Looking for a handheld emulation Device

Emu Talk Goes Here
SpikeSlania
24-bit

Looking for a handheld emulation Device

Post by SpikeSlania »

I was originally going to hijack that older PSP for emulation thread, but figured it would be easier just to start fresh :P I am currently looking for a handheld device for retro emulation. The older thread was mainly about PSP/Vita compared to Android. I do have a PSTV that collects dust pretty well, and if I get a PSP I will end up buying PSP games instead of modding it cause that's just me :P I would finally be able to add the physical copies of the psp Ys games and Castlevania into my collection! Then Android wouldn't work for what I want to use it for. Mainly I'm looking for something to play retro games while laying in bed, and something durable enough to survive hitting me in the face when I pass out :P So what I'm looking for is something that I can play and hold the screen with my 2 hands, be able to run emulators for Sega Master, Genesis, Game Gear, NES, SNES, GB, and GBC. I mean if Sega CD and Turbo CD emulation is good enough to run on it, would be a nice bonus that and homebrew dos games like Commander Keen and Jazz Jackrabbit would also be a nice bonus. I just know nothing of the homebrew scene other then Commander Keen is on Wii homebrew :P So looking for any suggestions/leads that could lead me in the right direction. Only ideas I had was trying to find someone that sells raspberry pi projects in like a GBA replicated case or something. Since I don't plan on traveling with it and mainly just plan on using while laying down or while waiting on my car being worked on or something, 4 hour battery life is good enough for me :P But I do need back lighting. Thanks for taking the time to read this
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Looking for a handheld emulation Device

Post by samsonlonghair »

So you want a retro handheld device, but you don’t want a psp or Vita, right?

You mentioned retro pie handhelds. I’ve seen kits called Freeplay that aim to cram a raspberry pi into a gba shell. Looks like there’s a lot of caveats. For instance, you need to modify the gba shell yourself with razor blades and files. It’s not exactly cheap either. The kit doesn’t always include everything you need. Some versions you have to buy your own battery. Some kits you have to buy your own raspberry pi. Every version you have to bring your own gba.

I would look into android handhelds with real buttons. The top dog here is probably the GPD XD by GamePark. They’re (more or less) the same company that released the GP32 and the GPWiz.

There’s also the JXD line of handhelds. They vary in price and screen size. They’re all made in China. I’ve heard some less-than-perfect reviews.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

Why wouldn’t an android work? Are you worried it’s not durable enough to survive hitting you in the face? Is your face on fire? If not, I think even a phone will survive.

I had a Galaxy S4 with a moga pro and it was a great emulator. Had 64, psp, Genesis, 2600, NES and psx emulators running on it.

The only reason I don’t use it is that I always get decision overload with emulators and it turns me off playing them. I’m more a stick the original cartridge in the system guy. But as for its performance I never had any complaints.
SpikeSlania
24-bit

Post by SpikeSlania »

ESauced wrote:Why wouldn’t an android work? Are you worried it’s not durable enough to survive hitting you in the face? Is your face on fire? If not, I think even a phone will survive.

I had a Galaxy S4 with a moga pro and it was a great emulator. Had 64, psp, Genesis, 2600, NES and psx emulators running on it.

The only reason I don’t use it is that I always get decision overload with emulators and it turns me off playing them. I’m more a stick the original cartridge in the system guy. But as for its performance I never had any complaints.

Well, more should say Android phones wouldn't work. Because I plan on laying down on my back and don't plan on using touch controls or a blue tooth controller since I will be holding up the device with my hands :P I haven't attempted to master playing a game one handed yet :P

samsonlonghair wrote:So you want a retro handheld device, but you don’t want a psp or Vita, right?

You mentioned retro pie handhelds. I’ve seen kits called Freeplay that aim to cram a raspberry pi into a gba shell. Looks like there’s a lot of caveats. For instance, you need to modify the gba shell yourself with razor blades and files. It’s not exactly cheap either. The kit doesn’t always include everything you need. Some versions you have to buy your own battery. Some kits you have to buy your own raspberry pi. Every version you have to bring your own gba.

I would look into android handhelds with real buttons. The top dog here is probably the GPD XD by GamePark. They’re (more or less) the same company that released the GP32 and the GPWiz.

There’s also the JXD line of handhelds. They vary in price and screen size. They’re all made in China. I’ve heard some less-than-perfect reviews.

Vita is more because I have bought 2 already and traded them back in and now I'm on a pstv. So buying a 4th one would be asking wtf am I doing throwing money away constantly :P PSP I wouldn't mind getting another one, but I would end up getting legit games for it and they often require firmware updates to run and come with the updates on the disc. So unless the emulation community made it so emulators can run on any firmware verison of the psp, I would end up screwing myself out of a emulation device :P But I am going to take a look into the GamePark handhelds.

Edit: I did find something that interests me that I'm thinking about ordering once my paycheck hits my bank account Friday. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B4DH2QQ/re ... rd_w=nFjeR
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Freeplay CM3:
https://www.freeplaytech.com/product/fr ... 3-diy-kit/
Samson mentioned it. It is a raspberry pi 3 in a GBA shell. One of my coworkers has one and it is the way to go. All the benefits of a pi and portable.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

I’m not trying to push it but the moga pro has a dock for the phone so you can play it one handed.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

So... I've never held it upside down, but I have a similar $20 bluetooth controller and it works fine with Android emu.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5