Do Any Genesis, SMS, S/NES Games Have Emu Issues?

Emu Talk Goes Here
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Do Any Genesis, SMS, S/NES Games Have Emu Issues?

Post by Jagosaurus »

4 of my most played systems are as the title states:
Genesis
SMS
NES
SNES

Are there any games that will give me issues in PC emulators on these?

I currently use a mixture of retail carts, flash SD ROM carts, real console hardware, clone hardware, & PC emulation.

Sometimes when I find myself using clone hardware with a flash cart... first I laugh at myself... then I often realize the PC emu is just overall easier to get running on a HD screen (XRGB runs about 1/2 the cost of a PC :lol: ), presents a beautiful image, and is very accurate from my experience.

If I made the jump to mostly emulation (for these systems) versus it being roughly 1/2 of my time now... I am concerned I may eventually run into some game snags or quality issues on the 4 systems above. IIRC, some SNES chip games might fail me.

Something to also discuss is controllers on PC. I use a buffalo SNES controller for SNES & NES emu and love it. It feels wrong for Sega titles. Any recs there? Would prefer wired USB.

We'll exclude Sega CD & 32X for this discussion as I don't plan on buying that hardware again so it's a moot point.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Do Any Genesis, SMS, S/NES Games Have Emu Issues?

Post by Jagosaurus »

Thanks to Blu, I now know Retrobit is going to be making official Sega USB controllers. Might solve that! What are you guys using today though.

https://www.hardcoregamer.com/2017/12/1 ... es/284034/

Ack

Post by Ack »

A.S.P. Air Strike Patrol has a funny quirk when emulated: your airplane's shadow isn't properly shown for some reason. It's not anything that will affect gameplay.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Virtua Racing for Genesis requires the emulation of the SVP chip. This is the ONLY genesis game that utilizes such a chip. For this reason, certain emulators cannot emulate Virtua Racing at all. I know for a fact that Kega Fusion can, but other emulators (even some commercial emulators) fail at this task.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

PresidentLeever wrote:Well, none of the Genesis emulators have completely accurate sound (exodus, regen and plus gx are the best) but you might not notice without comparing games back to back with real harware (dustinodellofficial on YT has a bunch of real hardware recorded ost uploads). The dithering heavy games (EWJ1-2, Eternal Champions etc) won't look quite right as they were designed with CRT TVs in mind. Best solution for those is probably retroarch which has a filter that blends dithering patterns without also blurring the image, but it's not very user friendly.

Yeah, I'm already using a LCD so that's present either way for me.

While I didn't want to jump down the subject rabbit hole too much, that is part of the discussion for me. I need to look into a XRGB mini Framemeister or just sink further into emulation. I am leaning towards emulation with 98%+ of games working fine.

For some reason I was thinking some of those SNES chip games did have some issues. Then again I have't leaned too much on SNES emu so I'm probably remembering reading that 9 years ago when I got back into the hobby.

Awesome answers all around. Thanks Ack & Samson.

Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

For SNES, there's Higan https://byuu.org/emulation/higan/
It's damn-near circuit accurate, and I'd be scared to question the author why...

For Genesis, I have heard that Exodus is the best. I've played through many Genesis and SCD games on both early emulators and real hardware. I've never had problems with Kega Fusion, tho I hear that I'm wrong by enjoying it's emulation deficiencies.
Having never had a real SMS, I can't fault any emulator, tho having owned a flashcart which had a YM2413 FM chip on board, I can vouch for KEGA having accurate FM synth filtering, and doing better at emulating the sound than a few official releases of the game at the time. Probably, they've done better by now.

NES emulation issues are not as prevalent as emulation fixes. NES games are horribly badly programed, and by default, the emulators give the option to include those bad bugs in your enjoyment of the game with a few checkmarks. I've had many flash carts with everyone's best attempts to make all the games run.

No matter what, you're better off with even 10 years ago's best emulator. It's so much easier to make your computer or handheld play all the games than the real thing.

Here's an old post from long ago on another forum:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=53973564
It's no longer accurate.

Probably you should build a device that can do Retroarch.
Just like N64 emulation, only many adopters can iron out small bugs and make everything conform to a single standard. All will soon be devoured by it's bland, unintuitive gray non-interface. Console emulation issues? Why not conform to MESS. "You can throw cycles at it with a multi-core CPU and get cycle-accurate emulation!" 10 years later.

Honestly tho, There's a select few issues with a handful of games that would make those few games interfere with you experiencing the game perfectly through your device of choice.

I'm now dealing with some weird emulation quirks that happen during some Sega Genesis games, where they change their video resolution mid-game. With so many better-interfaced emulators, which can properly handle the mode-change while outputting the video to a 15khz RGB screen.

That's my main goal; Making games output through VGA a proper 15Khz signal on old video-cards so the emulation is undetectable output-wise through any old CRT television...
Finding emulators tweaked to deal with those funky display modes is a bit of a challenge. So-far I haven't had to hack or force any program to function with 15kh screen modes, but I will modify these programs if I have to to get the performance and modes that are required...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Well Anapan, I'm not emulating to a CRT but I do prefer VGA out (640x480 most of the time) on my LCD versus DVI/HDMI at HD resolutions. It looks great.

If we're going down the rabbit hole, I do hear certain Sega CD games (and PS1) games can have lip synch issues in cut scenes & music quirkiness. Lunar 1 & 2 come to mind. The only SCD game I've honestly put any time into via emu is Snatcher & it ran just fine. But I sold off my aging Sega CD hardware about 5 years ago & don't plan on going back to it so that's a moot point. Emu or bust there for me.

Thanks for the SNES recs. I've only used SNES9X and zSNES.

I've managed to stay clear of R.A. thus far except running it on Android for NES. I was surprised I got it up so quick. Hear PC is worse. I also have a modest emulation rig that is a Windows 7 box I saved from work. Don't want to try anything too taxing on it. Will eventually invest in a better emu PC...