What Emulators Are You Using - 2018?

Emu Talk Goes Here
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

What Emulators Are You Using - 2018?

Post by Jagosaurus »

I thought it would be interesting to see what emulators the community is using. I know I am outdated on some of these such as SNES. Perhaps you'll find a fix in another emulator listed here compared to one that is giving you issues now. You'll see I am still using oXbox for several. The 480p signal over component shakes hands well with my TV and it just works with minimal setup. The controller is usually even pre-mapped. That is one benefit of having an emu made specifically for a console and TVs versus multiple PC graphics cards, different monitor resolutions and inputs, DirectX, etc, etc. I image the modded Wii is nice as well there. As RetroArch and Pi setups seems to gobble up this scene, what are using? Here's my list as of today:

Atari 2600
Primary: EMU7800 - PC
Secondary: z26x oXbox

Atari 7800
Primary: EMU7800 - PC
Secondary: a7800x on oXbox

TG16/PCE
Primary: Magic Engine - PC
Secondary: mednafen_pce – oXbox
TBD regarding TG16/PE CD games. I’m having some woes there. Need to try Ootake and BizHawk

NES
Primary: FCEUX - PC
Secondary: mednafen_nes – oXbox
My TV shows some rippling over VGA with FCEUX on my desktop. Via HDMI it also doesn’t like 4:3 full screen. On my laptop, FCEUX runs beautiful. On oXbox, mednafen looks great on my TV via component in 640x480p.

Sega – SMS/GG/Genesis/MD/32X/Sega CD
Primary: Fusion - PC
Secondary: NeoGenesis oXbox
Man... Fusion is awesome.

GB/GBC/GBC
Primary: oXbox XBoyAdvanced
Secondary: Visual Boy – PC
The original aspect ratio is retained on oXbox when full screen. On PC, it stretches to fit my TV it which I don’t care for. For the life of me, I can't fix that.

SNES
Toss Up: SNES9X - PC, zSNES - PC, zSNES oXbox
Yes, zSNES has a terribly outdated GUI on PC but 9X gives me issues with some games.

Atari Lynx
Toss Up: Handy - PC, mednafen_lynx oXbox

Atari Jaguar
Primary: Virtual Jaguar - PC
I need to look into updated RA cores and Project Pheonix as reportedly compatibility is way up.

Arcade:
MAMEoXtras oXbox
This runs 95% of the 8GB worth of arcade games I’ve DLed with it. MAME seems to be an ever updating mess today. I dig have a working, pre-canned version.

Retro PC
DOSBox - PC
I'd love to get into older PC emus such as Amiga and Atari 8 bit but just haven't had the time.

N64, SS, PSX
I’ve tried a variety of emulators on these with moderate success. I need to get my set up going for these. My modest emu rig won’t handle these too well. Interested to see what you’re using and if it requires a lot of horsepower.

DC, PS2, GCN
I’d like to hear about as well although my PC won't run them currently. Looks like oXbox emu basically doesn't exist.

Other randoms I'm curious about:
N Gage, NGPC, WonderSwan, Virtual Boy

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: What Emulators Are You Using - 2018?

Post by samsonlonghair »

Jagosaurus wrote:Sega – SMS/GG/Genesis/MD/32X/Sega CD
Primary: Fusion - PC
Secondary: NeoGenesis oXbox
Man... Fusion is awesome.

Yes it is! Kega Fusion is practically perfect. As far as I know, Snake hasn't updated Kega Fusion in years, and still nothing tops it!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

NES - fceux-2.2.2-win32
GB - gambatte_qt_win32-r571
SNES - snes9x-1.54-win32
Sega - Fusion363

This might be a good place to ask, but I've noticed that snes9x can be laggy sometimes. Anyone have any ideas? I have 1.54 win32.

My config is:
Output Method - DirectDraw
Emulation Fullscreen
Stretch Image
Maintain Aspect Ratio 8:7
Bilinear Filtering
Vsync
Frame Skipping Automatic (0)
Output Image Processing - None
Hi Res - None
800x600 16bit 60hz (I actually have a 144hz monitor now, I'll have to try that)
Enable Triple Buffering
Transparency Effects
Hi Resolution Support
Blend Hi Res Images

I was loyal to zsnes for over a decade but it was time to move on. :lol:

------

Fusion seems laggy with videos on another monitor too. I guess emulation will always be a little finicky no matter how powerful the PC.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I haven't used that GB emu. Exactly why I wanted to start this thread!

My set up doesn't like Super Mario World on 9x for some reason. I get some weird graphical glitches. Odd. Sure it's some setting or graphics card/monitor issue. It runs plenty of/most other games fine. That leaves me with zSNES which is fine but man... that GUI is circa 1998. Like most others I mentioned for the softmod, zSNES is solid on oXbox.

What issues are you having with fusion? Videos as in FMV CD games or sprite based "cut scenes?"

We mentioned this elsewhere recently but the lead guy behind fusion also wrote the emulators used on the Sony releases for the Sega complications on PS2, PSP, and maybe/assuming PS3. Runs circles around the atgames crew :lol:

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Fusion just gets really laggy in general if I have a video up on another monitor. Meanwhile I can do that playing new games and more demanding things just fine, haha. So I don't know what's up with that. Not a deal breaker but just a frustrating "surely my PC can do this" moment so I imagine the emulator is just being picky.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I don't do much Android emulation, but I will mention what I use. It's generally in conjunction with a controller, can't handle the touchscreen nature for games designed for a pad.

SNES - Generally using SNES9x 1.53 on PC. Mostly SNES9x (fast version) on Android. And another SNES9x variant on PSP, the TYL mecm version.
Genesis / Sega CD - Kega Fusion. Using MD.emu on Android. In addition, I used PicoDrive on PSP in the past.
NES - Nestopia, with NES.emu on Android. NesterJ on PSP.
N64 - I don't actually emulate this much at all. I've typically used Project64 if memory serves.
PSX - I don't emulate this much either, but it's historically been ePSXe, although I've also taken a liking to pSX. I have the paid PCSX port on Android, which is okay, but I hear ePSXe is better there, too.
TG-16/Duo - A mix here. Historically it was Magic Engine (now the DSi version). I've had trouble getting Mednafen on PC to behave, so I basically use Mednafen on Wii or the XBOX. I'll occasionally use Ootake as well.
Game Boy / GBC - This used to be Visual Boy Advance - M, but I've found it to not be good enough in many cases. I don't remember what I used to get Batman to stop resetting/locking up, but I've heard that Gambatte is very accurate.
GBA - VBA-M.
Arcade - MAME, specifically the GUI version.
SMS/GG - Found an emulator called Emulicious that seemed to do a good job with problem games.

That's probably enough for now. :P
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I've found that the CD games not working in Magic Engine is directly attributable to whatever virtual disc software you're using. I can't even get it to see Daemon Tools Pro drives, but it will see the drive for MagicDisc. One quirk with MagicDisc, though, is that it doesn't like the mixed ISO+WAV format images, but will mount BIN/CUE just fine, so give that a go.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Xeogred wrote:Fusion just gets really laggy in general if I have a video up on another monitor.

:lol:

Ok, good to know some others ran into Turbo CD issues with Dameon Tools. I'll look into some of the other methods mentioned.

Anyone messing with Atari ST emu? That's next on my list after Amiga which I dig seeing mentioned above.

Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Interesting. Wonder if something like Alcohol 52% would work.

Still, using the Mednafen core is the best choice. I'd just keep rolling with that.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I know Jag, first world problems... :lol: