umpc and emulation? Eee PC, Cloudbook, etc.

Emu Talk Goes Here
rscaramelo
8-bit

umpc and emulation? Eee PC, Cloudbook, etc.

Post by rscaramelo »

Does anybody here use a UMPC like the Asus Eee PC for emulation? It's a linux based system although it can do XP and will be sold with XP fairly soon? Just wondering since I may be buying one soon.

RC
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I almost bought one, but picked up a used Thinkpad X40 instead :)
ImportBoy
64-bit

Post by ImportBoy »

I have an EEE PC ($399 model). I removed Linux and installed XP Professional. I have a bunch of arcade, genesis, nintendo, and other emulators on it. I have not used it to much but they seem to work great.

Apparently it will be sold with XP pre-installed soon, but who knows how much space will actually be left on the small drive. I used XPLite to strip XP down - install size is just over 1GB with SP2, all updates, IE7, WMP11, .Net Framework 2.0, and more.
-ImportBoy
Over 700 Saturn Games Available - Downloads, Information, & How To Guides
http://www.sega-saturn.us - kaneda@sega-saturn.us
pixelbender
24-bit

Post by pixelbender »

I have the $350 white EEE (actually need to sell it since I'm getting married, PM me if anyone's interested).

I tried the default Xandros operating system, but have XP on it right now, I just couldn't get DOSBOX working under Linux. I have DOSBOX and some emulator on it and it is AWESOME! I was going to buy RetroUSB cables for my Saturn controller and have a sick USB controller for it, just haven't gotten around to that part yet. All in all, its a sick machine.
rscaramelo
8-bit

Post by rscaramelo »

I got the Eee PC 4gb/non-surf. I'm a complete noob on linux. I know there's emulators but I don't have a clue on how to install and run these files. Can anyone help me a bit? I am leaning towards putting XP on this thing. I could also use some advice on those shrunken XP's too.

thanks

RC