Boom PSX/N64 USB Adapter

Emu Talk Goes Here
andymol21
64-bit

Boom PSX/N64 USB Adapter

Post by andymol21 »

Here is my review of the Boom PSX/N64 adapter.
I've been emulating now for around 5 yeas on my PC and having updated to a new laptop I thought it would be a good idea to update my controller set up at the same time. Up until now i have been using a cheap Logitech Dual Action psx clone that has served me well (i think it's the one Racketboy uses, unless his has rumble!) but i don't like the slightly circular D-Pad and the square analogue sticks! My favourite console of all time is the N64 so most of my emulation goes into that and i wanted a controller to reflect my needs. Having the actual N64 controller plugged in seemed like the perfect way to do it.
I checked out some forums, including here, and found what i was looking for. It was either the adaptoid or this Boom version. I chose the Boom version as i sometimes emulate PSX and SNES games and wanted the flexibility (PSX pad was modelled on SNES pad). I found a seller on eBay who could ship from the UK to France and ordered it for £9.99, which was cheaper than the pad I’m using now!
It arrived today and first impressions weren’t to good. I’ve read a lot about these adaptors and expected the worst. True enough when i took it out of it's disintegrating box the ports were loose and the cable seemed very cheap. I plugged my gray N64 controller into it, plugged it into the USB port on my laptop and it fired up straight away! A quick calibration was all that was needed to start me off on Blast Corps and Perfect Dark. There were no issues like i had been warned about by the seller on eBay and people in forums. I then plugged in my PS2 pad and fired up ePSXe with Metal Gear Solid, again it worked perfectly. No lag, no random button pushing and no dodgy calibration. Only time will tell if it continues to work but so far it has been perfect. All in all I'd absolutely recommend this product if you ever want to do N64 emulation but want the extra functionality of having a PSX adapter too.

PROS:
Quick set up
Works perfectly in all emulators I’ve tried
Works with both N64 and PSX controllers

Cons:
Poor build quality
Its a bit gaudy, blue see through plastic
It's quite big
--=We Do What We Must Because We Can=--

FS/FT Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=24755&p=309811#p309811
marurun

Post by marurun »

So where do we get one of these if we want one of our own?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
nightwalker
64-bit

Post by nightwalker »

Well Ive found this on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :middle:us

And thx andymol for the review made me want and go look for one.
"The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty"
Amarant Coral
vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

$20, wtf, i'd rather make an xbox one and then adapt.
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
Phantom of Krankor

Post by Phantom of Krankor »

Now if only there was a good way to get first party controllers. Goldeneye, Space Station Silicon Valley, and Battle Tanx:Global Assault with less slowdown.
andymol21
64-bit

Post by andymol21 »

marurun wrote:So where do we get one of these if we want one of our own?

I got mine on eBay from a seller called AdapterMan (good name for what he sells!) he's in the UK but is able to ship to all of Europe and Australia. I'd recommend him to anyone.

vlame wrote:$20, wtf, i'd rather make an xbox one and then adapt.

I've never been a fan of the xbox controller. I'm a bit of a Nintendo fanboy and grew up using the N64 so i feel most comfortable using that. If you prefer the xbox one then im sure it'll work fine. But playing Mario Kart or Goldeneye with the proper pad just seems right to me :D . I hook up my laptop to my big TV by a HDMI cable and apart from the graphics actually looking nicer i could be playing a real N64! Thats what I wanted it for and for me it's perfect.
--=We Do What We Must Because We Can=--

FS/FT Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=24755&p=309811#p309811