Emu Talk Goes Here
Geshmaal
8-bit

Saturn Emulation

by Geshmaal Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:06 pm

Ok, so first I'll give you my story. Recently I've rediscovered some Playstation games from my youth, and since then I've been doing a lot of retro gaming, mostly on emulators due to restrictions money wise. The console that's interested me most is the Sega Saturn, with its strange hardware design and a game library that is a budding retro-er's wet dream. However, I lack the funds to commit myself to buying a console and games for it, or even buying one and modding it to play burned ISO files. However, I would like to try some Saturn games, such as Radiant Silvergun and Guardian Heroes, which are viewed often as holy grails of their respective genres. If I enjoy them, I'll probably end up getting a Saturn when the oppurtunity arises. Until then, is there a way for me to play a Saturn emulator without owning original copies? If so, could someone explain to me how to set it up or point me to a guide? In exchange, I'm willing to help anyone with questions regarding emulation on a PSP, as I've tried pretty much everything there is, even though my PSP's d-pad is broken at the moment... Thanks to anyone who can help me in advance! And also: FIRST POST!
vlame
Next-Gen

Re: Saturn Emulation

by vlame Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:22 pm

Geshmaal wrote:Ok, so first I'll give you my story. Recently I've rediscovered some Playstation games from my youth, and since then I've been doing a lot of retro gaming, mostly on emulators due to restrictions money wise. The console that's interested me most is the Sega Saturn, with its strange hardware design and a game library that is a budding retro-er's wet dream. However, I lack the funds to commit myself to buying a console and games for it, or even buying one and modding it to play burned ISO files. However, I would like to try some Saturn games, such as Radiant Silvergun and Guardian Heroes, which are viewed often as holy grails of their respective genres. If I enjoy them, I'll probably end up getting a Saturn when the oppurtunity arises. Until then, is there a way for me to play a Saturn emulator without owning original copies? If so, could someone explain to me how to set it up or point me to a guide? In exchange, I'm willing to help anyone with questions regarding emulation on a PSP, as I've tried pretty much everything there is, even though my PSP's d-pad is broken at the moment... Thanks to anyone who can help me in advance! And also: FIRST POST!
http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?t=50918
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
Geshmaal
8-bit

by Geshmaal Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:40 am

Thanks for the link that basically answered all of my questions, but a few more have come up when trying that method. Daemontools isn't recognising the Guardian Heroes .bin file. The person in that thread recommended changing it to a .iso, but after doing that, WinRAR won't open it to change the settings, and the game won't run from just being a .iso. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this? Or should I just give up and cry now?
vlame
Next-Gen

by vlame Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:42 am

Geshmaal wrote:Thanks for the link that basically answered all of my questions, but a few more have come up when trying that method. Daemontools isn't recognising the Guardian Heroes .bin file. The person in that thread recommended changing it to a .iso, but after doing that, WinRAR won't open it to change the settings, and the game won't run from just being a .iso. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this? Or should I just give up and cry now?
winrar isn't meant to open iso images files, i dont have a clue why it's associated wit .iso.
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
Geshmaal
8-bit

by Geshmaal Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:50 am

It's what the guy on that thread said to do. Do you have any idea how I can get Daemontools to pick up the .bin file? Or is the give up and cry thing becoming reality?
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

by Curlypaul Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:16 am

Shouldnt Daemon be trying to load the cue sheet rather that the bin file?
Geshmaal
8-bit

by Geshmaal Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:49 am

I changed to trying to load the .cue, and it was acting like the game was an audio CD. I've tried Radiant Silvergun now too, and had even less success. I've read somewhere that I need 3 dll files, wnaspi32.dll, msvcr70.dll, and msvcp70.dll. Also, I need to convert the audio for RS. There really needs to be some universal method of Saturn emulation that's somewhere near the simplicity of SNES, NES, N64 etc. Even something like Chankast (DC) would do!
Geshmaal
8-bit

by Geshmaal Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:07 pm

Finally! After much searching and trial and error, I've got RS working! It's way harder than Ikaruga, but I love the weapon system. Now to work out a way to use each weapon to its maximum potential... Thanks for the help :)
Return to Emulation