Future of Booting Emulators on the Wii

Emu Talk Goes Here
racketboy
Site Admin

Future of Booting Emulators on the Wii

Post by racketboy »

Those of you that are familiar with the Wii hardware, what do you think the future holds for booting emulators on the Wii?
As it is right now, running emulators isn't to the level or running them as a convenience.
Do you think we will get to that point anytime soon and how to you imagine it happening?

Hacking Virtual Console/Wii Ware?
Booting from a hacked disc straight to emus on SD cards?
Phantom of Krankor

Post by Phantom of Krankor »

I hope for the homebrew to grow to the level that I can create or just add in my own channels for everything. Not only for roms but for other programs and what not. Channels for games that will never be released, ie Mother/Earthbound 0, Goldeneye, Crouching Tigers Hidden Dragon 2003, Marvel Vs Capcom, etc, along with VLC. Actually I would be happy just for there to be a way to transfer saves to gamecube memory cards from SD cards. I would buy a Wii right now for that function.
diehllane
32-bit

Post by diehllane »

I have no problem with where emulation is at on the Wii. I don't mind running the emulators in GC mode straight from the discs I had when I had a modded GC.

Eventually, I would like to see the ability to load and run Emulators off SD cards or a USB flash drive.
Atari 2600 (AV mod), NES, SNES (region switch for PAL), Virtual Boy, Gamecube, Wii (D2CKey), PSX (Stealth V), PS2 (independence exploit w/ 160 GB HDD), Goldstar 3DO, Philips CD-i, Dreamcast, Saturn (racketboy's chip), Sega Genesis 2 + CD2 + 32X + Power Base Converter, Game Gear.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

diehllane wrote:I have no problem with where emulation is at on the Wii. I don't mind running the emulators in GC mode straight from the discs I had when I had a modded GC.

Eventually, I would like to see the ability to load and run Emulators off SD cards or a USB flash drive.

Is that with a modchip? (pardon my ignorance)
diehllane
32-bit

Post by diehllane »

Yes. I am running the D2CKey in my Wii. I had a bunch of emulators for the GC when I had a GC chipped with the Qoob Pro.
Atari 2600 (AV mod), NES, SNES (region switch for PAL), Virtual Boy, Gamecube, Wii (D2CKey), PSX (Stealth V), PS2 (independence exploit w/ 160 GB HDD), Goldstar 3DO, Philips CD-i, Dreamcast, Saturn (racketboy's chip), Sega Genesis 2 + CD2 + 32X + Power Base Converter, Game Gear.
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

You can use Twilight Princess to play emulators on the Wii without it being modded. The thing there is that it isn't super convenient, so it's prolly not worth the effort.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

News just in. Somebody has figured out how to decrypt VC titles. So it won't be long until somebody figures out how to roll your own channels on wii with a proper front end (at the moment it's just a blank placeholder) They've stated that the titles on VC are just roms and that they work perfectly well on emulators!.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Post by Curlypaul »

Phantom of Krankor wrote: I would be happy just for there to be a way to transfer saves to gamecube memory cards from SD cards. I would buy a Wii right now for that function.

Damned right that would be useful, and I'm sure that it would have took nintendo a minimal amount of time to make it possible had they have wanted to.

As for the actual thread question, It would be cool if we could get access to the emulators nintendo wrote for the virtual console one way or another but I dont think we are going to find a reliable way to do this until the next gen and nintendo stop forcing you to update the bios.
ImportBoy
64-bit

Post by ImportBoy »

At this point I think modchip makers are going to have come up with something that is able to store two different firmwares/system softwares. That way when an official update comes along that breaks everything you can roll back or switch.
-ImportBoy
Over 700 Saturn Games Available - Downloads, Information, & How To Guides
http://www.sega-saturn.us - kaneda@sega-saturn.us