Emu Talk Goes Here
HeavyMetalMe
128-bit

Controller Convertor for MAME OS X

by HeavyMetalMe Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:42 pm

Okay, so I picked up this cheap $10 controller convertor that allows you to use PSX/GC/XBOX controllers on your computer. I'm running OS X, and when I plugged it in, I was able to set it up for Snes9x. Works great with a GC controller, which I prefer. Now on to MAME OS X. Doesn't work. I downloaded Gamepad Companion and Controller Mate. Both recognize it and all of its buttons, but how the hell do I get it to work with MAME OS X now? Any help would be appreciated.
High-Brow Gag & Pure Shooting
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

by Doctor Fugue Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:48 pm

I was having a similar problem just a couple days ago in a different thread. Not sure if you read it, but I couldn't figure it out.

It seems that MAME OS X overrides any other drivers or something. It chooses to recognize some controllers strangely. My Xbox 360 controller works, but not all the buttons.

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5438
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
Niode
Next-Gen

by Niode Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:57 am

Here's how I got mine to work.

Unplug the controller. Close all applications using the controller. Reboot. Make sure no apps are using the controller. (option+command+esc). Plug the controller in. Wait a few seconds. Run MAME OS X. Run your game. Press tab, scroll down to control (this game) select the button you want to map, press enter, wait a second, press the button you want on your controller, it should recognise it.

MAME OS X is a sod, It seems to override all controllers on your machine. If you have another controller app running it basically throws the towel in and sulks with you. It's quite a fickle piece of software :P. It took me a few goes at unplugging then plugging it back in, a little bit of black magic and then it just worked...
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
HeavyMetalMe
128-bit

by HeavyMetalMe Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:35 pm

devilmyarse wrote:Here's how I got mine to work.

Unplug the controller. Close all applications using the controller. Reboot. Make sure no apps are using the controller. (option+command+esc). Plug the controller in. Wait a few seconds. Run MAME OS X. Run your game. Press tab, scroll down to control (this game) select the button you want to map, press enter, wait a second, press the button you want on your controller, it should recognise it.

MAME OS X is a sod, It seems to override all controllers on your machine. If you have another controller app running it basically throws the towel in and sulks with you. It's quite a fickle piece of software :P. It took me a few goes at unplugging then plugging it back in, a little bit of black magic and then it just worked...

Yeah, I'm an idiot. I had no idea I could set the controls though that tab menu. Thanks! Got it to work wonderfully. I have another question that you may be familiar with: I have one of these little adapter that sends a video screen to my TV, so all I have to do is drag whatever over to the other screen and I'm in business. Do you know how I can full screen MOSX on my TV? Every time I set it to full screen, it just does it on my laptops screen.. thanks!
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

by Doctor Fugue Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:59 pm

I think I've given up after trying many times. MAME OS X chooses not to recognize any drivers or re-mappers and it also refuses to recognize the triggers. I push enter to assign them, wait, push the buttons and...nothing. It is as if the buttons are broken, although they work perfectly on the 360. All I want is some SFII'Rainbow action with a proper stick.
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
skate323k137
Next-Gen

by skate323k137 Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:31 pm

are there two other buttons aside from the main 6-block, that will register in mame? (preferrably not including the start button.)

and are you willing to open that bad boy up? depending on how its built, a mod would probably be very simple to bridge a couple buttons and install switches on the bridge wires if you must. especially if you sent me pics of the inside.
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

by Doctor Fugue Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:43 pm

skate323k137 wrote:are there two other buttons aside from the main 6-block, that will register in mame? (preferrably not including the start button.)

and are you willing to open that bad boy up? depending on how its built, a mod would probably be very simple to bridge a couple buttons and install switches on the bridge wires if you must. especially if you sent me pics of the inside.

Yeah, there are the two bumper buttons, but they are way out of normal reach near the start and back buttons.

Thanks for the offer to help me mod it, I'm just too chicken to open it up. The stick itself has seen a lot of use for the past couple of years so I think I'm due for a new one anyway! Arcade-in-a-box will be releasing slightly smaller sticks soon with better ergonomics and I think I'd like to get one of those...with all Sanwa parts and some custom art too. Expensive, but worth it to people like me who want quality but are too scared or lazy to make their own. http://www.arcadeinabox.com/Scripts/default.asp

I'll just leave this stick hooked up to the 360 for Ikaruga next week on XBLA!
Niode
Next-Gen

by Niode Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:11 pm

HeavyMetalMe wrote:

Yeah, I'm an idiot. I had no idea I could set the controls though that tab menu. Thanks! Got it to work wonderfully. I have another question that you may be familiar with: I have one of these little adapter that sends a video screen to my TV, so all I have to do is drag whatever over to the other screen and I'm in business. Do you know how I can full screen MOSX on my TV? Every time I set it to full screen, it just does it on my laptops screen.. thanks!

It's a bit of quirk. I recently had the problem with VLC not wanting to full screen on my 2nd screen. When I updated to the latest version I was able to do it. So I'm pretty sure that the App has to support it itself. However have a look on Mac OS X Hints. Chances are somebody has noticed it and figured out a fix.

Personally I don't use the feature enough to warrant chasing down a solution I'm afraid. All I need is VLC to work like that and that's it. If you find out a solution send me a PM i'd love to know it in future :)

BTW you using Leopard or Tiger?
HeavyMetalMe
128-bit

by HeavyMetalMe Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:36 pm

devilmyarse wrote:
HeavyMetalMe wrote:

It's a bit of quirk. I recently had the problem with VLC not wanting to full screen on my 2nd screen. When I updated to the latest version I was able to do it. So I'm pretty sure that the App has to support it itself. However have a look on Mac OS X Hints. Chances are somebody has noticed it and figured out a fix.

Personally I don't use the feature enough to warrant chasing down a solution I'm afraid. All I need is VLC to work like that and that's it. If you find out a solution send me a PM i'd love to know it in future :)

BTW you using Leopard or Tiger?

Leopard. I was about to mention VLC in my last post. I got it to work, but when you pull the screen over, you need to make sure that the Controller/Playlist window is over on your TV with it.
Niode
Next-Gen

by Niode Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:30 am

Ahh that would make sense! Thanks for that!

What you running on? I have a Macbook Pro core 2 duo 2.33ghz with 3GB ram.
Return to Emulation