Emu Talk Goes Here
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: What Emulators Are You Using - 2018?

by Jagosaurus Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:26 am

Bushes are brought up fairly often as looking better on original hardware & CRTs. Essentially the devs had the scanlines and 240p in mind when they created that foliage look. Emus definitely round them out. I can see this being true for several other similar sprites. I see the trade off there.

I still have my family NES from 1988. It's not going anywhere :) but I'm going to lean on emu more and more as time goes on. I need to do some work on my NES to get it up and running but my backup works (well she is temperamental :P ). Hoping my original doesn't need new caps... :(

I'm not abandoning the real deal completely but... original hardware failing, prices of XRGB/OSSC/10+ SCART cables/adapters, prevalence of LCDs, cost of games, save states (for time sake vs difficulty), emu improving overall, & taking up less real estate in the house have all gradually pushed me to emu over the past 18 months or so.

I'll always have a soft spot for the real hardware. I'm about to drop $85 to get HDMI out of my DC :lol:

I also see it as future proofing my set up in a way. I have all the .exes, roms, isos, etc all backed up. If my emu PC died for good, I could spend $150 and have 15+ systems up and running quickly.

Worth noting the no noticeable lag with the Buffalo SNES controller really helped. Before I could always tell there was just a hair of lag & I couldn't handle it outside of RPGs. Now I can emu tight platformers with no control issues. Hoping the new Sega USB controllers are similar but not counting on it.
chuckster
32-bit

by chuckster Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:42 pm

I've gotta say, the more I become attached to original hardware, the more I emulate. They are in no way exclusive in my mind and I embrace anything that makes retro gaming easier or expands the capabilities of old games.
SpikeSlania
16-bit

by SpikeSlania Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:21 pm

Emulation is probably also the only way I will ever be able to play games like Snatcher, Panzer Dragoon Saga, and Neo Turf Masters. Well, we could probably list most of the Neo Geo games with Neo Turf Masters :P I mean Panzer Dragoon Saga is a maybe if I see a deal that I couldn't refuse, but I don't see me spending $400 on a game unless it's Steel Battalion with its controller. Now we just need emulation to figure out how to do Steel Battalion :P
SuperDerpBro
64-bit

by SuperDerpBro Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:03 am

RetroArch + Fave Core + CRT-EasyMode Shader + RetroAchievements.org = Win :D
But enough talk! Have at you!
funk_Farmer
8-bit

by funk_Farmer Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:00 am

RetroArch is amazingly beautiful if a person takes the time and effort to get it set up properly. I recently switched over from OSX on my iMac to Ubuntu and have been playing around with RetroArch. I use it for snes emulation but I went back to Kega Fusion for all my Sega needs. Kega is probably my favorite emulator. Great video options and stuff.

The Wii is my usual go to device for emulation. Genesis Plus, Snes 9x, both work pretty much perfectly. Genesis Plus covers everything, SMS, GG, Sega CD, it all works great. I would definitely recommend softmodding a Wii for retro needs but it hits a wall when it comes to MAME, PSX, and to my disappointment it can't emulate N64 worth a crap. It helps that a person can get 64 games using the Virtual Console but the selection is pretty limited. I've been eyeballing a RetroPi mainly for MAME but I don't know when I'll dive into that.

Emulation nowadays pretty much makes everything look better by default. I was blown away how good N64 games look. They just look sharp, crisp, vibrant. I tried a couple texture and graphics mods for Banjo Kazooie and the two Zelda games but I wasn't that into it. They already look good enough without all that stuff. Definitely some great work went into those texture packs though. PSX emulation is another thing altogether. A lot of the graphics plugins available for emus like pcsx are just amazing. They can be applied to pretty much every game and with enough messing around a person can get some crazy good results. PSX emulation is worth checking out just for the plugins alone. I love original graphics but I'm not a purist. Not every game benefits graphically from emulation but there's a lot that do.
marlowe221
Next-Gen

by marlowe221 Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:02 pm

I have used emulators on and of for years now. Once I started expanding my collection of original carts, I used emulation on my PC as a way to test games - I didn't want to spend my limited retro game budget on a game that I would never want to actually play.

But at this point, I am finding that maintaining old hardware is becoming more and more of a chore. Lately, my 7800 has developed an odd controller issue that is most likely caused by a cold solder joint that needs to be reflowed. As simple as that repair is, my desire to actually take the console apart and reflow the joint (which might not even be the problem) is pretty low.

I just want to play the damn games!

The idea of a Pi set up is pretty appealing. But what about input lag and/or display lag on a modern screen? Is that an issue on the Pi 3?
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:21 am

Lag is going to depend on the TV itself and the controller from my emulator experience.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:40 am

Emulators can introduce that lag, too. I don't know how it is on the Pi, but with the SNES Classic, the default emulator has lower input lag that Retroarch. The TV is usually the biggest chunk, though; if you've got a Game Mode, use it. On my TV, it drops the lag from an unconscionable 118.1 ms to 26.5 ms.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:16 pm

I'd love to get a PVM.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:40 pm

Xeogred wrote:I'd love to get a PVM.

You and me both. My old 27' Trinitron was great when I found it, but now I want to scale down to something that fits on a bookshelf.
Return to Emulation