiny flat-screen gaming LCD. 4x3 is a boon, but not for that price.
Also the plastic looks really cheap and almost 3-d printed in quality.
It doesn't do anything special - I could just buy a different gaming LCD with low latency and hook up one of those scalers and put them in a box, if I were into such things.
Low resolution doesn't look very good on any LCD IMO I'd still recommend a Retrotink 5X pro and a bigger screen with low latency. At least you can tweak the filters to make it look similar to a good CRT.
I guess this is too niche for me. I'm not at all interested in owning one.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Anapan wrote:Also the plastic looks really cheap and almost 3-d printed in quality.

I was assuming it was just a prototype case.

Are they planning on getting injection molds when it comes time for a production run?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Yeah correct, these units are both the prototype builds.

Over in the UK, the retro computer scene is bigger than Stateside. During our "video game crash" they were all rocking computers. They run into similar problems today that aracde scene enthusiasts see ... such as getting RGB at 15Hz over a DB9 VGA style connector to a modern monitor...

now combine a single unit that'll run all those obscure retro PCs alongside your NES... or Sega Mega Drive in PAL resolutions for Brits 8)

Also....part of my interest is this being the first retro focused monitor we'll see released. Will we see more down the line? The community has speculated for years if this would happen.