Emu Talk Goes Here
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: What Emulators Are You Using - 2018?

by Tanooki Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:46 pm

4DO is a sourceforge project that took off from using the disused dead FreeDO project so aren't they kind of one in the same. Looking at the compatibility list of 4DO basically all legit games work, maybe 5% of them have bugs but nothing that breaks anything to ruin the experience.

I never followed the stuff before since I never had a 3DO so I started digging a bit. It seems to me using the newest project of the 2 using the same base emulator code would have the better results wouldn't it?
chuckster
32-bit

by chuckster Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:10 pm

This is timely since I just got a Pi3 for Christmas and have been checking out emulation on there, with the eventual goal of making it a cheap 240p emulation box.

As much as I've been pursuing original hardware these last couple of years, when I did emulate I used a modded Wii. I used standalone emulators (SNES9x GX and Gens Plus GX, etc.) for NES, TG16, SNES and Genesis and it has worked wonderfully for those systems. For N64, I used the virtual console for very good versions of most of the first-party games I cared about. This also has the advantage of perfect (or near-perfect) Gamecube and Wii playback, with the ability to play backups through Homebrew.

The reason I wanted a Pi is for PS1. Wii just isn't up to it and through Lakka, PCSX RE-Armed provides a very playable experience for most mainstream titles (all I've tried with it).

That brings me to the basis of Lakka, Retroarch.

Retroarch may not be the best in all areas, but it provides a great solution for most consoles. The PC version is really great, with cores for dozens of machines that range from decent options to some of the best, (mostly the latter for major systems like SNES and Genesis). The interface is basically the XMB from PSP and PS3, and for the last few years it has become more and more user friendly. I'm currently having trouble out of the Pi release with a few less well-known systems (PCE-CD, PC98, and X68k), but I've not had any issues on the desktop. It's not the flashiest, but it is a great all-in-one solution for mainstream systems ranging from the 2600 to the N64/Saturn that doesn't require much in the way of setup.

I usually emulate on a 240p CRT, but if you are using a flat-panel, the shader support in RA and the ease of use it offers is really a game changer as well, if that's your bag.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:08 pm

@Tanooki, I've never got anything working outside of FreeDO. I think 4DO gave me DirectX errors and/or not loading isos. I didn't know there was some newer options. On FreeDO I've tried 3 or 4 games, and they've all ran fine.

Regarding the Pi setups, have you guys seen the Odroid? I'm not expert on this scene but looks like a similar device with 2GHz processor versus 1.2GHz (pi3), and 2GB RAM versus 1 GB RAM (pi3). A decent jump for an extra $28.

Some guys on another forum I frequent (a college football forum mainly believe it on not) are using these now. They made the jump from the pi3 to better run N64 & PS1. I have no experience with either device so not sure how the loading of GUI/OS would differ for emulators, if any.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:17 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:Regarding the Pi setups, have you guys seen the Odroid? I'm not expert on this scene but looks like a similar device with 2GHz processor versus 1.2GHz (pi3), and 2GB RAM versus 1 GB RAM (pi3). A decent jump for an extra $28.

Some guys on another forum I frequent (a college football forum mainly believe it on not) are using these now. They made the jump from the pi3 to better run N64 & PS1. I have no experience with either device so not sure how the loading of GUI/OS would differ for emulators, if any.

I hadn't looked at those, though it seems like the company has had offerings on the market for a while (not surprising, as there a variety of similar computers out there). Looking around, it does seem like software support may be a little lacking, which is half of the appeal (I think) of a Pi setup.
Outside of form factor considerations, a used PC is pretty well going to win the performance per dollar angle.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:47 pm

Yeah, my emu PC is a Dell workstation I saved from work. I've actually thought about what I'll do when it bites the dust or when Windows 7 isn't cutting it.

The form factor is the appeal of the Pi to me. It's even smaller than the size of a Roku box, Fire TV, etc. My current Dell Optiplex is 17"x17"x6" :shock: . I wouldn't mind the free space.

I also use the Dell to watch movies off my HDD in my gameroom and should set it up as a Plex server. So at least it's dual purpose.

A newer, but middle of the road PC, used with Windows would run ~$150 from PC Liquidations so there's cost as well (compared to ~$40 for Pi).

So, I get the Pi appeal. Just hasn't been the right timing for me personally with multiple existing options I own. Even then, I'll be tempted to go with another dedicated emu PC once mine dies.

Personally, I'd likely just repurpose an Adroid phone (HDMI to TV) or Android TV to run RetroArch vs the Pi. Buttttt.... part of me wouldn't mind tinkering with a Pi for fun :lol: . The cost of entry is low for a cool toy 8)
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:26 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:A newer, but middle of the road PC, used with Windows would run ~$150 from PC Liquidations so there's cost as well (compared to ~$40 for Pi).

So, I get the Pi appeal. Just hasn't been the right timing for me personally with multiple existing options I own. Even then, I'll be tempted to go with another dedicated emu PC once mine dies.

At this point, a Core2 system can be had for little more than a Pi3 would cost, if any. $150 can get you a half decent Ivy Bridge machine, which is still a solid platform in general (all of my "good" machines at home are that era). Might take a little more knowledge when shopping though, especially compared to buying a Pi3 starter kit on Amazon all day any day for a set price.

Even so, I've had several Pis, and if I want to emulate something in the living room I tend to just use a Pi3 with RetroPie, at least right now. It's great to be able to grab a prebuilt SD card image and have it just work (if you're not super picky I guess). All I mean is that, if I was finding that not up to the task, I would just go straight for PC hardware instead of trying other single board computers.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:58 pm

Sure. Budget PC build for an emulator machine could be a cool dedicated thread.

You can one click ship for about $150, just rough figures. Of course we could piece together a more capable rig for a lower cost with online sales and ebay.

I've watched some really cool videos on YouTube of RetroArch running on Android TV set top boxes. This little box could also be your YouTube, Plex, OTT TV, Netflix, Hulu, etc device. Honestly surprised we haven't seen more of a push for that. Upgrade every couple of years.

Too many potential projects :roll:. Sometimes I have to remind myself to chill out & play the games :D

Still on my list to try SS & DC emu soon. I read SSF comes with some added bloatware and/or spyware these days. I'll be trying Yaba & nullDC.
chuckster
32-bit

by chuckster Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:11 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:@Tanooki, I've never got anything working outside of FreeDO. I think 4DO gave me DirectX errors and/or not loading isos. I didn't know there was some newer options. On FreeDO I've tried 3 or 4 games, and they've all ran fine.

Regarding the Pi setups, have you guys seen the Odroid? I'm not expert on this scene but looks like a similar device with 2GHz processor versus 1.2GHz (pi3), and 2GB RAM versus 1 GB RAM (pi3). A decent jump for an extra $28.

I personally wanted a Pi over the Odroid or Beaglebone because of the community. I knew from modding the Wii that It's not as easy to find non-PC emulator troubleshooting advice and I was worried that BB or Odroid would be worse (they may have identical instructions as the Pi, I don't know). This has already came in handy when I was having trouble setting up PC-Engine CD and PC98 emulation on the Pi. I also had my eye on the RetroTink for high quality analog output and as far as I know it's only been tested with the Pi.

In the end PS1 and MAME were my main concern and they both run fine for what I want to play, and much better than the Wii, so I'm pretty happy. I certainly wouldn't say a Pi is the best option out there but as a fun, portable addition to the setup it has been great so far. I even brought it over to a friend's birthday party last weekend and we had a blast through composite on a small CRT. It was much easier to pack than the Wii as well.

EDIT: I also say a guide to emulation with various machines and emulators would be a very welcome addition to the site, but a bear to research thoroughly and keep up to date.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:39 pm

I was going to start diving into USB controller options by system, which emus support analog sticks, etc. Think it would helpful to start a separate thread for that instead? We could cover some options for each platform emu and keep folks from having to dig through this thread on the emulators themselves.

So far we've brought up the Buffalo SNES pad, the iNext 64 USB controller, & Mayflash USB adpater for Genesis and N64. There are also certain atari emulators that have support for specific adapters and controllers. The Retro Freak controller adapter is recognized by PCs. I think there's a solid dedicated discussion we could tackle. I also want to know which controllers and device to avoid!
SpikeSlania
16-bit

by SpikeSlania Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:31 pm

I always have been original hardware or bust. But now I'm starting to come around to the idea of emulating since I have realized my collection is going to last what? 10-30 more years before cd rot and decay take them :P So I'm looking for a more console approach to emulation. I do have Analogue's snes preordered, so if the unofficial firmware from their nes makes the jump to their snes I will probably be all over that. Also was thinking about buying a Wii and trying to set up the homebrew channel, I'm tempted by their DOS ports that support controller use. I do have 2 pcs with my older xp running magic engine and mednafen with a Mayflash Saturn usb adapter, but haven't touched it since I bought a pc engine duo :P I'm weird like that with running emulator's on pc not holding my attention, but Sega throws a bunch of genesis roms on a ps3 disc, and I'm hooked :P
Return to Emulation