Who has an Emulation Box Setup They Are Proud of?

Emu Talk Goes Here
racketboy
Site Admin

Who has an Emulation Box Setup They Are Proud of?

Post by racketboy »

So I'm laying down the early groundwork for an overview of modern emulation box setups. (especially ones that have great presentation and ease of use)
(Portables/MAME cabinets might be another guide down the line)

This could be anything from a modded console, a Raspberry Pi, a full PC/Mac, or something like an Android Box.

I already have one guy that I'm talking with that did a nice Android box he's done some customizing on. If anyone else wants to pitch in writing about their setup of choice, it would be awesome.

It doesn't have to be long unless you want it to. For more minimal overviews, it could just be a summary plus a pro and cons list. But if you're really up for writing, a stand-along guide with more detail would be cool (and then we could link to that from the overview guide).

Let me know what you think!
Rydon
24-bit

Re: Who has an Emulation Box Setup They Are Proud of?

Post by Rydon »

racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Ha! That's a great take! I think it's a good representation of how working with a Raspberry Pi gives you lots of options. If you can share on that and how the setup and presentation of the software is as well, that would be great. But we could also link to your thread as an example of what you can do with the hardware instead of just a more pedestrian box. Lemme know if you're up for it :)
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Now does this mean things like a Raspberry Pi set up or a purpose built PC?

I use an Nvidia Shield TV for pretty much all my emulation needs. Not sure if it counts since it prebuilt.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

casterofdreams wrote:Now does this mean things like a Raspberry Pi set up or a purpose built PC?

I use an Nvidia Shield TV for pretty much all my emulation needs. Not sure if it counts since it prebuilt.

Both pre-built stuff and custom build. I want to give a good roundup of potential solutions.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

In that case then the Nvidia Shield TV is a superb little product. It can run a full suite of emulators per the nature of Android.

Retroarch, Reicast (both under Retroarch and stand alone), PPSSPP (same as Reicast) and Dolphin are the four apps I use.

This combination covered a wide selection of consoles and portables in a box no bigger than a DVD case. Memory space is lacking but it supports external storage.

If you need me to I can write up a litttle thing about my experiences with the unit.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

casterofdreams wrote:In that case then the Nvidia Shield TV is a superb little product. It can run a full suite of emulators per the nature of Android.

Retroarch, Reicast (both under Retroarch and stand alone), PPSSPP (same as Reicast) and Dolphin are the four apps I use.

This combination covered a wide selection of consoles and portables in a box no bigger than a DVD case. Memory space is lacking but it supports external storage.

If you need me to I can write up a litttle thing about my experiences with the unit.

That would be awesome :) If there's options for interfaces too, let us know.
Do you use Google Docs at all?
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I do not but it shouldn’t be difficult. I have a google account.

Let me know how I should go about this. What are some of the things you’re looking for? Formatting? Things like that.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Formatting I wouldn’t stress about yet, but I would maybe break some thoughts into sections like (off the top of my head)

Ease of Setup
Ease of Use
Customizing options
Interface Presentation/Options
What range of systems can emulate reliably
Storage Capabilities
Controller options
Advantages
Disadvantages
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Okay. That’s sounds good. I can do a rough draft of those points for you. Give me a week.