Smoother 2D graphics in MAME

Emu Talk Goes Here
kidsampson
8-bit

Smoother 2D graphics in MAME

Post by kidsampson »

Is there any way to make the graphics in 2D games run smoother in MAME? I'm trying to make the fighting games I am playing a bit less pixelated / jagged. Just not familiar with the program enough to know which changes would correct this, if any.
Funk, E
128-bit

Post by Funk, E »

Hah, wrong topic.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

I'm not sure what you mean? Do you mean anti-aliasing?

If you are wanting filtering then there are a few plugins out there for that kind of thing like 2xsai etc. All that they do is approximate the next pixel and fill in the gaps.

It's an acquired taste though.

This thread should be in the Emulation forum though.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Boaby Kenobi
16-bit

Re: Smoother 2D graphics in MAME

Post by Boaby Kenobi »

kidsampson wrote:Is there any way to make the graphics in 2D games run smoother in MAME? I'm trying to make the fighting games I am playing a bit less pixelated / jagged. Just not familiar with the program enough to know which changes would correct this, if any.

Before you run a game in MAME you can adjust all kinds of different settings. Right click on a game and go to properties and it will give you loads of different options.
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Post by skate323k137 »

you can try putting your monitor on its lowest supported resolution. Personally I always use MAME on my TV through S-Video, my monitors are just too sharp.
kidsampson
8-bit

Post by kidsampson »

These suggestions helped. The biggest difference came in reducing the monitor's resolution to its lowest setting. It also helped to run it in window mode so that it could be resized. The smaller windows look a lot better. I'm not sure what all the terminology means, like anti-aliasing and such, but the problem was that the image was too big and the pixels were not smooth. It played well in the larger screens, it just didn't look as smooth, for lack of a better word. Thanks guys.
Lodestar
128-bit

Post by Lodestar »

Hah, I went out of my way with MAME to make it display in the right aspect ratio with RAW pixels. No bilinear filtering at all, I hate the way that looks.

Try hardware stretch, though.