Emu Talk Goes Here
JJJ
24-bit

by JJJ Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:33 pm

Ok, I've got some emulators installed. A port of NesterJ seems to be the most advanced NES emu for PSP. Would you like me to write something on it racket? Any specific games I should try? So far I just tried a few I had lying around, Ninja Gaiden and Journey to Silius. Both seemed to play 100%.

More interestingly (for me anyway!), I installed a GBA emulator and was pleasantly surprised that it seems 100% as well! Aria of Sorrow ran great, as did Ninja Five-O. I'm really impressed by that - turning my PSP into a useable GBA is an amazing thing.

Next I want to install Einhander (PS1 - alltime fav of mine) and some Genesis emulator.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:11 pm

Awesome!
Yeah, if you could put together an NES one to start out, that would be incredible. If you could try to cover the same type of stuff I just discussed in my DS one, that would be the best. You may want to try out the same games I used: Super Mario Bros 3, Battletoads, and Kirby. That way we have some good comparisons.

Are you able to record any video?
JJJ
24-bit

by JJJ Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:44 pm

Sure, I can try those games. I can record video with my Macbook built-in webcam, but it will be kinda awkward. I'm not sure what format it comes out in though - and I've never uploaded any video to youtube.

I just tried a Genesis emulator (Picodrive). Not as good as I hoped. It runs at near-full speed if you use the 'fast' renderer - but that is horribly glitchy with any games that use raster effects (read: nearly all the good ones). The 'accurate' renderer is pretty slow, games running at around half speed.

Also I loaded Einhander. All seems well, except the screen scaling. If you don't mind the PS1 4:3 screen stretched to widescreen its fine, but if you prefer to keep the 4:3 aspect - there is a mode for that but it looks ugly and doesn't stretch to the full vertical height.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:48 pm

Recording would be a bit awkward with a Webcam, huh? You don't have a digital camera that does video? That's what I use.
But if you can't, that's not a huge deal, maybe I can find an existing one on YouTube.

If you can focus on the NES for now, that would be good since I'd like it to go along with our Kid Icarus :)
I'm going a GP2X one right now....
JJJ
24-bit

by JJJ Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:12 pm

Duh! Yes, I've got a digital camera, just haven't used it for video in awhile. It outputs mpg.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:20 pm

JJJ wrote:Duh! Yes, I've got a digital camera, just haven't used it for video in awhile. It outputs mpg.

That's cool :)
If you want to send me the video file directly, that's fine.
JJJ
24-bit

by JJJ Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:25 am

Alrighty then. Give me the weekend to finish the text and video :D
JJJ
24-bit

by JJJ Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:33 am

Sorry about the delay on this. I've written the text, got to do some video tomorrow. I'll include a few more games, Akumajou Densetsu and a few others.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:24 am

That's cool. I'm booked on blog posts for the next week or two anyway.
Just let me know when you're ready :)
Return to Emulation