Looking for a DS save game reader

Emu Talk Goes Here
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Looking for a DS save game reader

Post by nightrnr »

As the topic states, I am in need of a PC program that identifies DS savegames.
Do any DS emulators have that feature or are there any homebrew programs that specifically manages savegame files and shows what game they are from?

It would make my DS gaming a little more pleasant...
For the curious, I was using a flash card that had a bunch of games on it, did something to the memory card with a different DS flash card, and lost all the files. I was able to recover it somewhat with a program, but nothing is named right, only the file sizes help me any.
...just another lost soul...
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Re: Looking for a DS save game reader

Post by nightrnr »

I guess I'll do the trial and error approach.
Anyone know a good DS emulator for an antiquated PC?
Not looking for something that runs the games amazing, just lowest specs needed and easy to use.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Which card? There are at least 3 formats - Acekard, EZ Flash V, and RAW that I know of. I usually only deal with saves through hex editing, tho I think I could figure out what game the saves are from manually (I seem to recall that at least one format has an icon file embedded?), I also think that I can find or build a simple automated process to take all the suitable-sized files and extract the game's internal name - I recall every format has at least the rom's internal name when I looked at them at hex address 3.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Well, I originally used an R4 clone of some kind (bricked that one trying to update, a shame as I liked that cart).
The 2nd card was a TTDT, which seemed to accept the same loading programs (after inital firmware files were in place).

The 3rd card the made it go haywire is an ace3DS plus, I think. Tried to leave the DS games and homebrew on the card and just updated the loading programs/firmware. I think all was good with the DS games, but it flipped out when I tried some emulators, for some reason, and that's when the whole flash card became unreadable. (I think I used one of the older loaders I was used to, which it apparently didn't like).

I had at least a couple dozen saves on there (that I care about, Etrian Odyssey comes to mind), and I could narrow it down by size. Not even sure if I'm going to mess with my homebrew saves.
But are you saying a DS emulator on PC would may not recognize the saves anyways? I think all 3 cards used the same save format.

I wouldn't write a program just for lil' ole me :wink: , but I think it could be a helpful tool for the community as a whole (put it on romhacking dot net, or something).
But I could look at all the files (of suitable size) with a hex editor, that's a good idea.
"Advanscene" documents the save size in Kbits for every game, so I wouldn't go in completely blind.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I'd suggest you get your files off your flash memory above all else.
The most common and accessible is Recuva - it works well. If it fails, there are certainly others that can try other methods as long as your card is readable in some way.
The results of this scan should provide some save-file sized files -16KB to 512Kb (those biggest ones are almost certainly pokemon, tho if you're playing JRPGS, they could be other...)
These files are hopefully useful simply being renamed .SAV in most any flashcart- especially if they're similar sized to some newly made saves of a new flashcart, replacing those saved game files via trial and error will usually achieve success.
If however you are stumped, I'll take a boo at a zip/rar file of your recovered sub-512k data, try to run it through the usual save converters and try the results against a list of the games you guess they might be. Just PM me in that case - I expect it'll take me a few moments if you provide full details. We can then post the result online for a netizen who has had a similar mishap and had google direct that person here..
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Oh, the files are off and on saved on HDD. I nuked the card and have it prepped more specially for the new flash cart (if it betrays me again, I shall do great and terrible things to it... then again, what if the sd card is to blame?...).

I might not get to experimenting until Sunday night though (damn work and sleep always get in the way of my gaming mad science).

Games are backed up on a different drive anyways, so nothing major lost there. I just wanted a few key saves back.
I rechecked and my recover program kind of half named most of the emulated roms (NES, Game Boy, Genesis, SNES); like in old DOS format (8.3 characters with ~ signs). I think I had a few DOS games on there too, but I'll have to start over there... too many files. Dosbox on DS was a little limited anyways, but good for EOB 1 and 2.

I'll keep you guys posted...