Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Robonaut
8-bit

Worth it to try and fix a Panasonic CT-34WX50 HD CRT?

by Robonaut Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:26 pm

My sister has been using my old Panasonic CT-34WX50 for over ten years now.

It's been a great TV, but now it keeps turning itself off every 30 minutes or so.

From the little research I've done, it seems to be a power supply problem of some sort.

My sister is definitely done with the set and is ready to upgrade to a LCD.

I'm just wondering if it's worth it to try and salvage this unit? I know some gamers love their old CRTs.

I've no use for it myself as I have an old Sony Trinitron that I use for retro gaming. But I hate to see a cool piece of retro tech like this just end up in the trash. :cry:
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Worth it to try and fix a Panasonic CT-34WX50 HD CRT?

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:16 pm

Does it turn back on no problem if you press the power button after it shuts itself off?
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

marurun

by marurun Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:08 pm

Could it be someone accidentally set the sleep timer? And it's failing to forget that it's on?
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
chuckster
32-bit

by chuckster Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:15 pm

Worth it? I'd say yes to that question for any CRT. Actually doing it is another matter. If you have any TV repair shops around you may call and see if they will even take a look for a reasonable price.
Robonaut
8-bit

by Robonaut Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:59 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Does it turn back on no problem if you press the power button after it shuts itself off?

Unfortunately, no. It sounds like my sister has to unplug it, wait, like, a half-hour, and then plug it back in and turn it on.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:29 pm

Robonaut wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:Does it turn back on no problem if you press the power button after it shuts itself off?

Unfortunately, no. It sounds like my sister has to unplug it, wait, like, a half-hour, and then plug it back in and turn it on.

Ah, I've got nothing then. One of my CRTs shuts off on its own, but it's as if a ghost is pressing the power button; it immediately turns right back on no problem. Sorry I can't help, bud; I was gonna give you my ghetto fix for my issue, but it sounds like yours is completely different.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:39 am

Robonaut wrote:My sister has been using my old Panasonic CT-34WX50 for over ten years now. It's been a great TV, but now it keeps turning itself off every 30 minutes or so. From the little research I've done, it seems to be a power supply problem of some sort. It sounds like my sister has to unplug it, wait, like, a half-hour, and then plug it back in and turn it on.

My sister is definitely done with the set and is ready to upgrade to a LCD. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to try and salvage this unit? I know some gamers love their old CRTs. I've no use for it myself as I have an old Sony Trinitron that I use for retro gaming. But I hate to see a cool piece of retro tech like this just end up in the trash. :cry:

My Avatar shows my preference so maybe biased. The LCD would not be an upgrade for any SD signals due to upscale to fixed resolution, a CRT even an HD CRT does not have upscale issues. The LCD/LED a better choice only if every TV channel and game system is HD matched to the fixed resolution of the HD TV.

chuckster wrote:Worth it? I'd say yes to that question for any CRT. Actually doing it is another matter. If you have any TV repair shops around you may call and see if they will even take a look for a reasonable price.

A very long shot of TV Repair shop reasonable cost repair let alone find anyone locally that would tackle the CRT. On the other hand, if the Panasonic HD CRT similar to the Sony WEGAs in the power PCB, a possibility of an inexpensive power detection chip replacement. The problems mentioned certainly points to the same issue. In before anyone suggests it. No, do not replace all the Capacitors. However if you do see one bulging or leaking, then that could be the issue. I would inspect the chip part numbers first to see if any are the defective power detection type as pointed out in my guide.

Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=458437#p458437

Panasonic CT-34WX50 flashing red light - http://www.tv-forums.com/forum/TV_Equip ... s_P162631/

When an abnormality has occurred for a power supply line, the protection circuit (power supply protector / detection of abnormal high voltage) operate and cuts the power supply. At this time, the defective line can be identified by the number of flashes (red) of the "Power supply/function standby/video reception" indication at the front of the unit by means of the fault line which has operated the protection circuit.

One to seven flashes.
1 = High voltage protect
2 = +25V, +144V overcurrent detection, vertical drive +15V voltage drop
3 = +5V voltage drop
4 = DD module main voltage drop
5 = DD module sub voltage rise
6 = Voltage drop (+3.3V / 9V / +12V)
7 = +25V, +144 V overcurrent detection
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Return to Game Rooms & Home Theater