Anyone use RetroPie here?

Emu Talk Goes Here
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Anyone use RetroPie here?

Post by SuperDerpBro »

I had a spare Pi3 laying around that didn't have a job to do. Always wanted to try RetroPi but my Pi's were always doing other things. So today i tried. Followed the official install guide. Put Mario 3 and World on it. I got the the PLAY part of the guide and... Pretty noticeable input lag on both games and Mario World runs at 58 FPS (Only setting i changed was to to show FPS). How do so many people play on these? heh

No heat sink on the chips.. throttling? Still, that input lag tho..
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Re: Anyone use RetroPie here?

Post by sevin0seven »

I have messed around with Retropie before. Its a hit and miss with the games running on the provided emulators; but I'm surprised your having input lag with those said games. All the games I tried so far seems to run fine; except for Star Fox 2 for the SNES (laggy). The PSP and N64 emulators are the ones I'm having lots of compatibility issues with (haven't tried the Dreamcast yet). You could try to (ahem) overclock your Pi3 if you choose to; it helps with the performance. But doing so can kill your Pi's life especially if you don't have a heat sink installed. Right now i'm running with a stable over clock setting with these numbers:

arm_freq=1250
gpu_freq=500
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=500
sdram_schmoo=0x02000020
over_voltage=2
sdram_over_voltage=2
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

sevin0seven wrote:but I'm surprised your having input lag with those said games.

Even if your game is running perfect you can have input lag. Just in case you dont know.. it is the time it takes between pressing a button and having the action represented on screen. I have tried about 35 games now. The input lag is pretty bad. It is a proven and known thing for RetroPie. I'm honestly surprised you are surprised hehe. Input lag on RetroPie is about 6 frames for NES and 7-8 frames for SNES (100-133 ms!!). I thought it might be OK since so many people use it.. but now im just wondering how they use it. LOL.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

C’mon dude, of course seven knows what input lag means. He’s a street fighter fan. Anyone who plays fast-paced arcade fighting games is familiar with the concept of input lag.

On a more helpful note, github has a page dedicated to reducing input lag on your retropie.
https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Input-Lag

Hope this helps. Peace!
Old Gregg

Post by Old Gregg »

I'm not sure if running an emulator on such a thing as this is feasible, though it would be interesting.

https://lifehacker.com/link-multiple-raspberry-pis-together-for-a-souped-up-di-1761556292

Could it help the lag you speak of... or would it make it worse?
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

samsonlonghair wrote:C’mon dude, of course seven knows what input lag means. He’s a street fighter fan. Anyone who plays fast-paced arcade fighting games is familiar with the concept of input lag.

On a more helpful note, github has a page dedicated to reducing input lag on your retropie.
https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Input-Lag

Hope this helps. Peace!

C’mon dude, how is anyone supposed to know what a person does or does not know about input lag (or anything) based on an avatar (of someone i don't know) on a forum? Better to make it clear.

I have tried those and there is still too much lag. Using RetroArch with hardsync on PC has made RetroPie unplayable to me i guess. Good thing i didn't buy the NESPi case, with the goal of dedicating this Pi to games, before testing :D
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Alright, fair enough dude. :lol:

I’m not a big fan of raspberry pi, myself. I think you’re better off using an old PC or laptop (or even an old netbook) for a dedicated emulation platform.

I tried looking into a project called “Lakka” for a snazzy dedicated emulator box, but I haven’t had a bit of success setting it up yet.

For now, the best option remains windows. That might seem plain Jane, or noobish. If I’m being strictly pragmatic, I would say that windows runs retro emulators with less fuss than any other platform.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

:D :D

I do have an ultra small form factor (i5 forget the number) PC that i use Retroarch and Launch box on. It's about the size of a PS3 slim. Runs everything up to simple GC PS2 and Wii. Even with no GPU. But the Pi is so dang tiny! Wanted to make a little NES for fun and maybe gift to my brother.

Lakka looks great.. there is also Batocera. But yes, Would rather have Windows behind a front end so i can mess with it if i have to. :P
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

samsonlonghair wrote:C’mon dude, of course seven knows what input lag means. He’s a street fighter fan. Anyone who plays fast-paced arcade fighting games is familiar with the concept of input lag.

:lol:

SuperDerpBro wrote:Even if your game is running perfect you can have input lag. Just in case you dont know.. it is the time it takes between pressing a button and having the action represented on screen. I have tried about 35 games now. The input lag is pretty bad. It is a proven and known thing for RetroPie. I'm honestly surprised you are surprised hehe. Input lag on RetroPie is about 6 frames for NES and 7-8 frames for SNES (100-133 ms!!). I thought it might be OK since so many people use it.. but now im just wondering how they use it. LOL.

Question; are you using a bluetooth controller device?

I'm using a usb (official) sega saturn controller pad. I think I read somewhere a blue tooth controller could have a play with those extra timing input.

I also read that some Lakka emulation are better than retropie. So you can definitely try that latter.
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Using one of these

I have an official USB Saturn pad and an iBuffalo SNES pad to try but i really doubt its the pad.

It's just way to laggy after playing on a PC with Hard Sync on. :/